Tuesday, August 18, 2026

A Style Classic: The Rugby Shirt


Every few seasons, fashion (or really social media at this point) declares something a 'trend' that those of us who love classic style never really stopped wearing. This fall, it seems to be the rugby shirt, and I am very much here for it!! Rugby shirts are inherently preppy, sporty, and I'd argue, practical. Despite their current label of 'on-trend,' they are timeless. They work just as well for men as for women at any age, and right now there are so many great versions to choose from.

I dug into the history of the rugby shirt for this blog post, and it dates back to 19th-century England. Early versions evolved into the heavyweight cotton jersey style we recognize today, with sturdy construction (I love when they have reinforced elbows), contrasting collars, and concealed plackets. The often bold, horizontal stripes helped to distinguish one club or school from another. By the mid-20th century, the style had migrated off the sports fields and into everyday wardrobes. It eventually became part of the same preppy lexicon as loafers, chinos, cable-knit sweaters, and polo shirts. I know there are photos of my parents from the 80s sporting rugby shirts and often layered with things like turtlenecks or button-down oxfords à la John Hughes. 

I love when a classic style comes back 'in' because they aren't something that will suddenly look dated next year. Brands are putting their own spin on a very old classic, like playing with proportions, colors, stripes, embroidery, cropped silhouettes, oversized fits, and feminine details. 

 I dug up this extremely blurry BlackBerry photo from my junior year of college wearing a RL Rugby! 

And, of course, it makes me miss Rugby Ralph Lauren! Ralph Lauren launched Rugby in 2004 as a younger, slightly more irreverent interpretation of its signature preppy style. Because I was 14 when the brand launched, and kind of grew up with it before they shut it down in 2013, I feel so attached to it. That was the brand I looked to for style tips, and I saved every penny from babysitting and lifeguarding to buy a piece of Rugly RL! And of course, true to its name, they did rugby shirts SO well with so many intricate crests, patches, and other embellishments.

The number of rugby shirts popping up this fall feels like a little bit of Rugby RL coming back to life. It makes me feel both old and thrilled. 


I've been seeing versions from so many of my favorite brands lately, so I've rounded up the best rugby-style shirts. And unlike many 'trends' right now, this is actually something you can wear until you're 100 years old and still look timeless. 

You can find me on ShopMy, where I link all of my outfits, favorite finds, home decor, beauty, and more! I am constantly updating it with the latest! You can also follow me on the LTK app. Plus, you are able to access all of my posts, here, on my website! 

This content may contain affiliate links; when you click the link and make a purchase, I may receive a commission (at no cost to you).

No comments:

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure