Friday, December 16, 2022

Pupdate: Henry's 5th Gotcha Day Anniversary



Today is Henry's 5th Gotcha Day Anniversary! Since I rescued him, I don't know his actual birthday so this is also a birthday celebration. The vet estimates he is about 7... so probably 2 when I got him.

Henry means so much to me and I am sure you all can tell by how much I am with him and how often I post about him. He is my soul dog. He and I get each other on a deeper level. I know that sounds a little 'out there', but there is a reason for the saying 'dogs are man's best friend' because he is truly my best friend in the entire world. 

He is the joy in my every day. He helps me to see the good in the world and helps to ease my mind whenever anxiety takes over. 

I can only hope that I am giving him as much as he gives me!

It's crazy to think he has been in my life for 5 years. On one hand, that sounds like such a short time because I feel like he and I have been together forever. But on the other hand, so much in my life has changed since then. I got engaged, bought a house, got married, traveled to many places, and celebrated many of life's milestone's with the ones I love. He's been there for all of it! 

If you are ever considering adopting a dog, I could not recommend it more. We adopted our dog, Mac, growing up and it was the most rewarding thing ever. My parent's adopted Buddy not too long ago and he is just the best. My sister adopted their sweet girl, Bean, right around when I adopted Henry and we all love our pups so much. 



HOW TO HELP:
In that same vein, in honor of Henry's birthday, I wanted to highlight some organizations should feel so led to give back to an animal organization! 

First, we rescued Henry to what was formerly known as Tracy's Dogs. It has since then changed around to be Tracy's Paws Rescue. You can donate but you can also donate via their Amazon Wish List

Shelters that take in dogs that create Amazon Wish Lists need so many basic things. Cleaning supplies, food for the dogs, leashes, etc. 

Bridge To Home, is a local Pittsburgh-area animal rescue and you can donate, here. They also have an Amazon Wish List that you can find, here. 

Fur Kid Rescue is another local to Pittsburgh area foster care for dogs that they rescue and then get ready for adoption. I originally learned about this rescue because they have brought their pups to the Strip District so you can meet some of their pups up for adoption! It is SO fun to meet them! You can donate, here. You can find their Amazon Wish List. I donated quite a few leashes to FKR via their wish list to celebrate Henry! These types of organizations are how we got Henry. Some shelters euthanize dogs because they become overcrowded. It's truly heartbreaking. The first step to combat this is to spay and neuter your pets. But these rescues going into kill shelters and rescue dogs to free up space in the shelter so they don't have to euthanize any dogs. Henry was rescued from a high kill shelter. I cannot believe anyone would put him on an euthanasia list!

Receipt Excerpt

My donation, in honor Henry's 5th gotcha day and always in memory of our sweet Mac will go to Washington Area Humane Society. This is a local humane society where we got our sweet Mac, who passed away in early 2018. If you have the means, and feel called to support, please do! If you are like me, and prefer to support as local to where you live as possible, you can easily find you local animal shelter by googling your city/town and 'humane society' and donate there! 

I feel so lucky that there are organizations out there like these 4 that I have listed. There are SO many more that need all of the support that they can get so if you have any that you'd like to drop in the comments for others to check out, please do!

1 comment:

Susan R said...

I absolutely love and "get" this post. I have two Jack Russell Terriers Kona and Watson and they are my world. Kona is also MY Girl. Henry is adorable and I love when you tell us about him and what's going on with him as well.

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure