Friday, October 6, 2017

Travel Guide: Nemacolin Woodlands Resort

Travel Guide: Nemacolin Woodlands Resort


Happy Friday! Today I'm sharing details about my stay at Nemacolin Woodlands Resort from last weekend!

Last Friday, we drove up to Farmington, PA, which is a little over an hour south of Pittsburgh. We got there in the later evening, so we checked into our stunning Chateau Lafayette room with not one, but two chandeliers! If anyone knows me, I love lounging in a robe and that's just what I did. And let me tell you, lounging in a robe is even better when surrounded by chandeliers!

If you are not familiar with Nemacolin, it is a luxury resort that sits on over 2,000 acres in the Laurel Highlands in Southwestern Pennsylvania. They have all sorts of different accommodations, so whether you are looking for guy's golf weekend, a girl's spa weekend, a romantic getaway, or a family vacation, there is literally something there for everyone. 

Chateau Lafayette (which is the building we stayed in) was designed after the Ritz in Paris! You may also recognize Chateau Lafayette if you watched Jojo's season of the Bachelorette because they went to Nemacolin. It's so grand, you can't help but to feel like royalty by just walking into the stunning lobby. 

Get ready for photo overload (keep scrolling!) because every single square foot of Nemacolin is incredible Every corner you turn, there is something new discover! 

I grew up going to Nemacolin! It is where I first learned to ski and we went on family trips yearly since it is so close to Pittsburgh. When I told my sister, Callie, I was going to Nemacolin, she said 'send me a photo of that guy on the bench'... I loved that she remembered something so small like that- it made me laugh!!

I'll do a full outfit recap of everything I wore- so stay tuned for that starting on Tuesday! 
Saturday morning we headed to the Field Club. It's really great because Nemacolin has shuttles that will take you all over the property, so there was no need for us to use our car at any time! At the Field Club, you can do things like clay shooting, fly fishing, archery, and more. We shot clays and I was surprisingly a lot better than I thought I'd be! Our guide was so nice and helpful and very patient, which I really appreciated. It was so fun being up early in the morning riding around the beautiful field in a golf cart with a warm cup of coffee (they offer complimentary coffee service at the resort!).



After we departed the Field Club, we headed back to Chateau Lafayette to change. It was such a gorgeous morning- sunny and 60 degrees, so we decided to wander around the property. 



We started at Chateau Lafayette and then headed towards The Lodge which is an English Tudor-Style building that has many conference rooms and a huge art collection. You can see a photo of one of my favorite paintings- but if you are an art buff, this is the place to go. I was dying over all of the insanely gorgeous art. Their collection is massive. They also have a huge collection of framed Hermes scarves which I just LOVED. 
After we made it through The Lodge, we got to The Heritage Court Shoppes. This is what my sister was referring to when she said 'take a picture with the guy on the bench.' There's a statue sitting on a bench and she and I would always take such goofy photos with the statue. The Heritage Court Shoppes are not your average gift shops or boutiques. As you are walking through, it looks like you are walking through an adorable village. In the photo above, I'm sitting at PJ's Ice Cream and Pizza Parlor, which brought back so many memories from my childhood. Callie and I used to go there all the time for ice cream and it transports you right back to a cute 1950's-style soda shop/sock hop!



We ended up at The Tavern, which is a casual English-Pub styled restaurant. I had a glass of bubbly and a club sandwich that was SO good. Then I walked over to the Woodlands Spa. I got the 80-minute Garden Harvest Experience which was complete and utter bliss. The masseuse let me choose which herbs I'd like to have blended into a scrub, oil, and lotion. I chose mint and rosemary and oh my goodness, it was lovely. It was a full body massage but also with a scrub, which I had never experienced before. They give you a massage, but then exfoliate your entire body. You rinse off and then have lotion applied. Ah-mazing. Besides massages, they also offer so many more services. They even have a salon and their spa shop is amazing. I fell in love with the athletic brand Varley! They also use all Molton Brown products throughout the hotel. So. Nice. 



Post-Spa, we headed for a cocktail in the Chateau Lafayette lobby bar and enjoyed it in their tea lounge, where they serve traditional afternoon tea on the weekends! The late-afternoon light poured through the windows and lit up the incredibly designed room. 
Then, it was back to our room to shower in the GIANT marble shower/bath tub and get ready for the dinner reservation.



We arrived at Falling Rock,which is inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright (Wright's Falling Water design is just 20 minutes down the road). It's a boutique hotel that is situated on the Mystic Rock golf course. If you stay at Falling Rock, you have access to 24/7 butler service! We ran out to the gorgeous back patio to catch the absolutely stunning sunset. The view overlooking the golf course was absolutely breathtaking. As we headed in for dinner, we were seated at a table right next to the huge windows so we quite literally sipped champagne as the sun dipped below the horizon. It was one of the most beautiful moments. 

Aqueous is upscale and beautiful. It gave me the perfect excuse to get all dolled up! They had an extensive steak menu due to their in-house dry aging and cutting process. We started off with beef tartar and then I had the 8 oz filet with creamed spinach. Quite possible one of the best meals I've ever had. My steak was cook to perfection. We also got a side of the mac n cheese, because who can say no to mac n cheese?! Definitely the best mac I've ever had. My mouth is watering just thinking about the meal. Not only was the food good, but the service was top-notch. We were well taken care of all night long.



The next morning we enjoyed a slow morning complete with a large pot of coffee and room service. All in all, Nemacolin made for an incredible weekend. It was luxurious, relaxing, delicious, beautiful, and so much more! I can't wait to plan a trip back. At just an hour-ish away from Pittsburgh, it would even be very easy/doable to do a day trip and go to the spa/have dinner/etc. A big thank you to Nemacolin for hosting me and showing me all that it has to offer! 

3 comments:

Laura Baker Busic said...

Beautiful! Those sunset pictures are especially gorgeous, that's my favorite lighting for photos!

Anonymous said...

My husband and I go yearly. We love it there.

Cassidy said...

Beautiful photos. I would love to visit Nemacolin.

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure