Thursday, November 5, 2009

Ring, Ring, Ring

With most people owning cell phones, it's hard to know when it is appropriate to use your cell phone and when it is not. I've really noticed this around my college campus whether it being during lunch or dinner, or in the library or in class. I am not really one to enforce the rules of cell phone behavior because I realize I at times even text message during class. However, I realize it takes my attention away from learning the material being taught, disrespects my teacher, and is distracting to other students. Here is my cell phone etiquette that I try to live by daily (although I do slip here and there!):

1. Your phone should either be turned off or on silent whenever you are in a movie, class, meeting, lunch or dinner with others, or even coffee with a friend.

2. If you have an emergency or are expecting a very important call, just let the person or persons you are with know that, and most will be very understanding. If you do happen to get that call when in the presence of others, excuse yourself and walk away to answer the call.

3. If you are at the symphony, opera, ballet or any type of play, turn off your phone. Town and Country just featured an article on how upset symphony conductors become if they hear a cell phone ring during their performance. Just wait until intermission to check your phone!

4. Never answer your phone when you are eating with anyone. Even if it is your best friend, I think it's a bit rude.

5. If you are in a doctors office, or a waiting room, have your phone on silent.

6. Don't talk about inappropriate things. I cannot tell you the things I have overheard in the library when girls are talking on their cell phone. Gross!

7. If you are on the phone, don't text someone else. How annoying is it when your talking on the phone with someone and you can hear them clicking away!

Well those are mine that I try and live by. Do you have any cell phone habits that annoy you? Have a fantastic day!
Yours,
sCe

12 comments:

The Wife of a Fisherman said...

I agree with all of your rules. I also think it is annoying when I am riding in a car with someone and they are talking on their cell phone.

Stafford Wife said...

This should go without saying but do not talk on the cell phone while in the restroom! I witnessed two young women in separate stalls both on the phone recently at a department store in Kansas City. One of them yelled to the other one a question about how to spell a word because she was texting while sitting on her "seat" while they were trying to plan their weekend.

Mrs EyeCanSee said...

I'd like to add NEVER talk or text while driving! The other day I was behind a car that was swerving everywhere. At first I thought hwe was drunk until I realized he was trying to read a map, eat, talk on his phone AND drive all at the same time.

I'll be the first to admit I talk on my phone when driving. It's hard to avoid. I think they should disable phones from working when in cars. Perhaps I will invent that!

Brunch at Saks said...

Perfect rules! Cell phones, while necessary at times, have turned into such a distraction in society! I can't stand when people are eating next to us and they're just gabbing away on the cell phone. Great post love XOXO

The First-Year Wife said...

I am so with you on all of these! It drives me crazy when people use their phones at inappropriate times. My 20 year old sister is guilty of every one of these. It's impossible to even have a conversation in person with her without her texting in the middle of it-- whether we're at a restaurant, walking in the mall, sitting in front of the tv. She was even sitting at the head table texting during my wedding reception. Frustrating!!

martha - ca knitter said...

These are great rules to follow. I wish everyone was considerate enough to put them to good use, especially the driving while talking on the phone...very dangerous. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Southern Champagne Wishes said...

I so agree! My best friend will always answer her cell phone when we are eating dinner at a restaurant. Then, instead of telling the person, I'm at dinner with Anna, she'll proceed to have a 10-15 minute conversation with them! It's rude to me, but also to the server who keeps trying to take our order. After that happened a couple of times, I just started telling the server that we were ready to order, so that she would hang up her phone!

...::Mrs. Southern Bride::... said...

I agree!

Carol said...

I totally agree!

LawGirl said...

Those are good rules! I try to follow them for the most part, although, when I was job searching I answered unknown numbers no matter where I was (except at the symphony, lol).

design gal said...

amen sista!

i just stumbled upon your blog and love it! good cell phone etiquette is a must!

Rosalyn Kay said...

I completely agree with these rules! Wouldn't it be great if everyone actually lived by them?

The other day I was in a class with a girl who was waiting on an important call (I'm assuming) and instead of putting it on vibrate, she had the ringer on. Then when it started ringing she didn't answer right away. She let it ring as she walked out the door. Really?

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure