Monday, August 1, 2016

Workout Post: Athleisure + Loungewear Favorites




Pullover// Leggings (these are the BEST)// Sneakers 

To be honest, I'm not the best when it comes to working out. I really love it, but getting myself to actually do it is the hardest part. This is really embarrassing, but I'm just going to go ahead and share it (and I know there are many others that feel this way because people have told me!!).... One of the biggest reasons I hate working out is because I have to wash my hair afterward. I try to wash my hair 3 times per week max, so I schedule my sweat sessions around my hair washing. I know this sounds ridiculous to many, but I have so much hair and washing/drying/styling is such a time-consuming process for me. I may sweat for 30 minutes, which is quick and easy, but then that leaves me with a good 2 hours (no exaggeration) of showering/drying/styling/etc. Oftentimes, though, to combat this, I will just sleep with wet hair and continue my routine in the morning-- or throw my hair up in a bun on the top of my head post-shower. I have a really great gym in my building so there's really no excuse not to go, though.

I figured I would share some of what I do to keep in shape as well as share some of my favorite athleisure pieces (these are the BEST leggings of all time). All of the pieces above, including what I am wearing is featured in the Nordstrom Anniversary sale. I always prefer to buy my athletic pieces on sale because all you do is sweat in them, so I hate spending tons. This post has been highly requested, and I'm happy to share what I personally do, but to be honest, it's nothing special.

I hate cardio but force myself to do 30 minutes on the elliptical here and there. If I'm really feeling energetic, I'll do 30 minutes on the treadmill instead. I do this about 3 times a week. I am overall/generally an active person, though. I'm always on the go, and living downtown has forced me to walk a lot more. I'm often getting between 10,000-20,000 steps in a day when I'm really on the move.

What I am always sure to do every single day, no matter what: a quick floor workout. I do sit ups, push ups, planks, etc. each morning or night (sometimes both morning and night). This is so quick and easy to do and you can even do it while traveling. I often do it while watching TV. I think it makes such a big difference and I know it is keeping me toned without bulking me up (I gain muscle really easily, so getting bulky is always a concern of mine). Here's my usual routine that takes all of 10-15 minutes... this is kind of a rough outline as I'm always switching it up.
  • 20 push ups
  • 50 full sit-ups
  • 20 bridge/butt lifts (looks like this)
  • Hold bridge/butt lift in air for 30 seconds
  • 1-minute plank
  • 30 v-ups (looks like this)/ or 30-second v-sit with arms fluttering 
  • 50 leg lifts on each side (for a total of 100)
  • 20 push ups
  • 50 full sit-ups 
  • 1-minute plank
  • Stretch: End in child's post with extended arms, then move to cobra, etc. 
I will sometimes repeat this routine if I am feeling ambitious and have the time. I also do little things here and there, like taking the stairs, parking far away, and even doing things like heel raises as I brush my teeth in the morning and at night. They're little things, that seem almost insignificant, but they all add up, and it's better than nothing!

Do you have a specific workout routine that you adhere to or that you recommend? I've been hearing such great things about Kayla Istine's workouts, I'm intrigued!

4 comments:

Lexy said...

Forget Kayla - look up blogilates and Cassey Ho! Such quick workouts (and not too sweaty for your coif!)

Anonymous said...

Two words: dry shampoo!!! I use Umberto and it works beautifully. I don't know how it would be for dark hair since it is white, but I'm blonde and it blends in beautifully. Saves me soooo much time showering and styling, which means more time at the gym!

Anonymous said...

I think it comes down to what is important to you. If working out is important you just wash your hair more often or figure out a different way to style it that does not take forever.

Just a thought!

Kayla said...

I don't blame you.... Fitting in a workout if half the battle when you're a busy girl, let alone the hygiene routine after you're done a good sweat no shame in that at all!

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure