}
Home     About     Contact     shop     featured     disclosure     shop my outfits                             

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

"I'll Be Seeing You"

I have just finished my packing! I never thought it would get done, but it finally is! This is going to be my second post of packing tips since my first seemed to go over so well! This time I will be giving packing tips for a longer trip such as a week or more. For my trip we are driving 12 hours (yes it's awful) and we are staying at a house that I have been to many times before. So I'm going to post tips for both flying and for car travel, and also tips for a traveler that has never been to their destination before. First I'll start off with a bulleted list of things that I think are most important for packing for long trips/vacations.
  • Always check the weather, I prefer weather.com. I print out the 10 day forecast so I can see the weather way in advance and can be prepared for whatever comes my way.
  • When you are packing, I find it best to do it all in one time. Don't pack some, then save he rest for another day. That just gets me all jumbled up, and I often times find that I end up forgetting something or pack too much of something. I allot myself 2 hours to do packing for a long trip.
  • If you hate packing like me, try to make it enjoyable. I put music on, and burn a candle. I don't recommend the TV because that can sometimes make you less focused on the task at hand!
  • I set out the luggage I will be using before I even start pulling clothes together. It's like setting your boundaries. I find that if you give yourself a space limit, you are a less likely to over-pack. For this trip, I set out two duffel bags, my laptop bag, and a tote bag. I will also have my purse. For airline travel, I recommend never using a soft bag. I would use one that will protect your belongings, because believe me; unfortunately, airlines do not treat your baggage with care.
  • The most important rule in my mind is that when packing, always stay in the mindset that overpacking makes unpacking that much worse.
First the background of my vacation spot:I know I will have a dresser, and other places to store all of my clothes. There is a washer and dryer, so if I must have something cleaned, it won't be a problem. There are towels, sunscreen, and bath products already at the house. The air conditioning makes the house very chilly at times, therefore, I must pack warm clothing. The weather is supposed to be in the upper 70s to low 80s so I'll also want some light clothing. There is a boat, so I know I'll need boating essentials such as croakies (to hold your sunglasses on your head when your on the jet ski), a hat, a warm coverup, and a sunglass case. So with that said, here are some pictures from my packing experience, I'll explain as I go...

Make a list. Start the list a few days early if necessary so you can add things that come to you. I never used to use a list, but I've found that making a list really does help you remember things you might not normally remember such as headbands, or a rain jacket, or even sunglasses.
  • After making a list, I start picking out clothing (The last post I wrote on packing was for a weekend trip. I said to lay out your clothing in outfits)For longer trips, I don't do that. Since it's a lot longer trip, I suggest taking several pairs of shorts, skirts, pants, dresses, and shirts. I still stick to somewhat of a color scheme if at all possible, that way I can mix and match, giving me more freedom to create outfits, and not have to stick to such a pre-planned wardrobe. When packing I start with basics, such as khaki or white colored shirts, shorts and skirts. Then I know if anything, I have basics which I think are most important. After the basics, I would go for the colors. My color pallete for this trip consists of red, white, and blue (basically a nautical theme).
L to R: 2 RL long sleeved oxford shirts and LP linen shirt (can be dressed up or down when apropriate),cotton shirts including polos, all bottoms (shorts, capris, and skirts, with one belt to match most bottoms). This will all go in one of my duffle bags along with my undergarmets and also bathing suits in the (next picture). Everything except the bathing suits will be going in the second duffle bag. These are the sweatpants/sweatshirts, pajamas, sweaters, and bathing suit cover-ups. The reason I have so many sweats and sweaters is because I know on the boat, I need either a sweater or a sweatshirt, and in the house at night, I sometimes even need sweatpants. Also I'm a big believer in coverups. Unless your on the pool deck, or on the dock or beach, then you absolutely need a cover-up. It's necessary at a residencey, inn, hotel, or resort; it really shows that you have class.
Another great tip in my book is even in the summer, always have warm clothing. It's one thing to be hot, but it's hard to fix if you are cold. Most hotels, pump in the air at very low temperatures, always bring a sweater to dinner. Speaking of cold, socks are a must. My feet always get so cold when the air conditioning is on, so I sometimes wear socks to bed.
The finished product. 1 tote to hold elecrtonics such as iTouch, phone charger, etc. Also holds spillover shoes, sweatshirt, dvd's, and books for the drive. 2 duffel bags filled with clothing. 1 hat to keep the sun out of my eyes and my laptop in my oh-so-cute case!
Also, if you're wondering, these L.L Bean duffels are not pink. In the catalog and online, they call this color pink. Really, it's more of a weird purple. Next time, I'm ordering the lime duffel with a hot pink monogram!

I hope these packing tips helped someone out there! Everyone that is traveling this summer, I hope your travels bring you happiness and serenity. Don't let packing ruin the excitement! This will be my last post probably until Saturday. Maybe I'll squeeze one in tomorrow ;) Do you have any packing musts?

Yours,
sCe

**As a side note, HP was SOOOOOO good. I loved every minute of it, and was so glad I got to see it the day it came out! I recommend it to all! I will for sure be seeing this again in theaters sometime soon.. maybe over vacation! (for all of you hardcore HP fans out there, like me, the only problem with the movie is that some parts are changed, and it feels like they go through the book so fast, and there really is not much fighting action)

17 comments:

Preppy Pink Crab said...

Looks like you have everything covered! Hope you have a great vacation!

Blackeyed_Susan said...

Fabulous tips :) Looks like you are ready! I always seem to forget bras or underwear..haha

I've started to just bring one duffel for all of the small stuff and a big garment bag for my outfits, I don't feel as loaded down that way and everything stays un-wrinkled. I hate wrinkles!

Bitsy said...

What a wonderful post! You are a very organized packer- I love that you make a list- I always do that. Of course, I have three people to pack for, so as I am packing, I carry around a notepad so that I can jot down things that I think of that need to be packed. Then, before I walk out the door, I check the list to be sure that I remembered everything!

Blankie- check
Pacis- check
bathing suits- check

Remember EVERYTHING- PRICELESS!!!

xoxo

Anonymous Prep said...

Your packing is so organized - I usually make lists but never get things in piles. It ends up in a big heap on the bed and then I have to fold. Have fun on your trip!

And I cannot wait to see HP - I already preordered my tickets.

*L* said...

Good tips! I'm a big fan of making a list in categories like that too. Have fun on vacation!!

RCaitlin said...

Ahhhh Harry Potter I have tickets for tonight! YAY! When I pack I usually talk to someone on the phone...it makes the process slower but much more enjoyable :)

K @ Blog Goggles said...

Wow - this is such a comprehensive packing guide! I used to travel four days a week, every single week, for two years, so I definitely got used to packing. My number one piece of advice is also on your list - know your boundaries!!

Headbands and Hand Bags said...

Such a great packing guide! I am always forgetting something when we go, like PJ's or a hair dryer, you look so organized and ready to go! I hope your i-pod is charged for that long drive! Have so so much fun!

Tim said...

Hey there! Found your blog thru a friends site. So glad I did. I hope you dont mind if I follow along.

I'm greek too by the way!

Please feel free to stop by and visit us at The Fort anytime, you are always welcome!

Love and Prayers,

Tim

♥Aubrey said...

I hope you didn't forget anything! What cute paper you wrote your list down on. What a good way to keep track of things needed. I always forget the simplest of things !

Brunch at Saks said...

Oh I love your packing tips! These are fabulous! Hope you have a safe drive and wonderful vacation! :) XOXO

Little Pink Magnolia said...

Wow you plan out packing so well! I'm such a last minute overpacker. And I loved the new HP too - I went to the midnight showing (I'm such a nerd), and am going to see it again soon with AK.

LawGirl said...

I'll definitely have to use some of these tips, I'll be packing for 2-3 weeks (not sure yet). The trip down will be in the car and the trip back by plane, so I have to really watch my space.

College Belle said...

Have a great time! Thanks for the suggestions!

KAC said...

Those tips are fantastic! I'm going on a week long trip with my family in a week so these packing tips are more than needed. Have a great time!!

theluckiestmrs said...

Thanks for the packing tips!! I'm sure you'll have a blast on your vacay & look super cute with all of your adorable outfits! ;) I'll be packing for a vacation soon, so I'll keep your tips in mind! Have fun!

Kate said...

Great packing tips!

I kinda liked that this HP wasn;t as action driven. But I can see how some fans didn't like that change