Thursday, January 14, 2016

Lately 1/14

I'm Wearing: 
Tank ($24!)// Necklace

Pittsburgh-ing: As I mentioned in last week's lately post, we celebrated my sister, Callie's 22nd birthday this past weekend! She chose to go to Tender, which is a restaurant on Butler Street in Lawrenceville. It's really eclectic inside as it use to be a bank! I had been there for drinks before, but never for dinner. Everything we had was delicious. They had a gorgeous, massive bar with really fun drinks/craft cocktails. Although, I stuck with my usual extra dirty Hendrick's martini! Afterward, we headed to a bar on the Northside to cheer on the Steelers in the first playoff game. Can't wait for Sunday, round 2!

Wanting: I would love for you all to take a moment to fill out this quick survey to help make Summer Wind better and more tailored to what you like! It is completely anonymous unless you choose to enter your e-mail as a giveaway entry for a $100 Visa gift card! The responses I have received so far have been so incredible. You have all provided such sound advice; so thank you so so much for that! The giveaway/survey will continue through Sunday 1/17!



Wearing: I have to admit, I've been slightly lazy with what I've been wearing lately. A lot of the same thing over and over again (aka black, black, and more black). It's usually around this time of the year that I get really bored with my wardrobe. Scroll through above to see some of the things I've been eyeing to shake it up!

Reading: AdWeek's 10 Best Ads of 2015.  While we are on the topic of reading, I'm interested to know your #1 favorite book of all time? You know, the one that you stayed up until 3 am because you couldn't put down? I have been unimpressed with some of the books I've read lately and would love to know what your absolute favorite is (leave the title in the comments!).

Watching: Not watching Making a Murderer like the rest of the universe. I watched three episodes and could not get into it! However, I've seen a lot of movies lately, but still really want to see Sisters and the Big Short. I just saw The Martian with some friends and we all loved it. It stars Matt Damon and a host of other big names in Hollywood such as Jessica Chastain, Kristen Wiig, Jeff Daniels and Kate Mara. Kind of an odd grouping of people, but it was a really cool story line. Matt Damon gets stuck on Mars and the movie chronicles his experience... I don't want to share anymore, you have to watch! I also just saw Concussion which starred Will Smith. It was filmed in Pittsburgh so it was really awesome to see SO much Pittsburgh in this film.

Drinking: When I was in high school, I was a cheerleader. When we had our two weeks of two-a-days in August to prepare for the beginning of the season, we practiced/worked out 8 hours every day. Since we practiced on turf and the temperature would oftentimes be around 100 degrees, it was really easy to get dehydrated. I myself was so dehydrated at one point, that I got the chills and felt like I had the flu. So the lesson here? Drink your water! Anyway, I don't really like Gatorade, but I absolutely love Propel. That's what I always drank during two-a-days. I thought for the longest time that it was discontinued so I was excited to see it in the grocery store. I stocked up and have been drinking a ton of it. It's SO good and I think it's the perfect thing to drink if you aren't someone who loves to drink 'plain' water! While it's 0 calories and has a lot of great vitamins, I will caution that it contains sucralose-- so by no means should it substitute your water intake, but it's not terrible for you!

Listening: My January Spotify playlist is now public! It's a work in progress, but there's about 25+ great songs as of right now! Also, I have been obsessed with Vance Joy for a year or two, but I hadn't given the song, Fire and the Flood a chance. I have been listening to this non-stop on repeat! It's so good and I am obsessed with the lyrics, too! It's one of those songs where you can really belt out the chorus while you're driving! I've been listening to a lot of music lately (if you can't tell) because I got a UE boom speaker, which is wireless (Bluetooth) and easily portable, so I can listen anywhere! It has SUCH good sound, I definitely recommend it... it's a good price point, too!

Inspiring: I admit, I fell for click bait, but this was worth it. The tagline made it sound like Zulilly provided awful customer service when a customer was trying to return something, but when you click on the story, you read this amazing story! I know that this company practice is probably not the best for their 'bottom line' but the PR junkie in me absolutely LOVES this.

Loving: This article that features 13 of the best Chrome hacks. I am so team Chrome over any other browser and these are some pretty cool plug-ins. My personal favorites are Facebook Unseen which lets you read your Facebook messages without sending a read receipt, Push Bullet which allows you to transfer content between your devices, Full Page Screen Capture which allows you to take a screenshot of a really long page, Check My Links which checks a web page for broken links, and Momentum which is my favorite 'desktop' for Chrome.

Quoting: 'The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched.'- Helen Keller

10 comments:

Rachael H said...

I'm really into anything Colleen Hoover writes - they are easy to read romance books (but not like 50 Shades.) There is normally a good twist too. I would say start out with either November 9 or Ugly Love. Ugly Love is actually being made into a movie.

Just Jess said...

I love Sherrilyn Kenyon's The League series (sci-fi romance) but when I went on Goodreads I remembered that Mansfield Park by Austen is probably one of my favorites. Other recent favorites I find have been all different dystopian young adult novels.

Unknown said...

Loving this kind of update post - you've definitely given me some inspiration.

I'm really into YA books, and lately I've been reading The Mortal Instruments series (currently on Book 3) and I am ADDICTED. I've been staying up SUPER late just to read them in time for the Shadowhunters show on Freeform (aka Abc Family). LOVE IT!

Jasmine | The Sixth Disney Princess

Anonymous said...

All the Light We Cannot See ...excellent book...Nightengale is also on my list

Casey said...

My all-time favorite books are 'Brilliant', 'Priceless', 'Perfect', and 'Friends in High Places' by Marne Davis Kellogg. I read them every year. The only books that I've read relatively recently and couldn't put down were 'The Martian' by Andy Weir (just because I was so excited to see the movie and couldn't wait a month more until it came out) and the 'Divergent' trilogy.

Unknown said...

If you enjoy non-fiction, I definitely recommend both of Mindy Kaling's books, "Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me" and "Why No Me." They are absolutely hilarious and will brighten your day!
One of my favorite fiction novels is "Me Before You" by Jojo Moyers. The movie is coming out in March and has a phenomenal British cast. The book also has a sequel, "After You", which I haven't read yet but is on my list!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lucy said...

Just finished reading "The Perfume Collector" and "Station Eleven." The first one will make you want to travel to Paris immediately, but the second one will keep you from ever wanting to fly again. My favorite book of all time is "The Godfather" - it is my favorite movie as well.

Unknown said...

It can be so easy to get stuck in a rut with your winter wardrobe! I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one struggling. Sounds like you've been up to some fun stuff lately though!

xx Kathryn
www.chicandshimmer.com

Eloquently Emily said...

I am loving your makeup in the picture with your sister- what are you using? Looks great! Hope you have a great weekend!

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure