Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Enjoy the Small Things


This post is going to be a little different than usual. In fact, it reminds me a lot of the 'good old days' of blogging. If you started reading blogs 'back in the day' then you remember they were more of a personal diary rather than all of these crazy styled shoots you see everywhere (guilty!) and crazy luxurious travels (also sometimes guilty). 

I have made a very sincere effort to include more iPhone photos in my posts and not only just shoot with my iPhone but more 'real life' moments that are not perfect or styled... but they're me and my life! That's why I started blogging in the first place and why I fell in love with reading blogs. 

So here's to trying out an 'old model' blog post (something I might have posted 8 years ago)- let me know what you think in the comments. If you're not loving it, I'll leave them out, but I personally would love to share these types of posts here and there! Your feedback is always appreciated! 

Today's post is about this past weekend. I'm beating a dead horse with this, but I was really sick all last week and just started to come around on Friday. I had 8pm dinner date reservations at one of the nicest restaurants in Pittsburgh for restaurant week. I had been so excited for the night. 

I knew I could have pushed myself to go to dinner, but I also knew I wouldn't truly be able to enjoy it. I wasn't feeling getting all dressed up and I definitely didn't even want a glass of wine.

So I decided to cancel the reservations, ordered pizza, and watched a movie. I was asleep by 9:30. the next day, I slept until 10am. Best sleep ever. I then lounged in my pajamas with cups of coffee almost all morning and into the afternoon. 

Then, after a long nap, I got a much-needed mani/pedi!  Afterward, we went to Grandpa Joe's which is a magical place. It's a candy shop that has small boxes that you can fill up with allll of the candy you could imagine. The best part is that it's only $5! That's what you see in the photo at the top! 

Followed by dinner at Jade Grill which is a great restaurant in Mt. Lebanon. Their lo mein is the best I've ever had. We then capped off the night with Betsy's ice cream which is right next door. It's a cute little shop with great ice cream- I especially love their Pittsburgh pride flavor. 

I was planning on just going home and going to bed (it was only 8:30) but it was such a nice night so we took Henry for a walk along the riverwalk. I rarely walk Henry at night because I don't like walking him alone at night by myself so this was something different and he loved a night walk! The Pirates were having a firework night so we waited along the river for the fireworks. The weather was so perfect- not really cool but there was a hint of fall in the air. I sat along the riverwalk and just soaked in the city. For me, it's always go, go go. I always have plans and rarely stop to look around. It reminded me of how much I love my city! We stayed for all of 2 fireworks before we had to leave! Like Mac, Henry HATED the fireworks. Oh my goodness the fear in his eyes was SO real. I felt so bad so we rushed him back to my apartment. 

Sunday rolled around and I finally felt almost 100% better! All that rest really did work. We walked to the Strip District. It felt like fall and I loved being able to wear a jacket! 

Sunglasses// Lip Color (it's actually a balm and the best balm EVER)

Sneakers (everything else is old lululemon and no longer in stock)

Henry loves the Strip and I'm always glad when I'm able to bring him along. We stopped at La Prima Espresso which is my favorite coffee spot in Pittsburgh. It feels like you're in Italy! Then we walked over to Smallman Galley to check out brunch at Home! I had a short rib omelet that was SO good. If you are in Pittsburgh you must go! 

I have to brag a little (although I am so biased). Henry is SO well behaved. There are always so many people in the Strip and Henry walks right by my side. He always listens to commands and he just sat nicely and patiently for a solid 10 minutes while I drank my coffee. I'm not really sure how I got so lucky with him. 
Then we enjoyed laying in the sun (although it doesn't look like it in this photo) at the club and I ended the evening by having dinner with my parents.

I had zero plans this past weekend, which is a real rarity for me. It was the most refreshing and relaxing weekend I have had in a while. So fulfilling! Have you had a weekend like that lately?!

12 comments:

Sharon R. said...

I really enjoy all of your posts, but I loved this throw-back style blog. I hope you do more of them. I agree with you -- you really lucked out with Henry. He sounds great.

Annsterw said...

I love your old school blog posts as much as the "styled" posts. That is when I started following you all those years ago! It does not hurt that you are a fellow Pittsburgh-er! LOL! :-)

Kirkland said...

loved the "real life" and "genuine" glimpse of a couple of days in your blog

Laura Baker Busic said...

I definitely love "old school blogging" posts like this!! It's always good to just appreciate life for whatever it bring you. I'm glad you're feeling better!

Unknown said...

I truly prefer these types of posts! I feel like I got a nice little insight into lifestyle and into Pittsburgh! Far more enjoyable to me than scrolling through 12 pictures of a blogger in the same outfit. (I still like those posts but I only need like 3 pictures of an outfit.)

Unknown said...

Loved this post, Sydney! I've definitely been enjoying more old-school blogging posts. Your Lately posts are always my favorite to read!

www.dj-gallagher.com

Cee Cee from KY said...

I really like old school blogging. I know bloggers always say "opinions are their own" and they only feature things that they genuinely like etc with sponsor links. But, it's a lot easier to genuinely like something when it's free, right? ha So, I really appreciate the real life, down to earth, here's what's happening in my life type stuff you just dont see anymore.

Lexy said...

I loved this - I appreciate the “real life posts” - I get tired of seeing highly stylized shoots and love the normality - i miss old instagram jn this sense!! Keep it coming!

MaggieMcCurdy said...

Loved this post!!! Personally I miss the more freeform, spontaneous format that blogs used to have. Your more styled posts are always stunning but I really enjoy content like this!

Would you consider doing a weekly round-up of your work outfits? Perhaps just old school iPhone photos?

Chelsey said...

I enjoy a bit of both, the real life and the styled posts!

Christy DuBois said...

I enjoy posts like this and to be honest most of the time I can't tell when pictures are taken with a phone or with a DSLR camera. Of course I'm not a photography professional but I would say most of us reading aren't. Glad you are over your illness and could stay in too get well. Having to be at work because of deadlines etc while sick is the worst. I no longer work outside my home but I will never forget some of the times when I was running 102 temp and at work because things had to keep going and no one else knew how to do it. Thanks for this post and all of your post. Your content is always good and it seems on this end that you don't even have to try. I am sure you can do a post a lot easier now just through repetition and experience than you could years ago but I am also sure there is still a lot of work in most posts. And yours are always so helpful and interesting. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I truly miss blogs like they used to be and am looking forward to more posts like this!
For me to read for example how the bags you bought are keeping up in real life or how you plan for the christmas season is interesting- I most likely only scroll through styled pics.

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure