Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Inspiration vs. Reality

TUCKERNUCK  Blanc Tie Tweed Kelly Dress

TUCKERNUCK  Blanc Tie Tweed Kelly Dress

TUCKERNUCK  Blanc Tie Tweed Kelly Dress
Shoes on sale right now!

TUCKERNUCK  Blanc Tie Tweed Kelly Dress
Lip Color in berry// Topped it off with this gloss in rose refresh

TUCKERNUCK  Blanc Tie Tweed Kelly Dress
Dress (TTS)// Shoes (under $100, TTS)


These photos have nothing to do with this post, but I just wanted to share this outfit I wore while in Charleston for a fun night out for drinks and dinner. We went to Melfi's, one of our all-time favorite Italian spots in Charleston. The stretch Armstrong pizza is a *must*. This tweed dress is fantastic. Such high quality, full lined with thoughtful details. It runs true to size. I feel so ladylike and polished when I wear it. It also comes in navy blue! 

Social media can serve all sorts of different purposes for each user. It is quite literally my job, but I also use it as a form of entertainment, inspiration, and connecting with others who share my interests. 

Sometimes, it can be hard not to compare myself to what I see on social media.  Over the years, I've worked hard to not let that bother me. It's taken hard work, but I have gotten good at separating myself from social media vs. reality. But for some people, it can be a more significant struggle and a more common issue for younger women in high school and college. Honestly, I cannot imagine having today's social media and being a teen. 

I recently received a flattering and kind DM complimenting my skin. She asked how I get my skin to look like it does. Wow, that was so nice!!!

I was flattered that this person thought I had nice skin. I do work hard to have my skin the way it is. I am regimented about my skincare routine. I never skip a day, always remove my makeup, and give myself makeup-free days. So, it was nice to hear that. I mean it is always nice to receive a kind compliment, right?!

While I don't use filters when I share or discuss beauty/skincare products, the camera is not showing you those fine lines I can see when I look in the magnifying mirror every morning as I apply my makeup or the crazy zit that shows up overnight or the crazy dark circles under my eyes that I cannot seem to get rid of no matter what I do! You don't get the complete picture on social media. I always remind myself of this, and it can be a helpful reminder if you are ever feeling down on yourself because you are playing the comparison game. 

There's a quote by Jon Acuff that says, “Don't compare your beginning to someone else's middle, or your middle to someone else's end. Don't compare the start of your second quarter of life to someone else's third quarter.”

I don't know the person who messaged me about my skin. I don't know their age, where they live, or any of their life details. I also don't know that she was comparing her skin to mine, but maybe she was just giving me a lovely compliment instead. But it would be silly of her to compare herself to me if she is older than me, right? I am on TikTok a decent amount, and every once in a while, I think, wow, her skin is perfect; she is so thin and fit, and I have to remind myself that many of these girls are over 10 years younger than I am! 

Regardless of age, it's silly to compare things like skin, hair, leg length, etc, because of genetics, right? My parents have always looked young for their age! Everyone in this world comes from different circumstances. It is like a fingerprint; no two are the same. Comparing yourself to someone else, while sometimes comforting, more often causes feelings of inadequacy. 

'Comparison is the thief of joy' could not be more accurate! 

So when you see someone else's life on social media, and there is an aspect where you find yourself comparing and causing you to feel less than others, I urge you to remember that the only person worth comparing yourself to is yourself! 

This is a lesson I learned at Orange Theory. In the classes, they don't have you competing against others. Instead, you compete against yourself. Because what good would it do if I was racing the 25-year-old guy next to me? I'd likely have no chance, and even if I was next to a woman my age, she could be training for a marathon and running daily. I don't.

We all know this. We all get it. But with the prevalence of social media in our daily lives, it's worth the occasional reminder. We are all unique in our own ways, and I love that! 

No comments:

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure