Friday, June 27, 2014

Summer Wind's Best of the Burgh

Since I won Pittsburgh Magazine's Best Blogger in their Best of the Burgh feature, I thought it would be perfect for me to share my personal best of the 'burgh! Hopefully this will serve as your guide to Pittsburgh (warning: photo overload). For all of the Pittsburghers reading, I would love to hear your suggestions! 

Museum
The Carnegie Museum of Art and Natural History 

Art Gallery
The Andy Warhol Museum

Romantic Spot
Mount Washington, specifically the West End Overlook


Place for an Outing with FriendsSienna Mercato Rooftop

Place to Catch Live Music Stage AE

Athlete Sidney Crosby or James Neal or Neil Walker...They're all cute

Team
Steelers

Pancake
Pamela’s PandG Diner (chocolate banana pancakes with a side of potatoes...So. Good.)

Bar for Lingering
Mardi Gras or The Saloon

New Bar
Butcher and the Rye (post coming soon... coolest bar in the 412)

Slice of Pizza 
Mineo’s Pizza House (runner up is Betos followed by Aiellos)

Carryout
Pho Kim 88 

Local Java
La Prima Espresso

Late-Night Menu
Primanti Bros.

Taco
Penn Ave Fish Co. (good sushi, too)

Candy Shop
Sarris Candies

Hole in the Wall
Mardi Gras (get the hurricane and play your favorite song on the juke box)

Bed and Breakfast
Tara Inn (north of the city) 

Frozen Treat Dave and Andy's (how the heck did Ritas make the original list?!) Best homemade warm waffle cones and chocolate ice cream made from beer.

Wing Night
Someone Else's Bar

Florist 
Hepatica and Allison McGeary

Event Planner
The Event Group 

Jeweler
Henne

Bridal Boutique
Anne Gregory

Home-Decor Spot
Arhaus

Clothing Boutique 
Picket Fence

Gift Shop
Gifted

Hair Salon 
La Pomponee

Spa 
Nemacolin (outside of Pittsburgh)

Greenhouse 
Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens

View of the City 
Mount Washington

Golf Course 
Oakmont Country Club

Park 
Frick Park or Schenley Park.. it's a toss up.

Ice-Skating Rink 
The Rink at PPG Place

Best Sushi
Little Tokyo (this would be my last meal... the shrimp sauce is out of this world) I recommend the spicy salmon, spicy tuna and avocado, discovery roll, seaweed salad and fried rice with shrimp sauce. Also, I'm obsessed with their pinot noir. 
Best Brick Oven Pizza
Cucina Bella, it's BYOB and the walls are covered in wine glasses. One of the pizzas has coffee sprinkled on top-- might be the best pizza I've ever tasted. 
Best Italian Food
Girasole or Il Pizzaiolo (a tie). 
Girasole is BYOB... get the ravioli or lobster squid ink pasta. Il Pizziaiolo, get the caprese salad, penne alla vodka and prosciutto and arugula pizza. Il Pizzaiolo back patio makes you feel like you are actually in Italy and their wine bar is cozy and chic all at the same time. 

Best Nail Salon 
M Nails or Envy Nails 


Best Martini
Soba (best dirty martini in the world...RIP pickle martinis)
Best Pad Thai
Pho Kim 88 (heaven, pure heaven)
Best Happy Hour 
Steel Cactus
Best Crab Bisque
Penn Ave Fish Co. 
Best Date Night
Wild Rosemary, Girasole, Terrace Room, Il Pizzaiolo, Firework Night at PNC Park



Best Rooftop Bar
Six Penn Kitchen or Il Tetto 
Best Outdoor Bar
Hoffbrauhaus

Best Brunch
Grand Concourse
Best Pastries
La Gourmandine
Best Hoagie
Uncle Sam's or Danny's Hoagies 
Best Hummus
Aladdins
Best Chinese
Silk Road

Best Moscow Mule 
Sienna 

Best Post-Grad Bar
Marios in Shadyside
Best Place for a Glass of Wine
Il Pizzaoiolo Wine Bar
So what do you think of my picks? Have a fabulous day! 
Yours, 

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh cringe for all us hockey fans, it's actually James Neal not Neil.

Gramspearls said...

I'm saving all these for our next visit to PGH.

Thanks, S

Warmly,mK

Unknown said...

This is amazing. I would have to say I think Soba has the best pad tai and I would have had Seviche somewhere on my list! Looking forward to your post on Butcher and the Rye!

Satin Sundays

Dress in Sparkles said...

Oh my gosh, definitely bookmarking this for when I move to Pitt in August! Thanks for the suggestions!

xo Kylie
www.dressinsparkles.com

My Life as A Plate said...

Aww RIP Soba Pickle Martini :( I agree with almost all of your selections!! I also love Casbah and Kaya for dinner and NOLA for great Cajun food! Round Corner Cantina has delicious margaritas and Mexican food and a great back patio in the summer.

My Life as A Plate said...

Aww RIP Soba Pickle Martini :( I agree with almost all of your selections!! I also love Casbah and Kaya for dinner and NOLA for great Cajun food! Round Corner Cantina has delicious margaritas and Mexican food and a great back patio in the summer.

sparklingshannon said...

Love love love this list. Especially Pamela's - that's what I get too!

Unknown said...

great post! I love this idea! And super congrats on your recognition (:

xx, Bess
bellesinbows.com

Ally Kryl said...

Hofbrau is definitely in my top 5 PGH restaurants. I'm also a fan of the Smiling Moose on the south side for live music/their bar, and the Altar Bar! Also, the Blue Line Grille on 5th Avenue is fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Girasole is not BYOB-- they have an extensive wine menu and charging a corking fee for those who choose their own bottle...

Anonymous said...

a corking fee is still BYOB though

Gabriela said...

I graduated high school the same year as you and spent a year in Pittsburgh as CMU...the school wasn't for me, but I definitely loved Girasole, Pamela's and Schenley Park! Congrats on your award!

Samantha said...

Phipps is amazing! We had our wedding reception there, and it was fabulous. But, I must say those florists you listed were not fabulous.

Mary-Katherine said...

Oookay, yes thank you for sending me to this post!! I love the list format, be still my accountant heart I can now print this off and check things off as we go through the city haha! Definitely will have to hit up Sienna for the Moscow Mules, my personal fave, which I wouldn't mind right about NOW!

Happy Friday, thanks again for the recommendations!

xo Mary-Katherine
gold-hatted lover

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure