Thursday, April 17, 2014

Carnegie Museum of Art and Natural History

A few weekends ago, some friends and I went to the Carnegie Museum of Art and Natural History. It is in Oakland, a neighborhood within the city of Pittsburgh. The neighborhood is home to the University of Pittsburgh and Carnegie Mellon University. The museum is practically on Pitt's campus, right across from the iconic Cathedral of Learning. 

It's funny, I have lived in Pittsburgh all of my life (except for college), yet have only visited the museum a handful of times. This was a rainy day, so spending the afternoon in the museum was perfect! Fun fact: The Carnegie Museum of Art was the first contemporary art museum in the country-- pretty neat! 

There are 2 other Carnegie Museums besides art and natural history. The other two are the Carnegie Science Center and the Andy Warhol Museum. I've been to the Science Center about 100 times (ok, slightly exaggerating) but am headed to the Andy Warhol next month to check out the Halston Silver and Suede exhibit (is it normal to be super excited to see Jackie O's iconic pillbox hat?!)! 

I absolutely love this painting by Edward Hopper. It is Sailing on Canvas and was done in 1911. Actually, it'd be perfect hanging right above my bed ;)





I really love and appreciate art. I love that there is such variety at CMOA... everything from Cezanne, Renoir, Monet, Pissarro (love),  van Gogh to Pittsburgh's own, Andy Warhol. You really can't get bored... we spent over 5 hours there and still didn't see everything. 

The architecture all over the building is a work of art in and of itself. 

There are some fun exhibitions for children, too... and sometimes it's fun to act like a child, too... right?

The hall of architecture is incredible. It makes you feel like you have been transported to Europe. 

Of course, you can't miss the t-rex! 

And, when you're in Oakland, aka college central, you do as the college kids would do, right? Post museum, we hopped across the street to a hole in the wall CMU bar for beer... and chips right from the bag... needless to say, this was most definitely the guys's idea, not ours... but hey, when in Rome, right?

Have you visited the Carnegie Museum of Art and Natural History? It's a must see if you are in town! My suggestion if you are visiting: go to the museum, post-museum have pickle martinis at Soba (just blocks away in Shadyside) and then have dinner at Girasole (the ravioli is like pillows of heaven and it's BYOB, aka bring your own Veuve...or $8 Mark West Pinot Noir ;) )-- the perfect day! Have a fabulous day! 

Yours, 

10 comments:

Gramspearls said...

Miss S,
Very nice post on PGH! It has much to offer. I always enjoy a weekend away there.

Warmly,K

Meredith Scroggin said...

I love this look on you and especially your hair! Do you have any particular way you do your hair like this? I always struggle with making it look as cute as this!

Meredith | www.monogrammeredith.com

PinkSenshi said...

This looks like so much fun! My choir is going on a field trip to sing at an art museum sometime soon and I can't wait!

Hunter
Prep on a Budget

Lauren said...

I will have to put that museum on my places to visit list, it looks amazing!

Lauren,
http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/

LK Hunsaker said...

Nice post! I need to get there. We've been in the area for 6 years and it's definitely time for a Pittsburgh art journey.

Kristin said...

That sounds like so much fun! I love art museums!

Kristin
thedixiedaisy.blogspot..com

Portuguese Prepster said...

I absolutely love museums and this looks so amazing! Must visit one day. Love your outfit too!

Seersucker Sass said...

Your post makes me want to visit Pittsburgh! Looks like you had a blast :)

XX, SS || A Little Seersucker Sass

BrookeOdom // B.Wanders said...

Living in DC, I am in walking distance to some of the most amazing museums. You've inspired me to take a little day trip :)
bwanders.blogspot.com

Laura Emily Dunn said...

so please take photos of Jackie's pillbox hat!!! :)

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure