Monday, February 10, 2020

Decor: A Bedroom Vignette





Vizio TV// Lamp is from Homegoods// Rattan Frame

I have learned that I decorate best in spurts. I get really gung ho about something, focus on it, tackle it, and then take a breather. Between moving from the city to the suburbs, moving in with my fiancĂ©, planning a wedding and a honeymoon, and trying to continue on with everything else in life (work, social, etc.), decorating has not always taken a front seat. 

I've shared this before but I honestly thought the house would be more 'done' by now, but alas, that's just not the case and I've learned to be OK with it. I'm not someone that likes to order pieces online which makes the entire process take a lot longer. I like to see pieces in person, source antiques, choose high-quality items, and really make sure that whatever I am choosing to bring into our home is something I absolutely love enough to have for 10+ years to come. 

I really like a collected feel, too, which I think takes a lot longer than a clean, more modern style. I would call my taste traditional. I definitely identify with Grand Millenial qualities. I get inspired by Mario Buatta, Dorothy Draper/Carleton Varney, Ralph Lauren, Sister Parrish, Mark D. Sikes, and more. I do feel that I am at a crossroads, though, because a lot of the designs I love that that 'cluttered' feel and that's kind of where I draw the line. If things start to feel too cluttered, I don't love it. 

I actually don't think I have an eye for interior design at all. I find it extremely challenging to execute what is in my head so I always kind of chuckle when you all ask me for tips because I really don't have too many. I do, however, know what I like and what I don't and I think that's a good place to start. When it comes to decorating, I usually have champagne taste on more of a beer budget. I could walk into any interiors store and without looking at any prices and choose the most expensive item in the entire store. I think I'm cursed!!! 

Anyway, my current decorating focus is choosing a piece for under our living room TV. We bought the Samsung Frame TV which I was so excited about. Basically, it's a TV that hangs like a piece of art rather than a TV. So it ends up being flush against the wall. I also love that there is one tiny cord that hangs down and everything is controlled by a box that sits separately from the TV. I also chose this TV because it is compatible with the Xfinity Stream app. With that app, you don't need an unsightly cable box and instead, everything streams right through your TV. 

Right now, the TV is not on the wall, and I am just dying to get it up and enjoy the 'art' look of it. The wall space where the TV will hang is very long, so I've been searching high and low looking for a piece at very minimum 70" (most dresser-style pieces are about 60"). As much as I have wanted to do built-ins in a lot of areas of this home, it makes more financial sense for us to purchase pieces that we will be able to take with us to our next home. To be quite frank, we are trying to put as little money into this home as possible as it is not our forever home. 

So the hunt is on. I've been going to antique stores and even regular furniture stores non-stop to find something. I've always had my eye open for something but just haven't found 'the piece'. It has been driving me nuts, ha! 

So today I thought I would share our little TV vignette in our bedroom. I know a TV in the bedroom is a very polarizing topic. We weren't allowed TVs in our bedroom growing up and so I never had one until I went to college and then again when I moved into my apartment. As you can see, I am pro-TV in the bedroom (for adults). I love getting into my pajamas at night and watching something like The Bachelor. It comes on at 8 and by 9:30, I'm ready to turn off the lights and go to bed. My fiancĂ© and I like to watch movies up here, too, and I even like switching on the news some mornings. I hate silence so I like TVs on even if I'm not watching them. On top of that, our bedroom is so serene and one of the rooms in the house that is the most finished so I just love being in there. 

We didn't mean for the TV to be that big, but it was in my apartment (as the living room TV) so we didn't want the TV to go to waste. It's a Vizio and I actually highly recommend it. The brand is known to be more inexpensive but it's been such a great TV (and especially for the price). The Samsung Frame definitely has a better picture, but I'm not someone that really places high importance on super HD features. I've had it for 4 years and have never had any issues with it. 

I got sooooo lucky finding the dresser. We needed something with a small footprint as we needed a clear footpath between the bench at the end of the bed and the dresser (plus space for the drawers to fully open). This piece is something I found antiquing and the measurements were perfect down to the inch. I hadn't found anything even close to the right dimensions so I was sold on this. I like the very traditional look, too, and the style matches our nightstands, which is a bonus. 

I styled the top with truly random things I already had. I just pulled from here and there and this is what I came up with! When I style something with knick-knacks, I change it a dozen times, so what it looks like now will likely look different in a few months. 

Decor I Love:

No comments:

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure