Friday, January 3, 2014

The Best of Netflix

Netflix
I feel like in January and February, all I want to do after work and sometimes even on the weekends are hunker down with movies, blankets and tea and set up camp on the couch...which is when Netflix becomes an enabler.


I have a serious love/hate relationship with Netflix. Sometimes, I feel like they have nothing and other times, they have exactly what I want (Like Charade. SO GOOD). I also have the hardest time picking something to watch. It's like I spend 30 minutes scrolling through just to find something (I mean seriously, what a rough life I lead, ha!). And then, I don't end up fully paying attention because I usually use Netflix on my iPad or Wii while I am blogging. Ohhh the struggles. Well, I thought it'd be fun to share what I am loving on Netflix right now and then you can share what you are loving. Ohh and as a side-note... my mom pronounces Netflix as 'NetflAx' and I get a kick out of it every time.

American Psycho
Quite possibly one of the greatest movies ever. Based on Brett Easton Ellis' novel, this movie, starring Christian Bale (swoon), is quite literally psycho. But let me tell you, I could watch it again and again. Although it came out in 2000, I only first watched it my freshman year of college-- I've come back to it year after year; never gets old. I also love Miles Fisher's recreation of some of the American Psycho scenes in his 'This Must Be the Place' music video....great rendition of Talking Head's original tune!

Scandal 
This is a must watch. It's a political drama based in DC and the main character, Olivia Pope, played by Kerry Washington, is a boss.  This series is written by Shonda Rhimes, the woman who also wrote Grey's Anatomy... woman's got a talent! Once you start this series, you won't be able to stop. Oh and Olivia's style is out of this world.

The Breakfast Club
A great, classic 80's movie. Perfect background noise to have on while working. If you haven't seen this yet, it's a must. They have Pretty and Pink, too, which is very similar.

Metropolitan
It's a little slow but super witty and is apparently based on Whit Stillman, the writer/producer's life after his first year of college. It's filmed in 1990, so it's a bit dated, but worth watching!

The Carrie Diaries
I started this series on Netflix and couldn't stop. It's supposed to be based on Carrie pre-Sex and the City. It's really good and not to mention Austin Butler is SO cute.

Gossip Girl
I mean, does this need any explaining. It's crazy how this show was on from when I was 17 through 22... I spent my entire college years pretending I was Blair... I wish.

Skyfall
Because it's James Bond. This is one where you have to pay attention...aka no blogging/texting/instagram/etc.

Mad Men
Even if you just watch for the style, it's worth it. The acting is on point and Betty (January Jones) is awesome. The later season get a little weird, and some episodes are slow, but keep with it because it's one of my favorite series ever.

I Don't Know How She Does It
Sarah Jessica Parker stars in this and it's slow and weird, but for some reason I like it... it's about a career woman trying to balance work and family-- kind of relevant to any woman's life.

Maid In Manhattan
Throwback to 2002, JLo is awesome in this. Such a cute story.

Breakfast at Tiffany's
A true classic that every woman will love. Audrey is the best...although she's definitely goofy in this film!

Honorable mentions: Pretty Little Liars, House of Cards, The Lorax, Grey's Anatomy, Love Actually, LOL

Not worth your time: What to Expect When Expecting, Young Adult, New York I Love You, Friends With Kids

Guilty Pleasure: Pretty Wild (Incredibly embarrassing, can't believe I just admitted to that...)


So what are your Netflix favorites? I am always looking for recommendations. Have a fabulous day!

Yours, 

13 comments:

Violet Clouds said...

Metropolitan is kind of a Christmas break movie for me, I love Taylor Nichols' character. Have you seen Damsels in Distress?

Molly said...

I agree, Young Adult was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Glad you've managed to find some diamonds in the rough. Happy Netflixing!

rebecca said...

My favorite show on Netflix this year was "Orange Is The New Black." I'm not going to lie, it's a weird show. The first few minutes of even the first episode make you consider turning it off, but it is so good!

Lauren said...

I will have to check out some of your suggestions! Thanks for sharing!

Lauren,
http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/

Anonymous said...

Guilty Pleasure - Breaking Bad!

I have to be anonymous, because it's embarrassing how much I liked that show, and it was so, Not Me!

Portuguese Prepster said...

o I share your addiction! My favorites on Netflix are House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, and gossip girl! I can't believe you watch pretty wild...so do I!!!!! It's grossly addicting. My guilty pleasure is my American Gypsy Wedding, it's so over the top!

Unknown said...

you have got to watch the documentary "the short game" I have already watched it twice!

Unknown said...

Netflix is getting a ton of new stuff for 2014! Big Bang Theory and Modern Family are coming among other great movies.

Unknown said...

Netflix is getting all new stuff for 2014! Modern Family & Big Bang Theory among a bunch of classic movies! So excited.

Ally said...

I will definitely have to check some of these out! Gossip Girl is usually my go to on netflix, I've literally watched the entire series 4 times!

Kate said...

I don't have Netflix but PLL (and now Ravenswood) is definitely a guilty pleasure! I really want to rewatch Gossip Girl

Unknown said...

you have have to watch love and other disasters it's such a cute brit rom com!
xx, Bess
bellesinbows.com

Anna Italiano said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who watches Pretty Wild! Haha
-Anna
sangriasandsequins.blogspot.com

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure