Saturday, September 11, 2010

I Remember September 11, 2001


Nine years ago today, is a day in which I will remember for the rest of my life.I remember sitting in my third period class in sixth grade, it was a gorgeous, sunny day. It was the very beginning of the period and all of the sudden, the principal came over the loudspeaker. He explained to us that a plane had just crashed into the World Trade Center. I remembering not having a clue what was going on. The class started to talk and the teacher didn't really make a big deal out of it and class resumed as normal. Then, there was another announcement shortly after the first saying that another plane had hit. I was extremely confused, so therefore, panic didn't really set in. Then, as the day went on, I can remember, all of the TVs were on in every classroom. I knew something was up because teachers never used the TV to watch actual live TV. Some teachers would talk to us about it, some teachers were very upset, and a lot didn't even bring it up.

I remember thinking to myself that I had been to NYC only a few months prior to visit my aunt and uncle who live and work in the city. We had actually stayed in the Marriott in the World Trade Center and not even two months had passed since then.

As the day went on, class became so interrupted with the phone ringing. Students were getting called out of school and by the end of the day, I doubt there were many students still at school. I remember my mom picking me up from school and I'm not sure what the conversation was but I remembering walking in the door to my house and seeing my dad at the TV. The screen was filled with saddening images. There was video of people jumping out of windows- these images I will have burned into my memory forever now.

I also remember being afraid because one of the planes had hit in Shanksville, PA. If you haven't been reading my blog, I am from Pittsburgh, PA and Shanksville is southeast of Pittsburgh and very close to where we ski every winter. Growing up, we had a mountain house that was a short drive away from Shanksville.

I remember my parents telling me that my Aunt was staying at the Mariott in the WTC. I remember my dad taking phone calls often to see if my Aunt could somehow get to my other Aunt and Uncle who live in NYC. Looking back on it now, I can't imagine being in that situation, especially when the city is so foreign.

All in all, what I am trying to say is to remember this day. Remember it in its entirety because you were alive to witness this infamous day. Remember that because of this day, close to 3,000 innocent lives were lost. They were someones mother, father, sister, husband, wife, brother, aunt, uncle, best friend, mentor, grandparent, etc. Because of the hate that some people can carry for others, close to 3,000 children lost parents. Even though it was nine years ago, the event impacted every US citizen in one way or another. Soon, it will have happened 20 years ago, then 30 and 40 years will pass but you can't let the years erase this day. 

We are so lucky to live in the USA and I can speak for myself when I say that sometimes I take it for granted. Take a moment today to stop everything and give thanks to God, Allah, Buddah or whatever you may believe in. Be thankful for the life you live in the United States of America.

Even though I walk 
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, 
for you are with me; 
your rod and your staff, 
they comfort me. 
Psalm 23:4
God Bless America, 
sCe

3 comments:

Lauren @ Dreams Take Flight said...

So eloquently said. I can't believe it's been 9 years...

Prad Savania said...

Hello, how’s it going? Wow, great post and BlogSpot indeed!

Love Heels??

You should definitely check out my shoe design BlogSpot! All my designs are hand-drawn too! I am hoping that my illustrations will help me get a foot into the footwear designing industry! Take care x

Louboutininthemaking.blogspot.com

caknitter said...

Thank you for sharing your story. I remember this day clearly. My city turned into a deserted town with few cars on the road and all shops closed. Surreal.
I'm assuming and hoping your aunt was safe at the end of the day.
Have a great weekend.

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure