Sunday, December 15, 2019

Service Sunday: Hopeful Bundles

In today's Service Sunday we are introduced to Abbie. I chose to highlight Abbie and her Hopeful Bundles because Abbie is only 16 and a shining example of what good there is in the world! She is truly making a difference and is so inspiring. 

Meet Abbie
My name is Abbie Toth, and I live in Pasadena, California. I am 16 years old and have been a Girl Scout for over ten years. I am the captain of the impromptu portion of my school’s speech and debate team. Additionally, I am involved in mock trial and academic decathlon. I helped to start a fashion club at my school this year and am on the board of that. I am also a Nordstrom Fashion Ambassador and have a fashion blog (sunsandandsilk.com). Furthermore, I am a part of comedy sportz, which is a competitive team improv. I also am part of the National Honor Society and the California Scholarship Federation. Currently, I am a junior in high school and am an ambassador for my school.

Me and my Aunt Jan
Abbie's Mission 
For my Girl Scout Gold Award Project, I worked with an issue that is very close to my heart. I created care packages for chemo patients at the City of Hope in Duarte, California.

In 2014, my aunt passed away due to colon cancer. She was treated at the City of Hope for over two years and this organization aided her tremendously. She had such a vibrant spirit so I knew for my project I wanted to do something that would brighten other patients' days, just as she did.

Additionally, my mom was treated at the City of Hope for breast cancer this past year. Fortunately, she is now cancer-free. Because the City of Hope aided my family so much, I wanted to give back and thus based my Gold Award Project around helping patients there.

I recently completed my project and am hoping to submit the Final proposal later this week. I will later have an interview to determine whether or not my project is approved and, if it is approved, I will receive my Girl Scout Gold Award (the highest award a Girl Scout can receive) in June.
One of the requirements for a Gold Award Project is that it is sustainable. I created a website so that anyone who wants to can create “hopeful bundles”. Another Girl Scout troop will also continue this project after me.

I created an anonymous support note system at the City of Hope that will continue, even though my project is technically done. In this system, one patient can write an anonymous support note, put it in a basket, then take an anonymous support note written by another patient. Through this system, I want to remind patients that they are not alone.
The Future of Hopeful Bundles 
This project is something I am truly passionate about. Last week, I dropped off a final few care packages and was stopped by a woman who thanked me immensely with tears in her eyes. She said she was so grateful to have received a care package. This made me realize how much I want to stay involved in this project. Thus, I want to make this project into a full-scale nonprofit. However, doing so is pricey. I am trying to figure out how exactly I could make it a nonprofit because I would love for this project to be spread to other places. Even if it could be spread to a hospital in Pittsburgh, that would be AMAZING!

My original goal with this project was to simply earn my Gold Award, but, through completing this project, I realized how much it helps patients and thus I want it to continue in the form of a nonprofit.
How You Can Help 
Anyone can make their own 'hopeful bundles'. Just follow the instructions on my website to create a care package that is appropriate for a chemo patient. I would enjoy hearing about anyone who makes their own hopeful bundles! These people can inform me about creating care packages by emailing abigailtoth.goldawardproject@gmail.com. Additionally, they can share that they created care packages with me on Instagram (my public account is my fashion blog which is @sunsandandsilk). Anyone can also give notes of support to chemo patients at local cancer treatment centers. If someone wants to help but does not want to create a care package, he or she can make a donation. These donations will be used to turn my project into a full-scale nonprofit and will go towards making more care packages. Anyone can contact abigailtoth.goldawardproject@gmail.com and I will send them the address to which a check or cash can be mailed. Donations can also be sent via Venmo to Jill-Toth-5.

No comments:

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure