Sunday, June 14, 2009

Come Fly With Me...

So, I was perusing the PreppyJournal, and I found this article about the way flying used to be. It caught my eye, it was about Pan Am which ended in 1991. It caught my eye because I absolutely LOVE the movie Catch Me If You Can. Seriously who doesn't like that movie. Now of course, I wasn't born when flying was a luxury and you got all dressed up to get on a plane. I'm in the era of sweatpants, arriving hours before your flight so you can get through security, and eating the crappy airport food, because on some flights, peanuts aren't even offered! I mean it's all understood considering the devastating event of 9/11.. But If I had experienced the glamorous days of air travel, I think I would miss them very much. At my age, I am very lucky to have been able to travel as much as I have and to experience many different flights (and even had my share of wonderful first class flights) however, while reading up on Pan Am airlines, I saw pictures such as these. Don't they just make you want to be able to travel like our parents and grandparents were able to? Well, you all can once again, although it will cost you. Big time! No, it's not on Pan Am, but on Singapore Airlines. I always see ads for this airline in Town and Country magazine, and have always thought the picture is amazingly cool but I have never looked into it. Well, I became curious and decided to look into it! The pictures are absolutely amazing, I mean seriously it's worth your time to google image search it because these planes are to die for. My house isn't as nice as these planes. Economy class even has huge leather seats with their own big viewing screen to watch movies or go onto the internet. But, as you are probabaly not surprised, for 1 adult to fly from my city to Sydney, Australia in the lowest "Economy Class", it costs $2,280. Yes, just imagine how many pairs of Loubitons you could buy, or how many nights out to dinner you could have, or how many nights you could spend in an ocean front room at The Breakers in Palm Beach. Now I realize that this airplane is a once in a lifetime thing, so I have decided that I wish to someday travel on an airplane as grand as Pan Am was or as exquisite as Singapore Airlines is. Here are some eye-catching photos:Sorry about the 2 posts in one night, but when I came across this, I just had to stay up until 2AM to blog about it! Lots more to come tomorrow, I have so much to write about!!

Yours,
sCe


4 comments:

Justin said...

I make a point of dressing nicely on the plane. It is a bit unexpected nowadays, but also the perfect time and place to make a fashion statement. When I step on the plane I want everyone to look at me and think "what a preppy boy!"

Hopsy said...

Air travel really has changed over the years, bit I too always dress nicely on a plane too. I have found it makes all the difference and while it may not seem right, you are always treated well. I have had marvelous luck just by looking good and by being polite!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I love your blog too. And this is such a cool post. I love Catch Me If You Can as well :)

Marilyn *Pink Martinis and Pearls* said...

OMGosh! I just found this post from your side bar because the title is the same as my give-away this week! Obviously we were on the same jet steam! Love the photos!!

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure