Monday, May 20, 2024

Americana Flag Sweater: Ralph Lauren vs. Tuckernuck

Ralph Lauren (left)// Tuckernuck (right)

I wanted to chat about flag sweaters with you all because I love a good flag sweater. They are timeless and great for kids, men, grandparents... literally anyone and everyone. It's a staple I wear SO much, and I also wear it year-round. I'm updating this post I wrote in February because I found a few more flag sweaters to add into the mix in case you are shopping for one, considering Memorial Day weekend and 4th of July are around the corner, so scroll to the bottom to see the updates! 

I have both the Tuckernuck flag sweater and the Ralph Lauren flag sweater. Many other brands also offer flag sweaters, but I will focus on these two since I own them both! 

Cost:
Tuckernuck: $248
Ralph Lauren: $398

Materials:
Tuckernuck: 100% cotton
Ralph Lauren: 100% cotton

Sizing:
Tuckernuck: It's true to size, but you could size down for a closer fit. It's roomy/boyfriend-style, but I love that.
Ralph Lauren: True to size, a slimmer, closer fit vs. Tucekrnuck. 

Fit: 
Tuckernuck: both the neckline and the sleeve hems are rolled, which is nice and adds to the casual vibe of the sweater. The neckline is between a crew and a mock neck. the length is a bit longer and more a-line than the Ralph Lauren sweater. 
Ralph Lauren: This is a true, classic crewneck sweater that hits right at the hip and has a flattering, slimmer fit. 

My thoughts:
Tuckernuck: For being about $150 less, I prefer the Tuckernuck version, so if you are considering one or the other, the Tuckernuck is less costly but just as nice as the Ralph Lauren. If you prefer a more classic crewneck style, Tuckernuck makes a version for $298, which is still $100 less than the Ralph Lauren version. 

Ralph Lauren: I love this Ralph Lauren sweater. I've had it for over 10 years, and it has held up perfectly. It is high quality and classic. I don't love the RL logo on the sweater; it's unnecessary. My husband has this one in navy, and it looks so handsome on him. 

The stars are embroidered on both, and nothing is printed on either.  

Bottom Line:
You can't go wrong with either, but when it comes down to price, you can save $150 and go with the Tuckernuck option, and I think you'd be just as happy! 

Scroll below to see many outfits of how I have styled both sweaters over the years and seasons. 














My husband has the men's Ralph Lauren version in Navy blue.

UPDATE:

Over the last few months, quite a few new options worth sharing have popped up. All of them are budget-friendly, too!




This sweater is a great option for under $50. It's 100% cotton, and it fits true to size. The quality is great. The only thing that's pretty different from the Tuckernuck and RL options is that the starts are not stitched on. I do think the stars being stitched on gives it a nicer look, but at under $50, it's still a beautiful sweater!

The sweater sells out but pops back in stock, so if you see it sold out, it's worth keeping an eye on. There is also a great option via Target. it's a cotton/poly blend, so I'd say choose the ON option first before considering the Target option! 

More flag sweater options:

2 comments:

hollygolightly said...

This sweater is absolutely timeless. I love that, despite changes in trends, this is a perennial and you can’t go wrong (that’s to say all ages and people can pull this off). What a good idea for a blog article!

Emily VanderZwalm said...

This is marvelous! Your diligence is much appreciate!

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure