Wednesday, December 18, 2019

2 Years With Henry


It's so weird to write this post because 2 years doesn't sound like too long of a time period and yet I can't remember what life was like without Henry in it. You can read my 1-year post with Henry, here.

I'm a little late this year- our 2 year anniversary of Henry's gotcha day was on Monday, December 16th! The two photos above are two of my favorites of Henry ever! This post is a little bit of word vomit, but it shows how much I truly love Henry! I love chronicling his life with these posts, too, so I am able to look back on them years from now!

My fiancé headed out to pick up my sweet Henry. I shared this in the 1-year post, but I was actually at a wedding on Martha's Vineyard so he had to pick up Henry! My fiancé always talks about how special that day was and I am really sad I had to miss it. Tracy's Dogs, the organization I adopted him from, live streams their gotcha days on Facebook. I remember being at the wedding watching the live stream on my phone during cocktail hour. I saw my fiancé appear and he was handed, Henry!!! I teared up. I always joke with my friends that I will never forget their wedding anniversary because it's also Henry's gotcha day! 

That entire weekend, after my fiancé got Henry, he sent me so many photos and videos. I couldn't wait to get home to him. I will truly forever remember that entire weekend with all of the sweet videos my fiancé sent me and how they picked me up from the airport. 

The one thing I will always be thankful for is that Henry got to meet Mac. I think God works in mysterious ways and I think Henry and Mac were always destined to meet. I got Henry in December 2017 and Mac passed away in February 2018. The night Henry and Mac met, it's like Mac got a little pep in his step. They followed each other around the dining room table and I have the sweetest videos of it all. It's just something special that I will always remember. 

The one thing I want to focus on remembering always is how much Henry calms me. I do struggle with anxiety. It's not awful, but it's definitely not fun. I've been an anxious person all of my life and being near Henry calms me in a way that truly nothing else can. There is a reason they bring dogs into places like hospitals and nursing homes!! I feel that happiness and calmness wash over me whenever I am with Henry and that feeling is truly priceless. 

I also truly believe Henry has helped me to live a healthier life. I walk SO much more than I ever would have had I not had him. Would I ever go on a walk in 20 degrees? Nope. But it makes me healthier and happier. Obviously, I walk him because I want him to get exercise and to be healthy, but in turn, it also provides me with exercise and happiness. Such a win-win. 

It's also been great walking him around our new neighborhood this spring/summer. I truly believe it has helped me to meet more neighbors since we are more active in the neighborhood with all of our walks! Our neighbors have the sweetest son and he just turned a year old. It was fun to be able to walk around the neighborhood with my neighbor and the baby in the stroller this spring/summer/fall They have a dog, too, and walking with them together was great. I can't wait for more warm days again to do just that! 

I also couldn't be more thankful for how easy he is. Any dog, any pet, is a lot of work, but Henry is the easiest of the easy. He is fine left on his own, he rarely ever does anything 'bad' (he does like to steal socks, ha!), he does so well on long car rides or when he is babysat by family and friends. This Christmas season, I have left so many gifts wrapped under our tree and he hasn't touched them. He does so well at the vet- so behaved and handles shots better than I do.

I've seen him thrive this year in the house. Being in the suburbs is so much better for Henry- I can tell how much happier he is here and it brings me joy. I'd do it all over again even if just for his happiness! 

It's also so amazing to see my family love Henry so much and Henry loves them so much right back. Henry's love for my mom is NUTS. He cries and pants and gets SO EXCITED whenever I even say her name. When he sees her, he goes nuts in the sweetest way, it's hysterical.

I'd also like to say that there is truly not a day that goes by where I take Henry for granted. Losing Mac was so awful and it taught me to always cherish every day with Henry and I truly do! Here is to many more years with my sweet pup. I love sharing him with all of you, too!! 

3 comments:

Annaliese said...

Awww happy one year Henry! My cat's gotcha day was back in October and it was so special to celebrate!

xoxo A
www.southernbelleintraining.com

Kacy Thurman said...

This is the sweetest post!

Alyssa Inglis said...

I love this post so much! I feel the same way about my pup so I like to hear that I'm not the only one. Keep the pup content coming because I think it is a great topic so many of us can relate to!

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure