Friday, January 25, 2013

My Kinda Town, Chicago is

I mentioned last week that I was in Chicago for work. It was my first time and I absolutely fell in love with the city. Despite the cold temperatures, the gorgeous architecture, cleanliness, abundance of delicious food and fabulous shopping won me over. While I was working most of the time, I did manage to take in the city. Below are some of the highlights of the trip. Sorry about the poor photo quality. I only had my iPhone with me!

I posted this on Instagram (@SummerWind41490) but have to tell you that RPM Italian (Giuliana and Bill Rancic's restaurant) was incredible. It was Italian food with an updated twist. Everything I tasted was delicious, plus the atmosphere was chic and  metropolitan. 

I loved the tall buildings. I am a true city girl at heart. It kind of helped that our view was of Michigan Avenue. We had a clear shot of the gorgeous Burberry store.. a fabulous site to wake up to in the morning. 

Thursday night, I had some free time so I high-tailed it to the Magnificent Mile (which was so conveniently located right outside of our hotel door) and shopped, shopped, shopped. I spied these gorgeous pink/green silk loafers at Brooks Brothers. I'm thinking they would look fabulous with white pants come summer. 

I loved how the trees lining Michigan Avenue were all lit up... it made shopping all the more magical ;). 

No Chicago trip is complete without a stop at Ralph Lauren. I immediately called my mom and told her that I think that the store is what Heaven looks like. It was immaculate. 

Isn't it perfect? I was all set to move in. 

We also noshed at Cantina Laredo. Mexican and Chic. Yes, there is such a thing! It was delicious! Another restaurant where we had fabulous Italian fare was Riccardo's. Seriously, Chicago, A+ on your food and shopping. 

Also not pictured.. the Zara. It was HUGE. I could have spent days in just that store! What are your favorite things about Chicago? I've been doing a ton of research because I plan to return for a weekend in the summer and visit all of the things I didn't get a chance to see... like the bean... Well, I saw it from taxis, at least! Have a fabulous day! 

Yours, 
sCe

7 comments:

Suburban prep said...

The shoes are wonderful --the ones from Burberry. For some reason Chicago area actually got hit with a tiny bit of snow so Would have to wait to wear those shoes.

Let The Tide Pull Your Dreams Ashore said...

Looks like you had a great time in the windy city! We love the restaurant Sable. Its small plates so can try lots of different items! xx

Chelsea Oliver said...

Looks like a great trip! I love everything about the city so I would've been in awe of everything haha!

-Chelsea
chelsandthecity.blogspot.com

E said...

I'm from Chicago's North Shore. If you go back in the summer I would recommend taking in an outdoor concert at Ravinia in Highland Park and going to Chicago Botanic Garden in Glencoe. So you could walk through the gardens in the afternoon and head to a concert afterward since they are next to each other. The Chicago Symphony Orchestra plays at Ravinia frequently in the summer.

In the city, I would suggest going up to the top of the Sears Tower, the Willis Tower these days, or the top of the Hancock to see the view. I also love going to the Field Museum. It has a room full of large gems. I would also recommend take in a Cubs game at Wrigley Field.

Caroline said...

I visited Chicago this summer and I fell in love as well! I'm impressed that you braved the cold weather and still loved it though :)

Kelsea said...

I traveled to Chicago last summer for a quick work trip and absolutely loved it, wish I had more time to explore as you did! The itailan there is great, will have to try those restuarants next time!

the preppy debutante said...

I agree with Elyse. I also lived on the North Shore and Ravinia is a blast! LL Bean is in Skokie, next to Evanston, at Old Orchard Mall. I would also recommend an afternoon shopping at the boutiques along the North Shore (Evanston, Winnetka, Glencoe & Highland Park) because they are unique to the area and cannot be found in Chicago. If you have to pick one or two towns, I would pick Winnetka & Highland Park. We have very cute, preppy shops and it is easy to walk to all of them. The NS is just 10 miles from downtown Chicago up Lake Shore Drive.

Also, try the RL Grill next to the RL store you visited. Even if it is simply for a cocktail or dessert, you will be glad you stopped in!

One last thing, the Taste of Chicago is in the summer, downtown. It is a great experience too. There is just too much to do there! :)

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure