Monday, January 13, 2020

How Often I Wash My Hair

How Often I Wash My Hair
My hair is the topic that has reigned supreme throughout the 10 years that I have been blogging. I get asked daily about my hair in some way and I'm truly not exaggerating. It's so flattering! I have written a lot of posts about my hair and done some instastories tutorials.

With the addition of Orange Theory into my routine, I've gotten an influx of questions about how often I wash my hair. I totally get the curiosity, here. Working out isn't just 30 minutes or an hour for a lot of us because we have to factor in the time it takes to wash, blowdry and style our hair afterward. So that 1-hour workout ends up being over 2 hours because of the 'process'. 

I workout 4x per week and there was NO way I was about to wash my hair that often! I wash my hair once a week. Yes, you read that right. Just once. Obviously, this is not my hard and fast rule. Sometimes my hair gets greasy, sometimes I have an important event where I want freshly washed hair or sometimes I sweat way too much in Orange Theory and skipping a wash would be downright gross. But for the most part, I wash it once a week. 

I read this article last month and it is basically talking about how you can 'train' your hair to be washed less. I unknowingly think I have trained my hair. I know that sounds nuts, but take a look at the article because it could really help you! 

I thought I would share some of the things that I do that result in being able to go 6 days between washes. I truly think that because I wash it a lot less frequently that my hair is really healthy. It's so soft, strong, thick, and grows like a weed and that's saying something since I get my hair highlighted every 4-6 weeks (which is very damaging). 

Don't Use A Lot of Products
I truly don't use many products. Of course, if I am doing a special style, I'll use hairspray or dry shampoo or something. However, daily, I don't use dry shampoo or hairspray or anything of that nature. I will, however, use dry shampoo for texture if I'm pulling my hair up or if I'm on day 5,6,7 right before I wash... sometimes it just needs that little boost. But usually, I almost never use hairspray unless I'm doing a specific style that requires it. 

Let My Hair Air Dry 
I'm honestly not sure if this helps with keeping it less greasy or what, but I try not to blow dry my hair. There are, of course, situations where I need to blow dry it so I can get moving but I try to plan my hair washing at a time when I know I have hours at home. I prefer to shower at night when I wash my hair because then I can sleep with it wet and it pretty much dries by morning. I definitely think this helps a ton on keeping it healthy, though! 

Use A Wet Brush In The Shower
I think some people may use WAY too much conditioner in the shower. I use a decent amount but that's because I have a ton of thick hair. But, to make sure I don't go overboard, I brush the conditioner through with a wet brush. So that every strand is coated but also so that excess is pulled out of my hair. If you use a brush to evenly distribute the conditioner you will use less! I let the conditioner sit in my hair while I shave my legs, wash my face, etc. and then make sure I rinse it REALLY well. I think it's really important to make sure you are getting every bit of conditioner out of your hair! I actually don't use the Wet Brush brand when I am in the shower. I use this hairbrush because it works well but also I love the hook end so I can hang it in my shower so it dries quickly. When I get out of the shower, I brush it with the Wet Brush brand. 

Keep Your Hair Up 
Keep your hair up whenever you shower and are not washing your hair. I put it in a bun on the top of my head with a teletie and also put on this headband. I know there are shower caps, but I just don't like them, so this is my method and it works. My hair never gets wet! 

Brush My Hair
I brush my hair a lot and apparently, this helps to distribute the oil to your strands. I didn't really know this until I read the article, but I definitely brush my hair frequently so I am thinking this really does work! 

Ponytail
My hair is up in a high ponytail (think Barbie style) when I work out. I slick back my hair and secure with a teletie (it's not the most attractive look). That way, there's a lot of space/airflow under the ponytail/nape of my neck to minimize sweat. 

Rinse With Tepid Water
I read this in a magazine so many years ago and I've always followed it. I rinse my hair with tepid water. I like hot water when I shower but whenever it comes to rinsing my hair, I switch it to borderline cool water. I think it definitely helps with shine and lessens frizz. With this, though, it takes longer to rinse out the conditioner, so again, make sure every trace is rinsed out of your hair!

If you're looking to go longer in between washes, definitely try these! I hope they help! And if you go a while in between washes and have some good tips, share them in the comments below so we can all learn! 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your blog, wish it were mobile-friendly/responsive!

Sydney Carver Snyder said...

Anonymous, thank you! It will be in hopefully the latter half of 2020! It’s not as easy of a lift as it may seem but it’s a big goal of mine. Need to get through our wedding and honeymoon first until I can fully focus my attention on that project! But it’s coming, I promise!!!

Caroline Culver said...

This was such a great post! I have shared it with the entirety of my staff and we are all on the hair training bandwagon.

I am determined to get down to only washing my hair once a week and, in the process, get it healthier.

Thank you for the inspiration!

Unknown said...

I'm finally going to order some of the teleties, but am unsure if I should get the small or large size! I have pretty thick hair, but not quite as much as yours... which size do you prefer? Thanks!

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure