Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Wear-to-Work: Classic Staples

wear to work staples





Coat c/o// White Shirt// Corduroy Pants (on sale, under $100)

This is probably one of my most worn outfits. You cannot go wrong with a black and white combo. It works in every season and in almost any situation. Black and white is neutral, classic, and crisp. While this is a slightly casual wear-to-work ensemble, the gorgeous Ellie Kai coat lends a slight elegance to a rather basic outfit. 

The white shirt is hands down an absolute necessity in any woman's wardrobe. I've written about this shirt many times in the past on Summer Wind. It is in a non-iron material, which is usually a turnoff for me, but this makes the shirt so easy to travel with! It comes in several fits, from tailored to fitted to classic. I personally prefer the classic fit which does not have darting. I find the classic fit easier to wear on weekends with jeans and even with leggings. If you are looking for something to go under a sweater or suit jacket, you'll want to choose the tailored or fitted which has darting for a more form-fitting silhouette. I have three of these and they all get worn constantly. At under $100, they are well worth buying a few. As for sizing, they run pretty true to size. I would say if you are between sizes, to size down. I usually buy a size 2 in the classic fit, but I also have a size 4 that provides more of a weekend/relaxed/tunic style fit. 

The Ferragamo Vara is another work-wear staple. Ferragamo makes two similar styles. The pair I am wearing is the Vara which is known for the 1.25" block heel and patent bow. The Varina is a variation and is more of a classic ballet flat with a grosgrain bow. I love the Varina for weekends, but I find the Vara to, surprisingly, be more comfortable. They're definitely not an inexpensive shoe, but the quality far surpasses most other shoes I have come across. They are comfortable, they last and they look polished and professional but still allow you to show off your own personal style in a conservative work setting. I have a pair in lava, the nude bisque shade, and blush pink. The next pair I am going to add to my closet is the Varina in black

The corduroy pants are one of my favorite pairs of pants that I own. I have them in burgundy, too! They are so comfortable and fit so nicely! I know for some this might not fly in a very conservative office since they fit similarly to skinny jeans. However, you could trade out the cords for a pair of work slacks. I don't need to wear something that 'businessy', so cords are great for double duty. I wear them on the weekends with a cute top and booties/pumps to wear out at night!

7 comments:

Chrisy said...

The gloves and pearls made me think of Grace Kelly; love the simple elegance of this look!

Unknown said...

You are SLAYING in this outfit! Those shoes...THOSE SHOES. *heart eyes emoji*

Jasmine | The Sixth Disney Princess

Karen said...

I find the Navy Varina is very useful,
and I grab this pair at least twice a week!

Erin said...

Gorgeous bag!

Her Heartland Soul
herheartlandsoul.com

Just Jess said...

I love the entire outfit. I have noticed that when I start to invest in some pieces like shoes they last longer and therefore I get my money's worth out of them. I am currently loving a pair of Tory Burch flats (without all the logos like the Revas) but the Varinas are on my lust/investment list. Jess at Just Jess

Unknown said...

I love this look! Especially the addition of your gloves. So chic.

xx Kathryn
www.chicandshimmer.com

Ann@Virginiarosa said...

You explained white blouses so well! I have mine monogrammed in white for a polished finish look.

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure