Tuesday, February 22, 2022

The Secret To Success

So this title is a little misleading. Sorry to disappoint, but I don't actually have the secret to success. I was thinking the other day, though, about this very topic. I was on the treadmill at Orange Theory and if we have longer pushes (several minutes just running at one steady pace), this is where I do a lot of my pondering about life, ha! What prompted my thoughts about success is that above said treadmills, there is a big word mural spanning the length of the wall. There are tons of brief motivational phrases. They are slightly cheesy but when I need a boost, they really do help[. Anyway, there was one about success. 

Is there actually some secret? Success is objective and can be defined in so many different ways by each individual person on a million and one different levels. But I don't think there is actually some big mystical secret that you need to become successful in any facet of life. 

Since I was at Orange Theory thinking about this, my mind first went to the fitness route. Was I successful in fitness? I attend classes regularly. I work hard in each class. I have been going for several years now. I enjoy working out and never regret it. From that, I have improved my 'benchmark' times, managed my anxiety and stress, lowered my resting heart rate, lost fat and gained muscle, and have an overall happier and healthier mindset. That all sounds pretty successful, right? 

There's a word, though, that comes to mind that led to my perceived 'success' at Orange Theory and that is consistency. I consistently attend those classes. I consistently work hard... you catch my drift. Those outcomes that I am deeming 'successful' have come from my consistency. None of that could or did happen overnight. 

Then my mind wandered over to my blog and social media. I know that a huge part of my success (or at least what I have defined as my own personal success) has come from consistency. I post to this website 5-6 times per week and have been consistent with that for 13 years. You all know that if you come to my website, there will be a new post at 6am EST each morning. 

Then I thought about my relationships. My husband, my family, and my friends. My relationship with my husband... we went from dating to engaged to married and throughout all of those years was the fact that we have been consistent in our commitment, communication, love, etc. Same with friends and family. Think about it... your friends are your friends because you consistently converse with them, see them, care for them, love them. Those friends who you may not be consistent with could end up friends that maybe you lose touch with and that's how they end up as acquaintances. But if you really dumb it down, consistency is a key to relationships of all kinds. 

Of course, there are a million and one variables with life and success and relationships. There's sheer talent, gifted abilities, privileges, and the like. I don't mean to discount that. But I do think that is something to think about. If you are discouraged about something in life, as Dorey (from Finding Nemo) would say, 'just keep swimming' and one day, you may find success! 

What's funny about this post is that it just sparked a memory of hearing a quote quite often when growing up that concisely illustrates what I am trying to say: 'little by little one travels far.' 

I would love to know your thoughts on this! Have you seen success in some facet of life because of your consistency?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this! Good insight and an appropriate nod to the fact that while privilege is a factor, consistency is key! Both of the quotes are worth writing down - thanks for the food for thought :)

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure