Friday, April 21, 2017

Quick and Easy Ways to Relax and Unwind









I hate using the word 'busy'. I mean.... everyone is busy. It's thrown around so much that it has almost lost its value. But, at the end of the day, we all really are just that: busy. This month has been straight up busy and I'm using that word because I have no other word to explain what it was like!! It's like I looked up and we are already 2/3 through April and I'm now another year older. When did that happen?! 

As much as I try to unwind and relax, for the past couple of weeks, I haven't felt that I've fully been able to enjoy times where I'm supposed to be relaxing. Either I feel the need to respond to e-mails at 1am while I'm in bed, or I sit down to rest and watch Netflix, and 5 minutes later, I feel guilty and I'm up running the vacuum cleaner. Maybe I'm crazy.... I'll get back to you on that one...but I'm thinking it may just be my lack of sleep.

In reality, it's my fault. I haven't taken on too much per say, but I took on more than I think I wanted to. It happens. Life happens. But something else that is important? Rest and relaxation. Doing things that you actually enjoy... things that bring you calmness and peace. I personally don't like when I have to-do lists a mile long and I'm always-on-the-move because I find it harder to appreciate people and the little things in life that are so special. I saw this quote on Pinterest and it really resonated with me: 'Your calm mind is the ultimate weapon against your challenges, so relax.'


That's going to be my thought process in May: slowwwww it way down. So whether you have 5 minutes, 5 hours or 5 days, today I'm sharing my favorite ways to relax and unwind. 

Turn Your Phone to Do Not Disturb
I'm always hesitant to turn my phone completely off in case of emergency. I don't have a landline, so having my phone on at all times is kind of necessary. But do not disturb mode is brilliant because you can set times for when it will automatically turn to Do Not Disturb. Mine starts at 10pm and stops at 9am. For 11 hours, I don't hear a ping or any type of notification and just that in and of itself is SO amazing. If you haven't used it, you can also 'allow' certain people to get through or let people get through if they call repeatedly in the event of an emergency. 

The only thing I wish it would do is offer an option where you could let anyone/everyone know your phone is on 'do not disturb'. Wouldn't that be nice?

Go for a Walk
Whether it's a purposeful walk, like you're walking to the store or dinner, or you're just out for a stroll, just walk. This week, we had such nice weather, I actually ended up going on several walks. 

Put on Your Pajamas
Chances are, your pajamas are the most comfortable 'outfits' you own. And let me tell you, these pajamas I am wearing are most definitely the most comfortable thing I own. They trump my cashmere, and that's saying something coming from me! And what easier way to relax when you are comfortable? I seriously sometimes stay in my pajamas until 2pm on Saturdays (if no plans). Regardless of the time of day, being in pure comfort is a luxury. 

Take a Nap
This is my favorite way to unwind. I'm such a sleeper, so any excuse to get some shut eye and I'm down. But really, taking a nap not only can recharge you, but I also feel so calm and more focused after waking up from a quick power nap!

Take a Bath
This is a weird one for me to recommend because I'm not really a 'bath' person. However, I took a bath in the Bahamas for the first time in years and it was heavenly. Quite honestly, the thought of a bath grosses me out, but I've changed my thinking about it. Rather than it being a replacement to a shower, I think of it more as a relaxation activity than a means to get clean. I'll typically shower after the bath. But, I think a great calming playlist like classical music or jazz (something without words), a calming candle like lavender, and deep breaths can be the best 20 minutes of relaxation there is! 

Movie Night
I did this last weekend.  It sounds straight forward...but for this, I totally recommend breaking out the good champagne, getting in your pajamas, turning your phone to do not disturb and curling up with a soft blanket and then afterward, do nothing but go right to bed. I think the 'do nothing and go right to bed' part is the most important. How many times have you done what I just suggested but then afterward, gone on your phone to check social media, or stayed up late and binged a TV show, or grabbed a late night snack, etc. The movie will get your mind off of your looming to-do list and then by ignoring everything and going straight to bed, you're calm and relaxed and will get a better night's sleep! 

Do A Face Mask
I'm face masked obsessed so this one may be a little biased. But when you think about it- when you are face-masking, you can't really go out in public. My friends just got me this magnetic face mask for my birthday and as a side note, it has to be the coolest thing ever. When I put the mask on, I lay in savasana and meditate for the full 10-15 minutes that the mask is on my face. I'm not really 'into' meditating but when you allow yourself 10-15 minutes where you are just laying there, it really clears your head.

3 comments:

CeeCee said...

Share your mindset on baths-- my favorite is after a tough sweat session-- hop in the tub for a soak, then a nice lukewarm shower, then off to bed. Add-ins of candles, bath bombs, and even wine (shhhh don't tell my trainer) make it an extra special reward.

Tracy said...

HUGE fan of the Dr Brandt magnetic face mask! Dr. Brandt always has Facebook promos (rating from 30% to 45%) and I recently stocked up on the Facebook mask and the neck cream.

Delores Allen said...

Thanks for sharing this informative post. This summer it is really important to protect your skin. Wear hat apply bodylotion while going out even don’t forget to give your eyes the same level of sun protection.

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure