Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Help Me To Celebrate 30: Donate Now!

'Those who are happiest are those who do the most for others.' - Booker T. Washington


Today is my 30th birthday. While I was looking forward to this milestone birthday and celebrating with my friends and family, right now, I'm so thankful for my health and the health of my family and friends. I'm so thankful for my safety thanks to all of our incredible and selfless essential workers and being able to stay at home with my fiancé and sweet Henry.


Another thing I am thankful for? Not knowing what being truly hungry feels like. Now, more than ever, Americans are wondering how they are going to afford their groceries and where they will get their next meal. Parents are forgoing food for themselves just so they can feed their children. It breaks my heart.

Since I can't celebrate my birthday with my friends and family this year, I am asking you all to celebrate with me by donating to the Pittsburgh Food Bank or your local community food bank wherever you may live.  This is an image shot a few days ago of the cars lining up for food distribution. The article says that there were 861 cars in 3 hours. The article also states that 'The coronavirus pandemic has triggered a 543% increase in people coming to the food bank directly for food.'

I donate to a cause each year on my birthday and this year I am donating to the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank. Just $100 can provide 500 meals- imagine if just 10 of you donated $100. That's 5000 meals!

I know that not everyone is able to donate in a time like this, but even if you can spare just $20, it will truly make a difference in someone's life. 

Thank you for your consideration and I hope we can all be a light for others in our lives even if you don't have the money to give. You can always spread kindness, prayers, and hope to others- and the best part is that it doesn't cost a thing. This too shall pass, but in the meantime, let's share our kindness and love with everyone! 

5 comments:

Anna Grace said...

Thank you for making such a wonderful donation! I love seeing these acts of kindness, especially during hard times like these.

Unknown said...

Happy 30th birthday Sydney! I am sure this is a birthday you will never forget. I hope you can make the best of the situation and enjoy the day with your fiance and Henry. Thank you for always keeping it positive on your blog. You are someone to look up to and hopefully you will be with your family and friends soon.

Cheers :)

-Shannon

Sarah said...

Hi Sydney - happy birthday! Just made a donation to the PGH Food Bank. Thank you for this post and for using your platform to share this, as I know it will be a huge benefit to our community here. Hope you have a great day with your fiance and Henry!

Best,
Sarah

Rachel said...

Happy Birthday Sydney! I hope you still had a great birthday at home. We are almost birthday twins! I celebrated my birthday on Easter the 12th. Its hard not to feel sad with spending your special day quarantined, but I think you are doing an amazing job making the most of it!

d1miranda said...

Happy Birthday Sydney!
It’s so nice to see you’re thinking of others before yourself. You continue to be such a positive role model. Even during the worst of times. Thank you and I hope the rest of this year only gets better for you.
Miranda

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure