Friday, June 30, 2017

The Best and Easiest Ways to Stay Hydrated


I was a cheerleader all throughout my life. It was one of my passions growing up and I was JV and Varsity captain (#glorydays). As I entered high school, two weeks before school started, we had a series of workouts and practices called 'two-a-days'. 

Two-a-days were just that: 4 hour segments, twice a day. We'd arrive at our high school's track/field in the early morning, break to go home for lunch, and then return in the late afternoon for practice #2. Our schedule was somewhat similar with the football players who we'd share the field with. 

It was partially dreaded because of all of the workouts. Our lives were quite literally 'eat, sleep, cheer'. Even though the work was hard, that time during those 4 summers of my life hold some of my fondest memories. It was such a fun time to be with friends... we had such a camaraderie amongst us and other than cheerleading, not a care in the world. 

As this was always held in late August, it was hotter than you can imagine. And rumor always had it that the track/field was always 10 degrees hotter. 

As we worked out, our coaches made huge efforts to make sure we were hydrated by taking plenty of water breaks. I didn't even like sports drinks, but we were encouraged to have small cups here and there. It was not uncommon for girls to pass out due to heat/dehydration. 

I can remember coming home after a morning practice and being so exhausted that all I did was lay on the couch with chills (a sign of dehydration). I had to sip water the entire time to get myself back to a place where I could return to practice. Needless to say, after experiencing that, I've been pretty on top of staying hydrated regardless of the situation. 

During the summer months, it's so easy to become dehydrated... especially spending long hours laying out in the sun or doing activities like biking, hiking, swimming, etc. that quickly deplete your body of water. So, I've compiled a list of things for you to check off to make sure you are staying hydrated this summer (inside and out).


Drink Water
I mean this is common sense, right? Kind of, but I can't tell you how many times on just a 'regular day' where I haven't gotten enough water. To make sure I am drinking water, I keep a Tervis tumbler at my bedside (the big 24oz size) and keep that full at all times. I also have a Swell bottle that keeps liquids cold for 24 hours and does not spill if you throw it in a tote/handbag. I also keep disposable plastic water bottles in my fridge, just in case I am running out the door and don't have the extra 2 minutes to spare. That way I have no excuse not to have water by me at all times. 

Log Your Water Intake
Maybe you think you are drinking enough water, but I'd be willing to bet you are getting less than you may need. I use the app Waterlogged (free) and it sends me subtle reminders throughout the day to drink water. You can also log the ounces you are drinking, so you're able to keep track.







Moisturize
Just as you can be dehydrated on the inside, your body can also show signs of dehydration on the outside, too. Not to mention dry skin is not a good look. It can age you and intensify the look of your wrinkles. I moisturize my entire body after I get out of the shower each night and am sure to moisturize my face both morning and night and anytime after washing my face. 

I've been using the Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream and it is an anti-aging, moisturizing and plumping cream for your face and neck. I love trying new products, but was specifically intrigued by this cream due to the Good Housekeeping Institute study where scientists rigorously test products and evaluate them. The Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream was tested in a blind study against 10 prestige creams found in most department stores and the results are incredible. The cream measured 400% better in moisturization (after three hours) than a cream nearly 18 times its price, it increased moisture by 50% on average over a 24-hour period, and has niacinamide and hyaluronic acid to deeply hydrate and firm skin. 

I definitely recommend Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream because it truly keeps your skin moisturized, is light enough to wear under makeup, and doesn't make me break out at all. It is also very affordable. By keeping your face hydrated, you'll notice reduced appearance of lines and boosts in appearance of brightness and firmness.

Eat More Fruits and Vegetables 
I am obsessed with watermelon... it's so delicious. But it's also really great to snack on if you are feeling dehydrated since it contains mostly water. You can look up the water contents of fruits and vegetables very easily online. Some of the best options with the highest water content are: watermelon, strawberries, grapefruit, cantaloupe, cucumber, and lettuce. This also means that you can get hydration in while drinking your morning smoothie or fresh pressed juice. Another tip is to soak chia seeds in water- they can hold a ton of water and adding those into your smoothie can really help hydrate your body.

Avoid Dehydrating Drinks and Foods
These are things like processed foods, sodas, alcohol, etc. I love me some Taco Bell and a stiff g&t, don't get me wrong, but if you are eating and drinking these types of things, you should also be conscientious of your body's need for more water, too. 

Drink Water In the Morning
That hot water with lemon 'trend' is for good reason. There's a huge list of benefits from drinking hot water with lemon in the morning such as jump starting the digestive process, but it also forces you to get a solid 8+ ounces of water into you the moment you wake up. 

Replenish
Are you working out? Doing a lot of walking? Biking to work? Spending time in a sauna? All of that causes our bodies to sweat and lose water. You need to focus on replenishing the water lost after exercise. Drink water, but you may want to drink some sort of sports drink or coconut water, etc. if your activity is long or you are losing a lot of sweat. While it contains sugar, sports drinks also contain sodium and carbohydrates that your body needs to retain water and to refuel your system.

This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Olay. The opinions and text are all mine.

3 comments:

trg said...

I will definitely try the Oil of Olay, but I also would love to know what shorts you are wearing? You look so cute!

Anonymous said...

Mommypotamus has some great recipes for homemade electrolyte drinks. They're natural and actually way better for you than Gatorade etc. I work out really hard in the summer and I swear by them!

https://www. mommypotamus .com/diy-electrolyte-sports-drink

Joseph Ferguson said...

nice post

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure