}
Home     About     Contact     shop     featured     disclosure     shop my outfits                             

Monday, November 4, 2013

Smoking hot?

As a 23 year old girl, I would say that I "go out" quite frequently (at least once a weekend, if not more.. in college it was more). By "go out" I mean attend a party/event or go to a bar/out to dinner and drinks. It's "the thing" to do when you are in your 20's... Truth be told, bars/clubs aren't really my scene, but every once in a while I have a great time with my friends...and I certainly don't mind a tall glass of champagne or an ice cold g&t.

Sometimes when I am out, I feel like I am doing some sort of anthropological study on the 20-something culture. You see all different types of behavior and sometimes it's just weird. One thing I cannot and will never understand are all of the young people who are lighting up cigarettes.

I read an article in a past 2012 issue of Town and Country  that discussed the lost glamour of lighting up. Gone are the days where it is consider "sexy" for a woman to ask a man to light her cigarette... why are these days gone? Well, I'm pretty sure that we all know the answer to this one. Yet whether frequenting bars in Pittsburgh, DC, at JMU, etc... there are always people smoking outside. Part of me wants to walk right up to them and ask them what could possibly be their reasoning for smoking and the other part of me wants nothing to do with them. I've heard many say, "I only smoke when I drink." But to me, I am thinking, why smoke at all?

"You" put on sunscreen, "you" wear your seat belt, "you" wear a helmet, "you" never drink and drive... the list can go on forever... "you" do all of these precautionary measures, and then you decide to light up? I just don't get it.

So readers, weigh in... Am I the only 20-something that doesn't get my age group's behavior? Please tell me none of you smoke!!!! Have a fabulous (and smoke-free) day! 
Yours, 
sCe

16 comments:

Katherine Diane said...

I totally agree! I don't understand anyone under 40 who smokes... I mean we've always know the affects of cigarettes and second hand smoke! I don't even understand how the habit starts, it's just stupid! Plus I hate going to a bar and coming out smelling like an ash tray. EWW!

Angela Duke said...

You are not alone. It's nasty.

Keelin S. said...

I am SO with you on this one! While I'm still in college, I see it so often and I just don't get the appeal. Plus the smell is awful! I totally have the same thought process too - I always want to go up to them and ask them why they do it, but then again I don't want to deal with people who are smoking!

ZLAM!
~ Keelin

Kelly Crusenbery said...

I totally agree!! I can not stand smoke. I especially hate when I'm walking behind someone on campus, which is all hills & a challenge anyways, with or without the smoke blowing in my face. I always make a point to say if I wanted lung cancer I would give it to myself, not from someone else.

Maggie Reardon said...

Agreed! Such a great comparison, if you are going to put on sun screen and wear a helmet, why keep smoking? Great post!

Kelly said...

You're not alone! I actually stopped dating someone once because I found out that he smoked. it's vile.

Katy King said...

Totally agree with you. I've never understood smoking, and can't stand the 'only when I'm drinking excuse'. Trust me, you'll still be hearing that in your later 20's.
Katy @ Classic Katy

Holly said...

I cannot stand it! I have asthma and smoke is a super high trigger for me. Our favorite bar has a lot of porches and outside areas so people can smoke just about everywhere and it's gotten to the point that it ruins going to the bar for me!

eHa said...

My parents are doctors so they really know why not to smoke and I guess that rubbed off on me. I also have asthma so smoking and being around people who smoke has never really been an option for me. I have no idea why anyone would start smoking especially since it will give you wrinkles and cancer. But this is a free country so you can do what you like even if its stupid.

eHa
http://exileinvacationland.blogspot.com

Lauren said...

I agree with you 100% ! Why people our age choose to smoke especially with all the known effects smoking can have on one's health.

Lauren,
http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/

Portuguese Prepster said...

I am so with you! I hate smoking, I think it's so gross.

JR Mazur said...

Fellow 20-something who feels out of touch with what is the "norm" for us

Elle said...

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm in business school at Duke right now and I was completely floored by the amount of people who I'll see standing outside smoking! I mean, it's not as if they aren't well educated. I think the thing that bugs me most is that second-hand smoke is even worse than smoking, so not only are they killing themselves but also those around them.

LC @ Old House Now said...

Agreed. I will NEVER understand smoking. It's not pretty, sexy, or cute. Especially in this day and age when we all know full well how dangerous it is. Although, since I work in medical sales and specialize in oxygen-related products, I say if you're dumb enough to do it, have at it, and I"ll sell you a concentrator once you develop COPD and can no longer breathe on your own. Too harsh??

Lauren Middledorf said...

This past summer at 21 years old I had to get lung surgery for a condition that I was born with. I have never smoked a thing in my life and it makes me so upset when I see people with perfectly healthy lungs deliberately ruining their bodies. Half the time I can't even go out with my friends since most of the bars in my college town allow smoking! This is a great post -- It is nice to know other 20 somethings can't stand it either!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I'm 29 and I don't get it either! I think it's so gross and people know now what's up with smoking and the dangers!!!