Friday, August 10, 2012

Home is Wherever I'm With You

“She is your mirror, shining back at you with a world of possibilities. She is your witness, who sees you at your worst and best, and loves you anyway. She is your partner in crime, your midnight companion, someone who knows when you are smiling, even in the dark. She is your teacher, your defense attorney, your personal press agent, even your shrink. Some days, she’s the reason you wish you were an only child.” -Barbara Alpert
me and cCm in Easthampton, June 2012
On this blog, I write a lot about things. I write about my wish lists for more things, my newest purchases, the latest and greatest... While that's all well and good (this is a fashion/lifestyle blog, after all), I think that sometimes it's good to take a step back from the "things" in our life and focus on the people.

 me and cCm, Georgia July 2012

baby cCm
me and cCm

cute little cCm in Georgia
The reason I write this is because today cCm embarks on her college journey. Now, I could talk about all of the adorable dorm accessories that we got her (they really are very cute), her cute new backpack (I tried to convince her to get a tote!!), and post pictures of her dorm room (I still will!), but I think it is important to highlight the changes in life. Life is compromised of changes... some people don't like to admit it, but change is what gives any life structure. Changes are intangible, something abstract...almost too difficult to put into words.

cCm and I, Parents Weekend 2008
I am used to being away from cCm because for the past 4 years, I have been away at James Madison University in Virginia while cCm, my dad and my mom were home in Pittsburgh. Now, the roles are reversed. cCm will be at the University of Kentucky and I will be at home. When I was 18, I never stopped to think that my senior year of high school could quite possibly be the last time our foursome ever fully lived together. It is a weird thought and makes me feel really old... I am almost embarrassed to admit that I am just now realizing this.

You know that song, by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros where they sing "home is wherever I'm with you"? It is suddenly starting to ring true... the saying "a house doesn't make a home"... another that is starting to make a bit more sense to me. Suddenly, not only am I all grown up but cCm is too.

cCm's derby hat ready for Keeneland!
I can't wait to see what the future brings for cCm. Although cCm and I are very different and bicker like sisters do, I know she is destined for something big and that she will have the best four years of her life at the University of Kentucky. Keep her in your thoughts and prayers as she navigates her first week and sorority rush! I love you, cCm... miss you already!!!! Go Cats!!!

Yours, 
sCe

10 comments:

Lindsey said...

I love this post and am so excited for her! cCm, I hope you have an amazing next four years at UK!! And on another note, I completely forgot that all the PNMs move in today and that on my way back to Lex, I need to completely avoid campus...whoops.

Caitlin C. said...

This is such a sweet post, and you must be so proud of your sister! The same thing happened with me... I'm now at home and my lil brother is off at college. It's really weird, isn't it?! Best of luck to her!

Let The Tide Pull Your Dreams Ashore said...

Love the first pic of you and your sis...very sweet! xx

shamim said...

your sister does surely take proud in you, your one of the most supportive elder sisters that i've ever known.

Anonymous said...

Good luck to cCm! We college freshman need to stick together :) I hope she has a great time at UK, I know someone going there and it's a great school!

Grace said...

I love that song! Best of luck to your sis!

M. Michelle said...

This is such a cute post! Those years when you all live together are the years you really do take for granted. Good luck to her in college!

Kyle said...

This is such a sweet post! I will be heading off to college tomorrow and leaving my big sister behind as well! It won't be quite the same, but the sister bond will always be there! Best of luck to your sister! Hope she has a great time!

Anonymous said...

Being from KY, I was extremely close to going there. All my friends are there for rush right now too! Hope she has a blast.

Portuguese Prepster said...

This is such a sweet post. I don't have any siblings but it still made me tear up. Wishing you sis all the best!

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure