Tuesday, January 5, 2021

My Favorite Vitamin C Serum

Obagi Vitamin C Serum Review
I've been meaning to post about Vitamin C skincare products for a while. For several years now I have been trying all different brands and making notes on what I like/dislike about each one. I was going to do a big roundup of serums ranked in order with my experience... that will still come. 

However, in the meantime, I wanted to share with you all my favorite Vitamin C serum... I have tried SO many and find myself always going back to this one. 

Right now, it is 25% off with code OBAGI25. This is the last day for the promotion so act fast. This is the largest discount I have seen from the brand! 

Vitamin C, in general, as a skincare product is a holy-grail product for me. Regardless of brand, an active vitamin C product does wonders for my skin. Everyone's skin is different, so what may work for me is not always going to work for you and if you are new to the skincare world, you should definitely visit your dermatologist. I have such a great derm and I've always been able to run everything by her and pick her brain! 

In my personal experience using a Vitamin C product daily has... 
- Greatly reduced my pore size
- Prevents fine lines
- Overall makes my skin look clearer
- Hydrates my skin 
- Reduces/gets rid of acne scarring
- This isn't something vitamin C is known for, but I swear it has kept acne away. It doesn't cure already existing acne, there are better produtcts for that, but my skin is always clear and acne-free when regimentally using Vitamin C. 

I notice with Obagi, specifically, that the results happen much faster than with other brands. Some Vitamin C serums can be a bit drying and the Obagi serum always makes my skin feel very hydrating. A lot of Vitamin C products don't smell good at all, in fact they stink. This scent isn't pleasant but it's not as bad as or as strong some of the others I have tried. 

My skin is in good shape in terms of brightness and texture. I take really good care of my skin and am very regimented in my morning and nightitme skincare routines. So, sometimes it's hard for me to see big results from products just because my skin looks pretty good most of the time. 

I shared this story on Instagram already, but this is what really made me certain that the results from vitamin C serum, and specifically Obagi are so good. And to be frank, I think if you had never used Vitamin C serum before, you'll likely see positive results (regardless of brand) but this story really solidified the Obagi brand as being really good... not that I really even had doubts. 

My fiancĂ© is a big Tula fan. He has extremely sensitive skin and is allergic to a lot of things. Tula is one of the few brands that is gentle enough for his skin. Tula makes a vitamin C serum that's great, but it's truly not very powerful (Tula is 10%, compared to 20% Obagi). But not being powerful is often important for those with sensitive skin. Even with it being gentle, it still definitely improved his skin. 

So, my fiancĂ© ran out of the Tula vitamin C serum. He started using my Obagi serum. I had no idea until one day I commented on how amazing his skin was looking. His pores looked so good and his skin just looked so glowy. In fact, I said it was the best his skin has ever looked! He smirked and said he had been using my Obagi serum for 2ish weeks. His skin wasn't 'bad' in the first place, but the improvement in the texture and clarity in just 2 weeks was so noticeable. I don't really have a lot of fine lines or wrinkles (yet) but he has some fine lines on his forehead and even those were greatly minimized. I was blown away. 

All that to say that I definitely recommend this product. When I shared this story and how much I love Vitamin C on my Instagram stories, I got a some questions so I'll try to answer them below, but remember a dermatologist is always your best bet whenever you have any questions regarding your skin! I am not a professional and these answers are based merely on my own person experience and opinions from reading various things about Vitamin C. 

When do you appply the serum?
I splash my face with water in the morning (rarely ever cleanse) and then apply the Vitamin C serum as the first product. I let it sink in for a few minutes while I brush my teeth before I go through with my other skincare steps. 

Should I be storing it in the refrigerator?
Most vitamin c skincare products are not super stable. That means they can react to light and air and don't have a long shelf life. You could definitely store yours in the refrigerator. I don't because to be quite honest, I'm too lazy to walk downstairs to the kitchen every morning just to apply my serum. So I keep mine in a dark bathroom drawer that is obviously temperature regulated (you never want it to be too hot or to see light). That has always worked fine for me. I've seen the skincare fridges and I just feel like that's too high maintenance, even for me. 

How long does a bottle last you?
A bottle lasts me around 4-5ish months. I use it every single morning and I don't use it in excess. I'm conscious of the higher price tag so I really try to only use a few drops each time. A little really does go a long way. 

I often buy backstock of my favorite skincare products whenever they go on sale, but this is not really something you want to do that with because even if never opened, Vitamin C serum can lose its potentcy after about a year. 

I see there are different percentages, which one do you use?
I use the 20% which is the strongest over the counter that they offer. You'll be hard pressed to find anyting higher than that from any brand over the counter. I am really not an expert on this, but I would think if you are just starting out or have sensitive skin, you may want to consider a lesser active percentage. You'll get the same results but they'll just take a bit longer. When I first started using Vitamin C serum years ago, my skin tingled a little and then it got used to it after a few days. Then when I moved up a percentage, I felt that little bit of tingle again and it went away after a few days. 

And, if you are still not in belief of the wonder that is Obagi, check out the 500+ 5-star reviews on this stuff!

No comments:

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure