Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Sick Day Essentials

Sick Day Essentials
I'm currently on the mend from being sick for the past few days so it has really thrown off my entire schedule. There was a solid 24 hours where I literally couldn't bring myself to get out of bed even for water or Advil. It's times like that that remind me not to take good health for granted. So today I thought I'd talk about 'sick day essentials' that you should have on hand just-in-case. Since this was my first time being sick in my new place, it was interesting to find out how prepared I was and wasn't...especially because it came on pretty quickly. It's also timely, too, because I think a lot of these items are great to stock up on for those headed to college and cold and flu season will be here before we know it. 

An Extra Set of Fresh Sheets
I feel like this is something that most people wouldn't think of, but always having a set of fresh sheets available, never hurts. I'm a big proponent of changing my sheets often, so this is always the case for me, but it was so nice to be able to put on fresh sheets post-sickness without having to use time and energy on a load of laundry right then and there. I also have tons of extra pillow shams. I change my shams every other night, sometimes even nightly. 

Medicine
This is probably the most obvious thing, but wouldn't you know I had run out of Advil midway through being sick. Luckily, I had some Nyquil to back me up. I'm not huge on taking medicine, but this was totally necessary. I always prefer ibuprofen (what's in Advil) over acetaminophen (what's in Tylenol/Nyquil etc.) It's important to educate yourself on anything you ever put into your body and consult a doctor if you are ever unsure. 

Thermometer
This is one of those things that I totally didn't have. As an adult, you kind of know when you have a fever, but I would have liked something to tell me how bad it really was. 

Purell Wipes
I carry these often and always keep a pack in my car. I don't like liquid Purell because of the smell and the residue it leaves on my hands, but the wipes are awesome. I also like to have them post-sickness to make sure I don't get anyone else sick! 

Something with Sugar/Carbs
I usually drink ginger ale and always have it on hand because it's a great cocktail mixer, but I also drank watered down Gatorade and orange juice. I'd usually never drink any of those liquids, but I needed something other than just water to give me a boost of energy/strength because I wasn't eating. I also hate taking medicine, so washing down the Nyquil with OJ was very necessary. Tea is another great thing to have on hand.

Bland Food
When you're sick, you likely don't want to eat anything. I had no appetite but forced myself to eat chicken noodle soup and toast. I love chicken noodle soup in general, so I always have it on hand. It's also perfectly easy to throw in a bowl and microwave quickly if you have to do it yourself... I love the Campbell's chicken and stars soup on the go because you don't even need to transfer it to a bowl! 

A great eye mask
This one that I recently got was a lifesaver. You're likely sleeping all day, even while the sun is up. Total darkness is key and an eye mask helps a ton. This is really great for college students who may be on different schedules than their roommates. I used one all throughout college and still do to this day!

Cleaning Supplies
Seriously, tonight I plan on deep cleaning every nook and cranny. Because it will make me feel better and put-together but it will also make me feel comfortable about having guests over again without the chance of them getting sick!

What are your go-to sick day essentials? Any tips or tricks?! 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Great tips!
Love,
www.thestyleventure.com

Anonymous said...

Love these "real" posts! And great tips on the surplus shams!

MaggieMcCurdy said...

All great tips! While I am a little bit older (33, eek!) and a new Mom, I still need to make sure we have a stock of "sick day" supplies! I keep a box in the linen closet with necessities just for those times when an illness comes on quickly (advil cold and sinus, thera-flu, saltines, gingerale, tissues, clorox wipes, thermometer, etc..) Hope you are feeling better soon!

Lauren said...

So agree about the sheets. Hope you are back to feeling a 100%!

Lauren,
http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com

Anonymous said...

liking your blog.. a Sinatra fan myself..great tips.. I agree .. always have plenty of OTC remedies on hand..hope you're feeling better..btw who takes your pictures.. very professional looking..

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure