Friday, December 28, 2012

The Great Bean Debate

Bloggers/readers, I need your opinion again!!! You were all so helpful with my original boot decision so I have come to ask for help again! Who knew winter boot shopping would be so darn stressful!

I tried the Sorel Joan of Arctic boots on at Nordstrom and while I could definitely see the potential warmth, I felt that they were a little too over the top and too much boot for me. However, I still love the way they look...just not for me! 

I completely discounted the Hunters, although that is what cCm chose. I didn't think they would provide the warmth that I was looking for; but like the Sorels, I love the way they look. 

Ultimately, I ended up purchasing....
The L.L. Bean 8" GoreTex/Thinsulate. My though process was that they are the ultimate classic winter boots and will last me forever. The more you wear them, the comfier and cozy they become. Plus, L.L. Bean guarantees the boots and you can send them in for any repair. Money well spent in my book. I also think that they look really cute with skirts. The GoreTex provides the most warmth and the Thinsulate makes the boot completely waterproof. The salesman at L.L. Bean assured me that the GoreTex provides more warmth than  the shearling... and another plus of the GoreTex is that the tongue is attached, whereas the tongue is detached on the shearling version. I also purchased shearling foot-beds for the boots for extra warmth. 

Now here is the dilemma. I love the classic look of the above boot. However, now I am thinking that I need the 10" instead. But the 10" only comes in brown on brown (they didn't carry either in the store for me to try on). 

The top boot is the 10" shearling lined and the bottom boot is the 10" GoreTex

I don't mind the all brown when looking at them but trying to actually wear the all brown 10" boots with black (such as black leggings or tights) would really clash. Should I stick with the 8" or go with the 10"?! This is just something I can't seem to make my mind up about! Thanks for all of your comments and help already; I really appreciate it. Have a fabulous day! 
Yours, 
sCe

14 comments:

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

I love Bean ducks but be careful because they are not really made for women. I bought a pair last year online and when I returned them to the store and tried on every other pair, the sales girl finally confessed that their womens shoes run VERY VERY wide. She said that most (many?) who buy online without first trying on, end up returning them because they are so flipping wide. Which makes me sad- I love them and they would be so practical here in NY. Anyway, yay if they fit you but I like to give girls fair warning that they run wide. And if they do fit you, I am forever jealous. :)

SHUG IN BOOTS {Beth} said...

i say the 8" with thick socks ... better to be versatile.

Royar said...

I agree with what PPC said, as mine run super wide and my feet are already extremely narrow, and I feel like my toes are swimming! But I think the 8" with gore-tex are perfect! My brother has them, and they have gotten him through many NoVA winters. I have the 8" without, and my feet are always warm with hiking socks! You'll be fine with whatever you choose, LL Bean can't be beat! xx

BAH said...

I have the 8" and I l-o-v-e them. Still tall enough to tuck jeans in, and I usually wear the J. Crew camp socks with them for some extra warmth (not here in South Florida obviously, but I took them with me to Colorado last year and they were perfect).

Chloe said...

I absolutely love the 8" ones! They are very versatile and honestly I think that they are the cutest! They look amazing with anything (and socks peaking out the top) and they are comfy and warm.
i don't think that there is a wrong choice when it comes to ll. bean shoes though!
xox

Francesca Acciardo said...

I definitely think you should keep the 8"!! Personally, they are SOOO much cuter and I just don't think the brown on brown would be very versatile!

xoxo,
Frannie

prince snow farm said...

I've had the 8 inch and have narrow feet. here in Massachusetts you need a warm, practical boot. I would go with the 8 inch brown with shearling for added snuggly warmth. And as beth said...just get thick socks...like an LL Bean ragg sock.

Maureen said...

Don't be afraid of Hunters. I live North of Boston and on the water. We are always being pelted w/ freezy rain, ice cold flooding water and snow, snow, snow. I LIVE in my Hunters. They're like my winter sneakers. Just make sure to add a nice warm sock....Wigwams are good!

JR Mazur said...

8'' should be fine, but you can always check out Sperry, they have boots that are nearly identical to the LL Bean ones

Anonymous said...

I have the shearling lined boots, but I keep them in Wyoming because they're heavy-duty boots...I love them though! I like how they're taller than the classic bean boot, plus they're so warm!

Emma said...

I have those exact 8" ones and absolutely love them! The color combination is classic and works with everything and they keep me plenty warm and dry up at school in Central NY! They run big though, just so you know; I had to order a full size down! Hope this helps!

Kristen said...

I have the 8" gore-tex and would highly recommend them. They are nothing short of perfect. You won't regret!

Anonymous said...

I have the 6" Bean boots and I can't stop wearing them! They are perfect! However, they do run bigger than normal boots.

xoxo chelsea

www.sweetpeachcouture.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I bought my first pair of Bean boots in 1971. I ordered a ladies size 10 narrow. They were perfect! I ordered the same boots for my daughters in 2004, one pair in size 9 narrow, the other in size 10 narrow. Year before last, a new puppy chewed one of my old boots beyond repair. When I called LLBean to reorder the ladies boot, size 10 narrow, I was told that LLBean no longer carries the ladies narrow boot! I ordered the 10 medium boot and found that it is HUGE! It felt like a man's boot. I am SO disappointed! I intend to call and write to Bean's and implore them to remake the narrow boot. I encourage you to do the same...

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure