Friday, April 29, 2016

An Afternoon at Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens in Pittsburgh, PA

Chihuly at Phipps

An Afternoon at Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens in Pittsburgh, PA

An Afternoon at Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens in Pittsburgh, PA

ralph lauren oxford cloth shirt and rag and bone boyfriend shorts with louis vuitton speedy 30

bananas at Phipps in Pittsburgh pA

Cafe Phipps at Phipps in Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh PA Phipps

Review of Phipps in Pittsburgh

Phipps Botanical Garden and Conservatory in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania

Pittsburgh Fashion Blogger at Phipps Conservatory

Orchids at Phipps Botanical Garden

Chihuly glass sculptures at Phipps Conservatory in Pittsburgh PA

Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Garden

Chanel Flats (similar)// Speedy 30// Sunglasses

Glad you made it this far after scrolling through all of those photos! I wanted to include a bunch because of how amazingly gorgeous Phipp's Conservatory and Botanical Gardens really is! It's located in Schenley Park in the Oakland area of Pittsburgh-- kind of right in between the University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University! It's probably one of the most picturesque areas/places in all of Pittsburgh! 

It was built in 1893 and is a historic landmark. The building itself is so unique and breathtaking. It is compromised of various themed rooms that you can weave in and out of. For example, one room is home to all different sorts of palm plants. Another room was host to the 'Congo' and showed plants native to that area. There is even an area where all sorts of vegetables are growing. You can see bananas in one of the photos above! 

I think my favorite room had to have been the butterfly room. I don't really like bugs or even butterflies, but I set my fears aside and went in! There were so many different kinds fluttering about! It was also cool to learn about the different types and you could see all of the chrysalises about to hatch! We came on the early end of the hatching period, but apparently there are even more that come out later in spring and a lot of the time, they will land on guests! 

Another fun aspect of Phipps is that there are pieces of Chihuly artwork interspersed throughout each of the rooms. The sculptures almost blend right in with the greenery and flowers! They were all so beautiful and unique and really added something unexpected and fun. You can see a few in the photos above. 

I went with my friend Amanda who has the cutest 6-month-old daughter, Capri (see her post, here). It was so much fun to stroll Capri around and catch up with Amanda. A perfect girls afternoon was had. We stopped into the Cafe for lunch. The cafe is voted one of the best museum restaurants in the country and I can totally see why! They had indoor and outdoor seating options. It is cafeteria style where you order at the counter and throw away your own plates.

I got a salad because I really wanted to taste the freshness of the food. Their fruits and vegetables are grown right on site in the garden and everything is organic. Silly me, I asked if they had diet coke and they looked at me like I was asking for straight vodka shots (they weren't rude, though!). It turns out they don't carry soda or anything that's 'unhealthy'. Oops! Instead, they had offered me a delicious drink made from sparkling water and fresh fruit juice. Yum! 

My outfit for the afternoon was super simple. I knew we would be doing a lot of walking and you never know what you will get yourself into when hanging out with a 6-month-old baby, haha! So I dressed comfortably and casually. I was actually super hot in my shirt because it is a greenhouse, the rooms are very warm and some were even humid. All in all, it was such a fun experience. If you are in Pittsburgh I couldn't recommend it more. It's great for groups, as a date (it's open until 10pm on Fridays!), and families. 

3 comments:

Regine Karpel said...

Love.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Sarah Wissinger said...

My friend is getting married at Phipps in two weeks! It's going to be a gorgeous wedding. The whole property is beautiful!

Sarah
www.thesurznickcommonroom.com

Bess Pearson said...

We have Chihuly in Denver last summer! It was a really neat exhibit especially in the Botanic Gardens. Love those shorts!

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure