Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Gloves for a Lady

I love the 1940s through the 1960s for fashion, elegance, and etiquette. I especially love watching Mad Men just because I love all of the fabulous clothing on both the men and the women. I have been noticing that through these 30 years in fashion history, often times, women are pictured with gloves regardless of the season. I absolutely love this elegant and lady-like look. So whenever I am about to try a new look, I tell my mom all about it. Her thoughts on this one are that since the gloves don't make any real sense unless it is cold outside that this is why the glove wearing has stopped on women. While I do see that their is no real function for wearing a pair of gloves in 65 degree weather, I still love the look.  So, does 2010 say that wearing gloves just look like a silly costume? Part of me wants to agree that women would look silly wearing gloves again, but the other part appreciates the elegant aspect. Here are some pictures of leading ladies dressed to impress avec des gants.


So what do you all think? Is this too passe to ever re-introduce into women's wardrobes? Maybe the trend is better left to history's leading ladies, but I have to say I do appreciate the look! Have a fabulous day!
Yours,
sCe

** Don't forget to enter my GIVEAWAY!

15 comments:

Pittsburgh Perambulations said...

While I agree with you that the style was absolutely beautiful, today it would just look so out of place. I think the only time I could possibly see it acceptible today would be at your wedding.

Pink Champagne said...

LOVE the look - so chic and classic. Although I'm not sure I could carry the look into my everyday look in warm weather... Wouldn't it have been such fun to live in the 40s and wear dresses with gloves all the time?

Grayson Saige said...

I completely agree with you. I have been loving wrist gloves for ages but just can't pull that off at school. I do keep suede driving gloves in my car for the fall though!

mFw said...

Love the gloves! The debutante balls in STL always wear the long formal white gloves and I love it!

Seersucker Scrapper said...

I love this post!

I think hats and gloves should be brought back. Very elegant!

melifaif said...

I would never be shocked to see this come back as a "trend" but it is oh so lovely to associate these with the lovely fashion of fashions past.

Southern Champagne Wishes said...

I would love it if wearing gloves became "the norm" again! It's so elegant and fabulous.

Kate (Southern-Belle-Simple) said...

what gorgeous images! i love your adorable blog and i've given you a blogger award today!

http://southernbellesimple.blogspot.com/2010/07/oh-my-goodness-oh-my-goodness.html

JMW said...

I wore white morning gloves (wrist-length) on my wedding day. For occasions like that, I think it's perfect to break out the gloves. :)

***Positively Preppy in Pink*** said...

Grace Kelly is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE. Love the gloves -- so fun!

Pittsburgh Perambulations said...

Oh hey, S, you got another award! This time, from ME! ;-)

Preppy 101 said...

I love them, too. I still have my long white gloves from many years ago. I think with the right outfit, occasion, cooler weather you could pull this off. The 3/4 length looks great with a suit. I say go for it. You might start a "new" old trend. Check ebay and vintage stores for some lovely pairs! xoxo

Sarah said...

I absolutely love the style of the 1940s-60s. I always said if I could go back in time, it would be to the 1950s when ladies were elegant & life seemed so much more simple, yet glamorous! I agree that gloves are chic--but only with the right ensemble! They could probably be pulled off at a fancy event (if there is such a thing these days).

living well said...

I love the idea of wearing gloves too! It's so lady like! Sometimes I feel like I was born in the wrong era, lol!

P.S. I left you an award on my blog!

prepfection said...

Looking at old photos always makes me so nostalgic for a time I never even lived in! Love them all, especially Jackie O, swoon.

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure