Churchill Downs will be hustling and bustling this Saturday for the 137th Kentucky Derby! I definitely wish I could be in attendance, but sadly I will be in Pittsburgh-- No worries though, I will be celebrating as if I were there. Usually the Kentucky Derby falls on a weekend when I am not home from school yet, however, this year, I will be home! My aunt holds a yearly party because May 7 also happens to be my cousin's birthday so I can't wait to dress the part.
Kentucky Derby 2011 by summerwind41490
The necessities to any good Kentucky Derby celebration:
- Mint Juleps-- The Food Network has a great recipe, click here.
- A hat is a MUST... sunglasses too if you want to be extra covered. I have several hats that I have required over the years from going to various horse races and I love wearing them! Invest in a good hat because you can use it for years not only at horse races but they are perfect for the beach or at the pool!
- Next up is a colorful dress! I always think that Lilly is the best contender when it comes to horse races, however, Milly, J. McLaughlin, Kate Spade, Talbots, Calypso, and Emma Graham are also all great choices. You can go with a solid colored dress like the pink Kate Spade dress pictured above, or go for a print like the other three dresses above. Personally, I'm always one to opt for print or color when I can.
- Next shoes! The shoe options are endless. Think colorful espadrilles, nude pumps, Jack Rogers, or just about any fun sandal or heel you can get your hands on.
- As for jewelry, I like to keep it simple and go with pearl studs and pearl accessories, however, if you have the perfect cocktail/statement jewelry to pair with your dress, then go for it!
- Last but not least, the handbag-- because you have to have somewhere to store your winnings, right? I would opt for a simple but bright clutch like the Kate Spade clutch picture above!
Will you be watching the Kentucky Derby? Or will you be one of the lucky ones to be in attendance? Who are you rooting for and do you have your hat all ready to go? Have a fabulous day!