Thursday, October 30, 2014

Budget Buys: Coats

Readers often e-mail me and ask me for less pricey options to what I share on Summer Wind. It is my goal to feature all sorts of price ranges... part of my personal style is that I like mixing high and low together. I believe in purchasing quality pieces that will last for years, but also like to occasionally try out trends. 
I've found two items from L.L. Bean that are very comparable to two 'splurges' that I have made. I thought I would share these with you because they are quality pieces but also inexpensive as compared to the competitors. 
First up, is this quilted jacket which I would compare to Barbour's quilted jacket. It comes in many different colors, but I would get it in the classic green. 
A polo coat is a unisex classic. It's definitely not a popular coat for 24 year old woman, but I love it. It's uber preppy, somewhat of an '80s/'90s throwback (but also still very timeless) and also not so 'fashion-forward'. 


I love mine from Brooks Brothers (see it styled herehere, here). I wore it for the first time yesterday because it was a very crisp day. I paired it with an old J. Crew top and these pants, which have the same name as my sister, Callie. They might be the most flattering pants ever! I wear them for work and on weekends with pumps and a fun top. Anyways, I got the coat last year, and it was definitely a splurge, but I wanted a true camel hair version (they are hard to come by). 

However, this coat is a great and a much more affordable version. One suggestion that I have is that I would find really cool buttons and take it to the tailor to have the buttons swapped out. The buttons on this L.L. Bean version are lackluster, but replacing the buttons will make all the difference! Horn/tortoise buttons are the most classic option for a coat like this. I love the sporty elegance that a camel polo coat has. Check out this pin and this pin for some styling inspiration; I'm obsessed with pairing it with a camel cashmere sweater and also all black. Have a fabulous day! 
Yours, 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this Brooks Brothers coat! Could you please share the size you have on in this photo and how the coat runs? Do you think it should be worn more fitted or loose?

Summer Wind said...

Anonymous- thanks! It's a lot looser and less structured than it shows up in the photo. The camel hair is super soft so it almost drapes around the body. The cost runs true to size. I am wearing a size 2 and typically wear a 2 or 4 in the coat. With the size I am wearing, I can comfortable fit a chunky sweater underneath! Hope this helps :)

hannah g said...

Loving the way you paired the coat with the navy print blouse!! Keeps the look fresh and more youthful. I have shopped at thrift stores since I was born and also love vintage pieces because they are unique. Keeping them current is all in the styling, as you have done!

Anonymous said...

What brand and type are your navy pants? I'm really looking for a good pair of navy skinny dress pants! Thanks!

Summer Wind said...

Anonymous, link is in post, last paragraph.. It will take you to the exact pair. They run true to size, I am wearing a size 2. I wear them to work all the time!

Anonymous said...

You should do a review on the pants! Also what brand are the shoes?

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure