Friday, July 30, 2021

A Special Story


This is just something little I thought I would share with you all because it is so special to me and I am soooo excited to wear it and there is a crazy story that goes along with it. I have been wearing this ring around the house ever since I got it back from the jeweler from being resized and engraved!

As my wedding approaches, I'm truly overjoyed but also sad at the same time that my grandpa won't' be there for my wedding day as well as my Grandma and Papap (my mom's parents). I feel so lucky to have been able to spend so much time with all of my grandparents throughout my life. They are all wonderful and great examples of what lifelong commitments to each other look like. I miss my grandpa, grandma, and papap each day. I am so fortunate to have my Grammie in good health- she is 95! She will, of course, be at our wedding and for that, I will be forever grateful. She is our only living grandparent on my side as well as my fiancĂ©'s side and she is the very best. 

My grandpa (my dad's dad and my grammie's husband) passed away in 2010. He worked in the jewelry industry. When he passed, my grammie started wearing his wedding band, which I think is so special. He had other wedding bands, though.... as a jeweler, you kind of end up having extras and backups. 

She gave me one of his gold bands. I cannot tell you how special the gold band is to me. It is beautiful and elegant in its simplicity and something I will have for the rest of my life and then end up passing down. It's truly a priceless heirloom. 

My fiancĂ© and I got wedding bands for each other as couples do for their wedding. But I also had always wanted to wear a plain gold band at times. I love that Annie in Father of the Bride does this and I actually notice in a lot of Nancy Meyer's movies, her characters wear plain gold bands. I think it's understated and so classic and traditional. 

I had to get the ring resized, so I took it to the jeweler and I had 'Carver' engraved on the inside. I am choosing to change my name once married, which I am so excited about, but I also have a very deep connection and love for my current last name. I've been Sydney Carver for 31 years. I'm actually going to drop my current middle name and will be switching it to Carver because I just couldn't bring myself to get drop it entirely, hence my new monogram sSc. My grandfather's last name was Carver (obviously) so I just felt that this was the perfect way to honor my maiden name and keep it with me always. 


I actually had a Godwink moment when I was taking the ring to the jeweler, it was sitting in the cupholder right next to me as I was driving. I was driving under a small bridge. There was a bit of traffic that day so I was stopped there for probably 30 seconds. I noticed the letters WMC spraypainted on the top of the little bridge. There was no other spray paint/graffiti. Only WMC. Honestly, I got chills. WMC is my grandpa's (and dad's) initials. I truly felt like this was him giving his blessing...I know I sound a little crazy, but he was there. It was the craziest thing I've ever experienced. I'm honestly getting choked up even sharing that! I drove back there the other day to see if I was seeing things or if it was really there. Sure enough, it was there and I snapped a photo that time to show my family because I just could not believe it. 

I'm glad I thought to do the resizing and engraving all before our wedding, too, because we will have this ring with us so it can be blessed along with my official wedding band! 

Just something little I thought to share with you all that is very special to me. I love my family so incredibly much and there is nothing more important than that!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Sydney, this story about your grandfather and his wedding band is so special. I love that you have one of his rings to wear on your wedding day and beyond so that you can always have a piece of your family history with you. When my paternal grandmother passed away (six months after I got married), I inherited her wedding band. My grandparents were married for nearly fifty years before my grandfather passed, so to wear her wedding band with my own rings is incredibly meaningful to me.

Karen T. said...

What a wonderful story! I love jewelry that has special meaning like that -- they are such cherished pieces :)

Sharon said...

That was just a beautiful story and I was so touched by it. It brought tears to my eyes. The ring is so classic and elegant and the connection to your grandparents just makes it more special.

I think I remember Annie wearing a gold wedding band when she called George from the airport.

Kelly said...

So sweet!!! I hope your wedding day is absolutely magical. So excited for you!!! It's been such a long time coming and you've been so gracious and patient throughout it all. I hope it's everything you ever dreamt of and more!!!!!!

Emily Bezak said...

What an amazing moment of kismet! I'd have goosebumps too.

Dana Cook said...

What a beautiful story! I especially love the Godwink....I think God winks at us more often than we realize!

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure