Thursday, February 9, 2017

Galentine's Day: To Callie, Love Sydney

a letter to my sister

fossil tassel pouch

donna morgan flutter sleeve dress



donna morgan flutter sleeve dress

a letter to my sister

monogrammed tassel clutch


On Me:

On Callie:
Top (old HM, similar)// Jeans (on sale!)
There's nothing better than celebrating friendship and love, right? Galentine's Day is a somewhat new-to-me concept, but I'm all about spreading the love. I roped Callie into celebrating with me and we gifted each other these adorable Fossil tassel clutches with our initials (because we can never have enough personalized items!).

Today is a special post. It's a side of me that I don't often share on the internet, but with Galentine's Day coming up on Monday, I've decided to share my Galentine: My sister, Callie. 

I've talked about Callie on Summer Wind a lot. We're four years apart in age, so she's always seemed a lot younger to me... until recently. She graduated from the University of Kentucky in May and moved back to Pittsburgh to work at a marketing company. Since she lives at my parent's, she has spent a lot of time hanging out at my place. We have sleepovers, movie nights, fun nights out, and so much more.

In the time that she has been home, I've gone from thinking of her as my little sister to seeing her as an adult; as an equal, and as my best friend. She's matured and grown up in ways I never imagined. Four years has always seemed like such a big gap (in age) but now it feels as though a gap doesn't even exist.

We are so different but so similar at the same time. She's funny, smart, creative, fearless and fun. She has helped with Summer Wind behind the scenes in so many ways that this website wouldn't exist without her help and support. And while she's quiet, she definitely has a little fire in her. The way she sticks up for me in situations is humbling and so cute. She's also honest... sometimes brutally, but for that, I can't thank her enough.

Callie just recently accepted a job in Charlotte, NC. I could not be happier for her. I'm so proud of her and all that she has accomplished not only professionally but personally, too. She has worked so hard to get to this point and I'm so glad that she is learning that hard work really does pay off. The company is lucky to have Callie as an employee.  Really, anyone is lucky to have Callie in their life. 

But to be honest, for me, this came as bittersweet news. I'm thrilled for her new adventure and can't wait to see all of the amazing things she accomplishes but my heart breaks a little knowing that she is 'leaving'. I actually have tears as I type this post. 

It makes me sad that our sleepovers will be rare, our adventures scheduled, and our distance extended. I've mentioned many times before how much my family means to me. I'm very much a homebody and always love to be with my family. Having Callie here for the past 10 months has been incredible. To be able to explore our hometown together, go on adventures, and have dinners as our family always has (before we had both gone off to college) has made me feel so lucky and so full. 

Although we have bickered in the past as sisters do and had one too many fights over who 'borrowed' who's clothes (my dad's gray hair can vouch for this), it's all erased by the love I have for her and the friendship I have found in her.

The bond that Callie and I share is unlike anything I think I'll ever find in another. She truly knows me and 'gets' me. I think that is exactly what makes sisters so special.

They say, 'a loyal sister is worth a thousand friends,' and I couldn't agree with that more. Change is always happening for better and worse. Even though Callie is 'leaving', I know one thing for sure: she will always be a constant in a life full of variables and for that, I am forever grateful.

Lucky to have you as my Galentine, Callie, love you always.

P.S. Today's lately post will be up tomorrow! 

11 comments:

Gold Clutter said...

I love your clutch.

Madras and Pearls said...

Yay, Charlotte is my city! She'll LOVE it here.

Have You Ever Noticed said...

Syd, you made me cry!

Emily said...

Isn't this clutch the best?! What a sweet post! Charlotte is so close to me- she will love it there! Best of luck to you & your fam as she starts this new adventure! My family is super close too and I know how hard it can be! XO

Helen said...

What a beautiful post! As someone who has secretly always wanted a sister, y'all are so lucky to have each other, whether near or far. I live 3,000 miles away from my parents and brothers, and it has really taught me that when family is as important as it is to you and me, you always find a way to make it work. It isn't always easy, but it is always worth it. Happy Valentine's Day!

Morgan Rose said...

Nothing quite like the relationship sisters have with each other! These clutches are so cute, I may need to order myself one later!

Unknown said...

Great post!! I will also be moving to Charlotte, North Carolina in a couple of months!!!

-Allie Kowal (JMU, ZTA)

Lauren said...

Love this!

Lauren,
http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com

Chic in Carolina said...

What a sweet post! Callie will love Charlotte- it's my hometown and there's so many fun things to do!

xoxo,
Katie
chicincarolina.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

This is just the sweetest :). Nothing like the bonds of a sister!

xx Kathryn
www.chicandshimmer.com

Maggie said...

This is so sweet and hits so close to home! I am 2 years apart from my sister and we have always been there for each other but it wasn't until I moved back home two years ago that I started to view her as a best friend. Then her and her husband moved to Atlanta for his work and it was so bittersweet. I was happy for them but so sad my best friend was leaving! Cherish the rest of the time you have with her--sisters are the best!! xo Maggie

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure