Monday, July 22, 2019

Ferragamo Vara and Varina Review

Ferragamo Vara and Varina Review

Ferragamo Vara and Varina Review

Are they worth it?
I say this every time, but it's hard to say if pricey designer items are 'worth it' because it's so subjective. Me, personally, I find them to be some of the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. I get tons of wear out of them, both casually and dressy, and they have lasted tons of wear for years now! I would say they are worth it.


How much do they cost?
At full price, the Vara is $595, and the Varina is $575.

Are they well-made? High quality?
They are made from thick, beautiful patent leather, and the hardware on the bow is beautifully substantial and shiny. The construction is impeccable, and if you just hold the shoe, you can tell it's high quality! You can also get them in regular leather, quilted, suede, etc.! They release different styles each year. 

What is the difference between Vara and Varina?
The vara is the one with the block heel. The heel is 1.75" and is covered in the same patent leather as the shoe. The Varina is flat and a classic ballet flat. I think the vara looks a little more ladylike and dressy, and the Varina can be dressed down better. I find that the vara is a little more of a sophisticated shoe and the varina is more youthful- something even an older teenager/college student would wear! 

Which is your favorite?
I personally love the vara (the one with the heel). This is because I have high arches, and the added heel gives my foot so much support. I also love the structured ladylike look of them, and the nude color elongates my legs because of the slight heel! Honestly, though, the Varina is right up there! 

Do you have to break them in?
Yes. I wouldn't walk miles in a brand-new pair. They have never given me a blister or anything like that, but the leather is quite stiff. Once you wear them a few times, the shoe will form to your foot and become so comfortable. 

Do they stretch out? 
Yes, a bit after a lot of wear...the usual amount for a leather product, nothing that noticeable. 

Are they comfortable? 
Yes!! They are crazy comfortable, which is one of the reasons I have so many pairs. I could walk miles in these, and they never hurt my feet. I also love that they look so structured, you'd think they would not be comfortable, but they are- a deceiving design! 

Do they ever go on sale?
Yes! Different colors that are seasonal go on sale and different styles. For example, sometimes they add metallics, quilting, etc., to change up the look. Here is a pair on Shopbop that's over $150 off! The classic styles in the classic colors rarely go on sale, but they do every once in a while. Shopbop has a few sales per year where they are usually included within the sale and are 25% off, which is a big saving! 

Where can you purchase them? 
So many retailers carry Ferragamo! Nordstrom, Shopbop, Saks, Neimans, etc. I've linked to them at the top of this post! 

Can you buy them second-hand?
You can find them on eBay and consignment websites like The Real Real. The only annoying thing about finding vara and varinas on websites like this is that sometimes they are truly vintage shoes. The truly vintage ones from the '80s/'90s are cut differently than the shoes today. I don't really love how the older pairs are cut, so when shopping second-hand, you just need to be conscious of this and look for the newer pairs! Here is an example of an older pair- can you see how the shoe's shape is slightly different?

How is the sizing?
For a European brand, I find that they run big.  With other brands like Gucci, I usually wear a 39, and in Ferragamo, I wear a 38.5. I wear an 8.5 in most American brands, so I would say it's more in line with American sizing! Either get your usual European size or size down a half size. 

What are the widths?
You can get a regular width, but you can also get wide with, which is usually denoted with a 'C.' I have never tried the wider width, so I don't have much to say about this. I have a 'normal' width foot, and the normal in Ferragamo suits me fine. 

Do they go out of style?
In my opinion, no. They are an iconic style from Ferragamo that they sell year after year. The style has been around for a very long time. I personally think they are timeless and ladylike! 





Which looks best with jeans? 
I think both. I really like Varas with boyfriend jeans... it dresses up a rather casual look! See above for a few outfits that I have worn with them in the past! 

Are these a comparable alternative to Chanel flats?
The varinas are a somewhat similar ballet flat style, but I don't think they are all that comparable. They are two very different shoes because of their construction. They are thicker, structured patent leather, whereas Chanel flats are more flexible and casual. I definitely think my varinas and varas give my outfits a totally different look than my Chanel flats!

Is there a look for less?
Yes! I think these nude bow flats have a very similar vibe for a lot less. These are almost identical to varinas but in my opinion, they look a little cheap! It might be worth ordering, though, to see if they are better in person! 

No comments:

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure