Monday, January 15, 2018

The Best Guacamole Recipe

The Best Guacamole Recipe

While I was in Arizona, we went to a really cool restaurant, Sumomaya, where I discovered the BEST guacamole ever. It was pomegranate guacamole! Kind of odd, right? I wouldn't have ordered it on my own, but it's what the group chose. 

So, I tried it and fell in love. It's tart and sweet and salty and just all around a really great taste. We all loved it so much that we decided to try and recreate it the next day (hence the low-quality iPhone pic, sorry!). 

We not only replicated it, but we all agreed it was even better than Sumomaya's. We basically looked up a bunch of recipes online and then pulled what we liked best from each recipe, plus added some of our own ideas. 

Here's what you'll need:
- 2 avocados 
- Seeds from 1 pomegranate
- Chopped Cilantro (finely chopped)
- Juice of 1 whole lime
- green onion (finely chopped)
- 1/4 of a white onion (finely chopped)
- Adobo seasoning
- Half of a fresh jalapeno (finely chopped)

1. Dice avocado 

2. Gather seeds from pomegranate (You can buy them already prepared from most grocery stores. The grocery store that we went to was out, so we had to fish the seeds out of a whole pomegranate. We used this tip from this YouTube video and it was actually pretty fast and easy to do). 

3. Mix everything you finely chopped together in a large bowl. I find it helps if you start with just the avocado and then start to add the other finely chopped ingredients as you stir. 

4. We added seasoning and lime juice to taste, but the amount of lime juice we liked was 1 large lime. Adobo seasoning is something I didn't have, but my friend Erica had it and loves it. So, we added the seasoning in and it was fantastic. I actually ended up buying some once I got home. It kind of just works with everything and gives it a great flavor. 

Overall this is REALLY easy to make, but I honestly think it tastes different/fancy. It would be great to bring to a get together (like a Superbowl party). It gives you a little taste of summer, which we all need at this point, right?!

Do you have any tips to get the perfect homemade guac? Let me know! I'm a huge guacamole fan, so I love experimenting! 

3 comments:

Kelly said...

I never skimp on fresh minced garlic when I make guac! Sometimes all I put in mine is garlic and some pink sea salt, but recently we've been on a tomato/onion/jalapeno/garlic/lime juice kick (I guess traditional style). Especially considering as my attempts were always super gross back in college, I'm glad I've finally gotten it down to a science. I think the "finely" part of chopped makes alllll the difference!

Lauren said...

Definitely trying this - I am such a fan of guacamole!!!

Lauren,
http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com

Elisabeth said...

Oh I can’t wait to try this once we can have our big game night group again!! I feel like the weirder a combination of flavors sounds, the more amazing it ends up being.

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure