Monday, April 2, 2018

An Easy Night-In Recipe









Earlier this year, I mentioned that I would be better about cooking and eating at home, especially on the weeknights. I am glad to report that I have been a lot better about this... not perfect, but still a big improvement.

One of the things that I don't love about not going out to eat during the weekdays is that it takes away from my social time with friends. Becuase of this, I have been having friends over for dinner about once a week. Last week, I had my girlfriend Aly over who I hadn't seen in a while and I made her dinner! It makes eating at home a little bit easier and more fun when you are cooking for friends! 

Since we had just had a big snowstorm (ick), I wanted something easy but warm and savory. So, I whipped up these great Mrs. T's cheese pierogies. 

Being from Pittsburgh, we have a large Eastern European community and so I grew up eating pierogies. Pittsburgh has a pierogy festival each year and it is one of my most favorite events because there are so many ways you can prepare a pierogi!  Plus, it's just one of those meals that taste like childhood for me since my mom would always make them for dinner. 

So, when Mrs. T's asked to partner on a post, I thought it would be a no-brainer.  I mean, in Pittsburgh, our baseball team even honors Mrs. T's pierogies with a pierogy race every single game. I always root for Jalapeno Hannah because she has a cute handbag (hah!!).  Also, thanks to my mom, I've perfected the way I prepare Mrs. T's and I thought I'd share that with you today. 

What You'll Need:
1 box Mrs. T's Pierogies (4 pierogies per person are perfect, a box has 12)
Chopped White Onion (this amount is based on your preference) 
Chives
Sour Cream (I like to use low fat but you can also use Greek Yogurt)
EVOO 
Salt (I use pink Himalayan salt) 
Minced Garlic (again this amount is based on your preference)

Directions
- Cook Mrs. T's pierogies in a hot skillet on high with a tiny bit of EVOO, 8 minutes per side and let them get a tiny bit brown on both sides. 
- Set aside pierogies. 
- In a hot skillet, add a tiny bit of EVOO. Add chopped white onion (I buy mine pre-chopped), a pinch of Himalayan salt, and minced garlic. Sautee until lightly browned. 
- Top pierogies with the onion mixture, add a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle chopped chives over for color and a nice onion flavor. 

It's such a quick and easy meal, I almost always have a box in my freezer because they're so quick and easy but also a crowd-pleasing meal and they make for a pretty presentation as you can see above! Thank you to Mrs. T's for sponsoring this post. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own. 

3 comments:

KK said...

Love your runner! Where is it from?

Lori said...

Love the jeans. What brand are they?

Lauren said...

That looks so delicious and doable! Love the scallop plate!

Lauren,
http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure