Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Breton Stripe Shirt: Minquiers 10 vs. Meridien II


In my mind, there are very few items of clothing more chic that a Breton striped shirt. A simple classic piece, you really can't go wrong. It's unisex and flatters most figures. Throw it on over a bathing suit in July, or over a chambray shirt in November. It's virtually seasonless. 


It's also one of those rare pieces that never ever goes out of style. Ever. Case in point? My dad rocking a breton stripe shirt in the very early '90's (he's pictured with my great grandfather and uncle) and then again in the early 2000's. He still has this shirt and wears it even now! 


If you don't own a breton stripe shirt, originally made for the French Navy in the 1800's, then you definitely should consider it. Saint James is the classic when it comes down to it. The shirt is a tad on the pricey end for a t-shirt, but it is a quality piece that will no doubt last for years. Before you drop $100 on a striped tee, here's how you can decide between the two classics: Minquiers 10 or the Meridien II... or maybe just get both ;).

Minquiers 10
This shirt is made of soft combed cotton. Pretty much has the feel of soft jersey cotton. The neck is a rounded neck. 

Meridien II
This is the same straight fit as the Minquiers 10 but instead of combed cotton, it is made of carded cotton. This is personally my favorite between the two. The carded cotton is a much thicker, sturdy material. In the description, both the Minquiers 10 and the Meridien II have round necks, but to me, it seems like the Meridien II has more of a boatneck. 

Sizing
Sizing runs big, so you can either buy your normal size and wear it as a more boyfriend fit, or you can size down for a slimmer fit. The shirt is meant to be boxy and almost shapeless. I actually prefer wearing it bigger. 



Scroll through to see a bunch of different Breton shirts at different price points. I've even included one that you can have monogrammed


In general, I have a blue striped shirt hoarding problem. 50% of my closet is made up of them. I can't seem to get enough. I thought this illustration that I found on Pinterest would resonate with some of you, too ;). Do you have a Breton stripe shirt? Have a fabulous day! 
Yours, 
Original photo #1 via

3 comments:

Monica {Cake and Lilies} said...

Love that you broke these down...I've had one on my list for awhile but haven't been sure what size or style to get (and unfortunately "all of them" can't be the answer!)

Unknown said...

I feel the same way about striped shirts! I have SO many! You can never have too many though! Thanks for a great post!

Lauren said...

I love those shirts and I can never get enough of stripes!

Lauren,
http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure