Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Bedroom Reveal!













In My Bedroom:

Today I'm sharing my bedroom! I haven't shared any of the rooms in my apartment (besides on Instastories/Snapchat) for several reasons. The first being that I don't really think of myself as having a good eye when it comes to interior decorating. I know what I like, but I still feel like a freshman in that department. I am by no means an interior decorator blogger, ha! The second reason is that nothing ever feels finished. But after about 18 months, I finally feel like it's as 'finished' as it's going to be for now. 

At under 900 square feet, my apartment is tiny. Although I would bet some of you living in cities such as New York may think my apartment is quite spacious, ha! 

Since it's just me, it doesn't feel super small, which is nice. Although I will admit, I've been looking for 2 bedroom places in the city. We'll see. But, I chose amenities (like valet parking, doormen, package services, beautiful gym, etc.) and location (in the heart of everything) as my top two priorities rather than space. I figure there is plenty of time for me to live in a large space in the suburbs, but right now I want to enjoy the city life! 

It's kind of ironic that I'm sharing my bedroom first because I wouldn't really consider it to be 'decorated'. I wanted my bedroom to be as 'clean' and white as possible. I actually based it off of the room I stayed in while in Charleston.... dark wood, white linens, brass accents and light gray for a 'pop of color'. When people see my room, they always say 'it looks like a hotel'. And to me, that's exactly what I wanted: minimal clutter, an amazingly comfortable and inviting bed, super white linens, and an informal feel. You'll see when I share my living room (coming soon) that my bedroom is a very big contrast to that space. 

One of the things I love about my bedroom (and my apartment) is that I have 10-foot windows. Light absolutely floods in and it's always so bright and cheery. 

I've sourced everything for you at the bottom of this post. I'm very into antiques so a lot of items are either one of a kind or found at an antique store or some type of estate sale. However, I tried to find as many very similar items as possible. One new item that I got just last week is my canopy bed. I had a bed that my parents gave to me. In reality, I didn't really love it, but buying a new bed was never really a priority until recently. I was thinking 'enough is enough'. I wanted to find something of my own and something that felt a bit more 'me'. 

I actually ended up with this canopy bed because I originally found this bed that is way more expensive. I was googling the more expensive bed to see images of it and the less pricey version popped up. They truly look almost identical, don't they? There is an $1100 price difference between the two. Pretty darn amazing. 

So the only little 'debacle' that came up is that I was planning on moving the head of the bed from the corner (window wall) as you see it in the photos above, to the wall it's against. I measured and everything seemed to be perfect. However, once I got it in the space, it just looked 'wrong'. So back to the corner it went. I'm kind of bummed about this because having a bed in a corner is SO annoying. Now I'll also need to remove the top two brass frames (from above my bed) and relocate them. But oh well! 

Besides a new bed, I also just got a new mattress thanks to Pangeabed. Let me first preface this by saying that I take the comfort of my bed very seriously. You see, I LOVE to sleep. Naps are the best, I love to sleep in on the weekends, and I just all around love love love being in bed (I swear I'm not as lazy as this is making me out to be!!). I mean why not prioritize your bed being a temple? You spend about a third of your life sleeping!

My mattress was already pretty comfortable. Granted my mattress was years old (ew) and I had a very thick Tempurpedic topper on top, plus a mattress pad, which is what made it so comfortable. So, I wasn't really sure anything could be any more comfortable. 

But lo and behold, Pangeabed is the most comfortable mattress I have EVER slept on. Not only have I had a few mattresses of my own in my lifetime, but I've slept in a lot of hotels and a lot of the hotels have insanely comfortable beds. I ended up tossing both the Tempurpedic topper and the mattress pad because I didn't need anything at all!

I got the mattress just a few days after ordering. It arrived in a cardboard box about the size of a 7-year-old child. It was very heavy but as I looked at it, I was thinking 'there is no way a queen size mattress is in that box'. I tore open the box to reveal a vacuum sealed mattress (folded up). As soon as I pulled it out of the plastic, it started to expand. And holy cow, a giant queen mattress appeared right before my eyes. MUCH thicker than my last mattress, too!

I hopped right on to give it a feel and even then I was amazed. The top is so cushy and soft, but at the same time, it's firm so you don't melt into it. It has a quilted cover with 5/8" soft foam and is infused with copper. The thing that really sold me before feeling the actual mattress was the copper-infusion. Because of the copper, it is hypoallergenic, antimicrobial, and has heat dispersing properties. 

I am one of those anal people who change their sheets every few nights, but I feel a little bit better now that the bed is a lot 'cleaner'! I also LOVE that it keeps me cooler at night. I don't think my bedroom gets as much air circulation in comparison to the other rooms, so being cool at night is a priority for me. I have a fan going all night as I sleep and sleep in summer pajamas year round. I've definitely noticed a 'cooler' sleep because Pangeabed's latex is much more breathable. 

After sleeping on it for over a week, I'm obsessed. I can't stop telling family and friends about the mattress and when friends hop on my bed to 'test' it, they're sold immediately. Even my mom jumped on it and sang its praises and she is a tough critic! 
SOURCES
Bed Blanket (love love love this blanket!!!)
Desk (antique, similar)
Velvet Skirted Chair (antique, similar)
Both Lamps via Homegoods
Wicker Trunk (vintage, similarsimilar)
Acrylic Drawers via Homegoods (similar)
Gray Cashmere Herringbone Throw via Nordstrom (old, similar)
Moso Bamboo Candle (one of my all-time favorite candles)

6 comments:

Sarah said...

I don't think 900 sf is tiny in any city, especially to live alone! I had 650 sf to myself in DC and it felt like more than enough space--although I described it as slightly too big for one person but slightly too small for a couple.

Summer Wind said...

Sarah, I think the smallness that I feel is that I don’t have a separate office area, nor do I have a separate area to eat at a table- two things that, for me, make it feels small!

Katie said...

Love your bed. What sheets do you use?

Lauren said...

Love your desk chair!

Lauren,
http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com

Rachel said...

I love your interior decorating style! I would love to see more posts of other rooms of your apartment! I like that you love antiques, because so many people these days don't. I also have always favorited more of a classic/tradional interior design style.

Linda said...

I wanted my bedroom to be as 'clean' and white as possible. I actually based it off of the room I stayed in while in Charleston.... dark wood, white linens, brass accents and light gray for a 'pop of color'. When people see my room, they always say 'it looks like a hotel'. And to me, that's exactly what I wanted: minimal clutter, an amazingly comfortable and inviting bed, super white linens, and an informal feel. You'll see when I share my living room (coming soon) that my bedroom is a very big contrast to that space.
I like this post

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure