Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Fall Classics: LBD, Trench and Pearls

This was the preview I posted on Instagram









Dress// Plaid Scarf// Pearls
Heels (old, similar)// Trench Coat// Bag

When J. McLaughlin sent me this perfect black dress, I knew the styling options were endless. I'll style this a few different ways throughout the fall season. This first outfit is one I wore to work a few weeks ago. It's simple, classic, sophisticated and conservative enough for stricter office dress codes. I think dressing a little 'older' than my age is sometimes important, especially in an office setting... I've found that I think people are more likely to take me seriously if I don't necessarily look like a typical 24 year old. This dress is also perfect to switch over to happy hour. I plan on switching the shoes to something a little more 'fun' and 'younger' and switching out the pearls for a chunky statement necklace. If you're wondering about sizing, it's pretty true to size. I am wearing a size small and it's figure flattering but not too tight. I actually probably could have gone with the xs, but wanted to play it safe with the small. I think if you're in between sizes, I would suggest sizing down rather than up. 

This trench is also perfect. It has a zip-out flannel lining, which was one of the things that sold me. This way, I will be able to wear it now and well into the winter months. The quality is top-notch and is classically cut with classic embellishments such as the horn buttons, epaulets and a storm flap. Another thing that sold me? I had been dying for a Burberry trench for forever. I was seriously considering making the 'investment' (this one, in particular), but when I saw this trench for less than a fourth of the price and the quality was almost equal to that of Burberry, then I was really sold. I admit, I miss the classic Burberry plaid, but saving around $1,300 is enough to make up for it. I think one of the most important things that I plan to do is to get this coat tailored specifically for my body. The sleeves are a tad long on me and it's a little roomy, but the tailor will be able to make it fit like a glove! 

Since the coat doesn't have the classic Burberry plaid, I added this gorgeous plaid cashmere scarf. It's cozy and makes a perfect wrap for dressier occasions, but I also plan on throwing this on when I'm in jeans, too. It's so soft and thick that this will be the perfect addition to throw on as I walk out the door. 

Do you have some of these classics in your wardrobe? As long as you have the classics, you can change up the look in so many ways! Have a fabulous day! 

Yours,

6 comments:

Gabriela said...

I did the exact same thing with the Brooks Brothers vs. Burberry trench...the Burberry is definitely still on my "one day" wish list, but the Brooks Brothers is fantastic quality and looks just as polished! I wear mine to death, enjoy it!

Emily said...

That last picture... stunning!

Dana McDowell said...

So pretty and polished! I love this look head to toe =) Lovely, lovely blog.

Dana said...

I looooove my Brooks Brothers trench. It was the perfect 21st birthday present last year. And this dress is UN-BE-LIEVE-AB-LE...I have to take a look into purchasing it because it looks stunning on you!

Pink Champagne Problems

Seersucker Sass said...

You look so chic & polished! Great outfit, as always :)

XX, SS || A Little Seersucker Sass

Lauren said...

Love this classic look and these pictures are stunning!

Lauren,
http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure