Monday, June 30, 2014

Butcher and the Rye


Last week my girlfriends and I headed to Butcher and the Rye for happy hour/dinner. I had not been to  this bar/restaurant located in the cultural district in downtown Pittsburgh but had been wanting to try it since it has opened! I am certainly singing its praises now that I have been! It is without a doubt the coolest restaurant in Pittsburgh-- cozy, chic, eclectic are all words I would use to describe the incredible decor. I mean really, I'd go again if only just to take in the decor-- it is spot on and not a detail was overlooked. 


My bff Lauren and I taking a quick snapchat selfie outside of Heinz Hall which is right across the street from Butcher and the Rye. For those unfamiliar with Pittsburgh, Heinz Hall is an incredible theater where the Pittsburgh Symphony performs.
With my bff Amanda who just started her blog, Satin Sundays! I have been loving her blog and she has been doing such an amazing job keeping up with it. Not to mention, it's a great blog for gluten free recipes... Amanda is highly allergic to gluten and she is the most amazing cook/baker.. she frequently posts gluten free recipes that I can vouch are absolutely delicious! 

I sipped on the Bee's Knees which was a gin and lemon cocktail. Their cocktails feature fresh ingredients and have a lot of small batch liquor to choose from, no to mention 350+ bourbons. For Pittsburgh standards, the cocktails were pricier than average, but delicious nonetheless. 



We had our first drink on the downstairs level which is where the main bar is. It has an amazing wall of liquor and an incredible chandelier. The bills come in old books where you can actually leave a note in the book and then flip through the book to see what others have written-- a really neat touch! When I say the restaurant is impeccably designed, their beer taps were even 'in character'... one was a gun, one was a gauge, etc. Really neat!

After our first cocktail, we headed upstairs to the second bar. This bar is cozy with luxe tufted leather banquettes, kitschy sconces, taxidermic animals and another really unique and perfectly styled bar. This is the absolute place to go for date night-- I would think this would be idea for the winter months because of how cozy it is. We loved the private feeling and had plenty of time to catch up with each other over food and drinks. There is an even more extensive cocktail book to order from in the upstairs lounge but they also have the cocktail list from the downstairs bar, too. The only complaint I have for the entire night is that this lounge area is dark... I mean so dark we were whipping out our iPhones to turn on the flashlight to read the menu-- everyone else was too. It made us feel like our parents in a dimly lit restaurant, but this area was so dark it was like a cave. 

The photo of the brussel sprouts don't even do this dish justice. They were honestly the most incredible brussel sprouts I have ever eaten. They seemed roasted with some sort of light lemon aioli. We're talking incredible. Amanda got scallops and they were also amazing and served on a bed of crab risotto with wilted kale on top. Lauren and I split the s'mores sundae which had fried ice cream. Yum. The only criticism is that we ordered the cheese plate... while it was presented beautifully it was awful, there were like 3 bites of cheese. Definitely not worth it.





I was coming straight from work so I wore a gingham shirt dress (similar here and here), brown leather belt (similar), peeptoe wedges (similar), a gold cuff and sunglasses. Let me just give a quick sidenote: This place is definitely not the place to wear a gingham shirtdress-- it has a very downtown vibe, but it was a last minute decision to go there so I just owned it. C'est la vie, right? If I was going there on a Friday night, I would sport a trendier/stylish dress with wedges or pumps and in winter, leather leggings, booties and an oversized sweater would be the perfect ensemble. 

There are large open seating areas so getting there early and snagging a table is key. There are spaces like the one photographed above where you can dine with a reservation. If you want an 8pm reservation Friday or Saturday night, you need to plan about a month in advance... no joke. Have a fabulous day! 

Yours,

4 comments:

Portuguese Prepster said...

Looks like such a cool place and I love your dress!

Christine said...

Looks like a fun place to go! You definitely rocked your outfit :)

eslagle said...

I'm in LOVE with your gingham dress!
xx-
Cathleen
Classy Cathleen

Lauren said...

That bar is impressive and I love your dress!

Lauren,
http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure