Friday, November 1, 2019

Orange Theory Fitness Review

Orange Theory Fitness Review







Long Sleeve Top (wearing size medium, size up)// Sports Bra
More pieces I love:

I went to my first Orange Theory class on Friday, September 13th so I have just under 2 months of classes under my belt. I had this blog post written out and then I took to Instagram to ask if any of you had any info that you wanted me to make sure I include in this post and I got flooded with questions and messages. Which I totally get because it can be nervewracking starting something new. So I decided to turn this into a Q+A style post so I'm sure to answer all of your questions! 

As for my outfit, Addison Bay, which is an incredible resource for all of the best brands in activewear, gifted me this Long Sleeve TopSports Bra, and Leggings. The pieces are by a new-to-me brand Vaara and I am blown away by the quality! The leggings have this mesh panel (inside) on the butt area and I have never seen any leggings with this before. You can't see the mesh, but it's soft and really holds you in and flatters your behind. It's incredible- all leggings should have this! I also love this outfit because I wouldn't have thought to pair all of these shades together and it just looks SO cute. Actually, all of the Vaara items are really cool and I can confirm that they survive an OTF work out very well. I will say, I don't work out in just a sports bra (no judgment on those that do!!). I just wanted to show you guys the back of the sports bra because it's different.


Also, be sure to head over to Instagram because I am doing a giveaway with Addison Bay for one of you to win a gift card! During the holidays, I definitely plan on doing more giveaways for you guys so you can win things for yourself :) I'm also going to be doing a takeover on Addison Bay's instagram, so check that out, too! 

I didn't want to shoot in Orange Theory because the lighting is literally orange inside so I went to a nearby trail to snap these (which is often where I walk Henry). 

Disclaimer
I first feel like I need to write this disclaimer. I am not a fitness expert and you should not take any fitness advice from me. I think it is SO important to only take diet and fitness advice from qualified people- that means that they have certifications or schooling or extensive coaching experience. You might also want to consult your doctor before you take on anything intense. This post contains my personal experience and opinions. Ever since I got engaged, I have gotten a lot of questions about my fitness and diet plan before the wedding and I'm happy to share my experience and things like that but I absolutely will not tell you what to do. I don't think it's right to make anyone feel like they need to do anything (in terms of working out or dieting) before their wedding and I certainly think that you don't need to be doing what I'm doing and I don't need to be doing what you're doing. Society and media put enough pressure on brides already (I mean just the sheer volume of questions I have received over the months about diet and fitness is a little alarming) and I won't stand for sending out the message that I think anyone needs to lose weight or go on a diet before their wedding. I think if you do, that's great, and if you don't, that's great, too!

My Fitness Level
I was basically doing nothing before I started Orange Theory. I walk Henry several miles almost every single day (hence the photos on the trail above). I have always thought that as long as I'm getting in 30 minutes of good movement each day, that is fine. I would also do a simple 15-minute floor routine (just body-weight) exercise one or two times each week (things like sit-ups, push-ups, planks, etc.). These were all simple and attainable things I do to just maintain my health and my physique. I have never really lost a ton of weight nor have a gained a ton in my adult life so that's just how my body works. I was super active in high school and college and then I stopped focusing on it as I got older. 

What is Orange Theory?
You can read about it on their website. In my own words, it's a 60-minute heart-rate based workout where you wear a heart-rate monitor around your arm (or chest). The goal of each workout is to spend at least 12-minutes in the 'orange zone' (hence why it is called Orange Theory). If you spend 12-minutes or more in the orange or red, you will get the benefits of what they call the 'after burn' which is a period of 24-36 hours of increased calorie burning. One splat point is equal to 1 minute in either the orange or red zone. You get your stats at the end of your workout (emailed to you and on the app) and your goal is to have your 5 zones look like a pyramid (this sounds kind of confusing, but it's so easy to learn after a class or two). The workout (and the room you are in) is broken down into 3 sections: rowing, weights, and treadmill. Each class you do all of these sections at least once (usually). This is a high-intensity workout and the workout is different every single class.

Why did you start Orange Theory? 
I was considering hiring a personal trainer before our wedding but decided not to. It is super pricey and I don't really think I need that type of attention. I can hold my own at the gym, however, I don't love cardio (I never really have) so for me, I joined Orange Theory to push with cardio and hold me accountable. I am pretty good at holding myself accountable when it comes to any other type of workout... but cardio, ick. So that is why I wanted to start with Orange Theory. It's also way cheaper than a personal trainer but I think a lot of the workouts (especially on the floor) are what a trainer would instruct you to do!

One of my girlfriends does OTF religiously and has always sworn by it. After much convincing, I decided I'd take my first class (which is free). Plus, Orange Theory is really close to my house so the convenience level is definitely there.

My Goals
I think setting goals in all facets of life are really important. I set the goal of feeling my best at our wedding. I truly do not care what I weigh. I don't need to be stick thin or jacked, but I really care about the way I feel. I feel fine now but I know I have the potential to feel incredible by the time our wedding rolls around (we still have many months to go). This is something that is very motivating for me. I am someone that is motivated by goals. If there is a goal involved, I will always hit it and then some. I've always been like that! After the wedding, I imagine my goal will be staying in great shape for our honeymoon (which is 6 weeks after our wedding).

Orange Theory also has goals that you can work towards if you can't think of one on your own. They have events like Dri-Tri so you can work towards that if you need the motivation! The stats at the end of each class are also very motivating, so if you don't have a specific long term goal, just beating your best from the class before is an easy motivator.

How Often do you go?
I started going 2x per week. They have a package of 4, 8 or unlimited classes (monthly) at different prices. I imagine this info differs from studio to studio. After my first (free) class, I bought the 8 package ($99, prices fluctuate depending on where you live), which is 2x week. After my first month,  I loved the workout and atmosphere and realized that 8 classes per month weren't going to be enough for me so I upgraded to the unlimited package ($159). I am so glad I did. I now religiously go at least 3x a week (usually MWF) and sometimes 4x (if I can handle it and have time for it). I don't go on the weekend and use that time to rest (but there are classes 7-days a week). After the new year, when I have more time (Q4 is always crazy for me both work-wise and socially) I plan to religiously go 4x week.

Do I have to schedule each class?
Yes. The app is really easy to use and at our studio, you can schedule up to 2 weeks in advance and I pretty much always schedule as far in advance as possible. I do this because I can then add the class into my calendar and also the class can then get waitlists or become full. I have never had an issue with not being able to get into a class except during Hell Week (which was this past week). It was annoying, but luckily that week is over! You can cancel a class up to 8-hours before but if you 'late cancel' (within 8 hours before your class), then you are charged $12. This is another motivator to not skip class. If you're laying there warm in bed and might skip the gym, knowing you're going to be charged is a nice kick to get you moving!

I have late-canceled once and it was actually this past Monday. We were feeding Henry that morning at around 7am and after he finished eating, he started acting really weird and was clearly in pain. It's a long story, and this has happened once before, but he's fine. I wanted to stay home with him just to be on the safe side so that's why I had to late-cancel.

How many calories do you burn?
Your heart-rate monitor tracks your steps, calories, etc. so you get a lot of great, in-depth data after each workout. I have never burned less than 500 calories in an Orange Theory class. Typically I'm right around 600+ calories and a lot for me is 750ish calories.

Have you lost weight?
Not a single pound. I should reiterate that I am not doing this to lose weight however, I recognize that some people are truly looking to lose weight and I definitely think you could lose a lot of weight doing this workout religiously.

I don't live a life where I put emphasis on my weight and I don't think weight is necessarily an accurate measurement of health or progress. I think knowing your percentage of body fat and muscle, as well as your body's measurements, are much more important to track your health and fitness progress. I'm also not dieting at all and for me, I find that watching my diet is much more effective in losing pounds than any workout is. I am much more focused on becoming healthier, feeling better, as well as gaining muscle (losing inches). I overheard a woman one day say she has lost 18 pounds!! Again, NO ONE needs to lose weight for their wedding! You are fine just the way you are and I think it's SO important to love yourself regardless.

Have you noticed results?
When you go to your first Orange Theory class, they have you do a body composition scan. This was neat and can help you gauge results. I was average for body fat, which is fine but also leaves much room for improvement. I'm not trying to be a super athlete but gaining endurance and losing body fat was most important to me. But, at the same time, according to the analysis I already had a lot of muscle for someone my age/height/etc. I kind of knew this- I have always been lucky in the muscle department regardless of whether I work out or not. It's just my genes.

I haven't done the scan again (yet) but I likely will once I hit exactly 2 months. I'll share those results on instastories when I do it!

My parents came over for dinner the other night and my mom (completely unprompted) said I looked great- so there's that, and my fiancé says he notices, too. I definitely feel less puffy/flabby. My body feels a lot tighter and more solid.

Besides analytical results, I have 100% noticed my endurance increase and my heart is able to recover quicker. I've also noticed myself just all around feeling better. I feel more agile and a lot less 'flabby'. Some of my clothing is even loose and with newer things I've ordered, I've noticed I have had to size down on a few pieces. Also, one of the biggest benefits for me is that I feel less anxious. Going in there for an hour is worth it even if just for the mental benefits. 

What do you love about it?
I love that it is a group class with an instructor but you are also kind of on your own. I always say it's like swimming (I was a swimmer each summer of my life until I graduated high school) where you do your own thing and work towards your own goals but you're still a team with the same coach all working and pushing yourselves. So if you are entirely out of shape, you can still take this class because you can do it all at your own pace.

The instructors even have modifications if you have injuries or need something a little easier. I have bad knees from doing a back tuck and landing on my knees on hardwood floor (hence why my knees look swollen 24/7-I can have them aspirated, but the swelling comes back again and again. One day I'll likely have to have knee surgery-ugh). I've tried BBG and Madeline Moves and all of those different apps, but I usually can't do them because I need certain modifications for my knees and they just don't provide that level of personal tailoring. It's awesome to be able to have the coach recommended modified moves for me. That type of attention and instruction is where I think it feels most like having a personal trainer.

I also don't love the app workouts because no one is there to correct your form. At OTF they correct your form so you get the most out of the moves and so you don't hurt yourself. 

The classes are not like a yoga or pilates class where every person in the class is holding the exact same pose at the same time for the same amount of time and holding the same weights. Everyone is at their own pace and working at their own level of 'hard'. 

I also love that I am not feeling judged. I was no fitness buff when I started Orange Theory (and am still not) but literally, nobody cares how fast I am going or if I don't do the moves as perfectly as they do. Every single person in that room is at a different fitness level! The class is totally diverse, too. Everyone from college students to pregnant women, to older men to overweight to the star athlete. I don't feel like I need to be dressed to impressed, hair and makeup done, and looking perfect. I have experienced that before and I don't think that makes a good environment. I go to OTF to sweat and get messy and push myself, not to look cute. Sure, I definitely do have some really cute workout outfits and sometimes I have a good hair day, but I never wear makeup or feel pressured to have to look 'nice'. I sometimes roll out of bed, brush my teeth, throw on whatever I have, and go.

Another thing I love is that everyone is very supportive and encouraging. Some might think it's a little cheesy, but I don't. I love the high-fives in class from the instructor and other athletes. Everyone is friendly while we are out in the lobby waiting for class to start and I've even started to become friendly with some of the girls I see often.

Is the workout any good?
It is SO good. I don't think I can accurately explain how amazing of a workout it is because you really just need to experience it for yourself, but I am fully drinking the kool-aid. I walk into that room and I feel happy and motivated. I walk out exhausted (and sore) but also feeling on top of the world. It's a high every single time and I NEVER regret going. It's also as challenging as you make it but the atmosphere and coaches push you to give it your all.

I am not a runner, is it a lot of running?
Girl, you and me both. I HATE running. In Orange Theory, you can go as fast or slow as you want. So while you are definitely spending a good chunk of time on the treadmill, you don't have to run if you don't want to. You can power walk and usually with that you just walk at a higher incline. I definitely power walk sometimes! There are three different 'paces' on the treadmill and they are all personal to you. The first is your base pace which you can maintain with no issues. The second is push where you're pulling yourself out of your comfort zone but one you can hold for a while. Lastly, there is all out. This is where you give it all you have and might end up in the red (I do). I have already noticed my endurance has greatly improved and I don't hate the treadmill as much as I used to. It's also all done in intervals. I believe you can do anything for 30-90 seconds so it's all doable. The other day a coach made a good point. We were about 52 minutes through the class and were running out of steam. She said 'if you were working out on your own right now, you might think you did enough and finish at 52 minutes, but no, we are going to push for these last few minutes!' and she was right... at least for me. I would have been tired and felt like it was a good workout on my own after 52 minutes. I love the push the class gives me to give it everything I have.

Is it a lot of the same thing? Does it become monotonous?
It's a lot of the same thing in that you are always doing the tread, rower, and weight floor. However, every single workout is different so you are never doing the same thing. I find it to be challenging and engaging in every single class. I can't see myself getting sick of it any time soon. I think one of the coolest things about OTF is that there are studios all over the world. So you can take a class wherever your travels take you. Not only that but my girlfriend who convinced me to do OTF lives in Philly and because every studio does the exact same workout each day, we can talk about the workout with each other! I don't share my OTF results on Instastories or anything (good marketing idea on OTF's pat, though), but I mention it on instastories here and there because it's fun to connect with others around the country that also did the same exact workout that I did that day!

Where do you like to start?
You can choose where you want to start each class: the rower or the treadmill. I always start on the rower. I just prefer to do weights first (which is my favorite part) and then give it everything I've got on the treadmill (I knowing I'm done after that helps). I notice that most people like to start on the treadmill so I think I might be in the minority.

Which heart rate monitor do you use? 
I use the arm one! This is also something to note: you have the option to buy a heart monitor. You don't have to buy an OTF one, but I did. It's $119 and you wear it every class. You don't have to buy one at all, but I don't know if I'd want to do the workout without it. It's there for safety measures so you don't push yourself to a dangerous heart rate, but also for results to see how hard you worked. I also love it because the zones and splat points help me to push myself and the stats each class help you to see your progress.

How many classes did you try before buying the heart rate monitor? 
My first class and then I bought it right away. After the first class, I knew I loved it and would come back. The monitor is 110% worth it if you think you will be able to stick with it. For your first class, they lend you a monitor for free and you can rent one for $5/workout. You can also use the monitor outside of class- like if you want to do your own intervals on the treadmill or whatnot!

Can you take the class if you cannot run?
Yes! They have bikes and striders so if you have limitations, you can use the bikes or striders. I notice people using these often.

Should I workout before starting? I haven't worked out in so long!
You can but I don't really think it's necessary! I went out of shape and I was fine. Again, this is your workout and your time and you set the pace. So if you need to power walk for the entire treadmill block, do it! If you can only lift 5-pound weights or even none at all, totally fine!

Is it hard to get 12 splat points?
For me, no. I have always gotten 12 or more but it differs per person. You'll notice you get a little less as you gain more endurance and your heart handles recovery quicker. I have definitely noticed this (except for Hell Week haha!!) and it's so great to know my heart is improving!

Do you have to wash your hair after every class?
I think this totally depends on how much you sweat and the type of hair you have. I don't sweat a ton in general but I do sweat a bit every class at OTF. Sometimes it's more and sometimes not as much, so I just gauge it class by class. For example, this past Wednesday's class I got SO sweaty and ended up having to wash my hair when I normally would not have washed it until Friday. I typically wash my hair once a week so I avoid washing it at all costs after each class. I also do not have greasy hair, I have a ton of hair and I don't really sweat at my head. So I think if you have thin hair or sweat a ton or whatnot, you will likely need to wash your hair more often. I obviously shower as soon as possible afterward- that's a must!

What is the atmosphere like? Is it dark and loud like Soul Cycle?
It's not as dark as Soul Cycle, but it has a darker vibe to it and the room is lit with orange lights. It's loud with music but nothing deafening. The vibe is one of the things I love the most about it. Everyone from the coaches to the athletes are supportive. You high five people you don't know- it's a team atmosphere and it's unlike any other class workout I have taken. The front desk and coaches always remember my name and I just feel very welcome every time I go.

Is OTF the only workout you do?
Yes! Besides walking Henry (I know that sounds lame but we go on several mile-long trail walks often) it is the only workout I do. In my opinion, it's plenty but you could definitely supplement with other things, too. I personally would rather take 5 Orange Theory classes than 2 OTF, 1 spinning, 1 weight class, etc. I just love the classes and they are truly a full-body workout and it's something different every time.

Will you continue with OTF after your wedding?
I hope to because I love it! As of right now, I have no reason to stop!

Do different coaches matter?
Not really... I guess it depends on your studio. I definitely prefer some over others but at our studio, there isn't an undesirable coach and I don't schedule classes based on coaches- I select a class based on a time that works for me. Coaches pick their own music. I am a big music person and music can really motivate me at times during a workout so I love it when a coach has a great playlist going.

I'm nervous to go to my first class, how did you know what to do?
I was in the same boat! This is another reason why I like OTF better than other classes I have taken. For your first class, you arrive a full 30 minutes before your scheduled class. They walk you through everything. Seriously everything. Then, they have the entire class clap for you before you start so you don't feel like you're going in blind... this sounds cheesy, but it feels like a community and makes you feel like you are welcome. Then, after the class, the coach will review your results with you so you understand everything. After about 2-3 classes I felt totally comfortable.

Sorry, this was so long and if you've made it this far, thanks for sticking with me. I do have to say that I am truly loving Orange Theory and it's been the best thing I have done for myself in a while. If I can do it, you can!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is what sets you apart and keeps me reading so many years latter - your disclaimer and saying “ I won't stand for sending out the message that I think anyone needs to lose weight or go on a diet before their wedding” BRAVO! Thank you for sharing the review, there aren’t many workout options for when I travel but I always notice OTF and I think I will try!

Gina said...

I started OTF about the same time as you. One thing that keeps me going back is not feeling judged. Like you said everyone is working on their level and not judging outfits, weight etc.... and I love the way I feel after.

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure