Thursday, August 24, 2017

Lately 8/24/2017

It was the week of the Eclipse! Did anyone else go outside to catch it?! I definitely got caught up in all of the excitement and headed outside to watch. I went to Pittsburgh's Point State Park. It was SO HOT outside!

Not only was the eclipse cool to witness, but what I loved the most was seeing it bring so many people outside and bringing them all together in watching something historic and exciting. There were so many people and they were all being welcoming and friendly and so many were sharing their glasses with complete strangers. I just loved that.

This week has flown by per usual. I hammered down my September calendar so everything is scheduled and lots of blog posts in the queue. I was doing a quick list of all my traveling and this fall/early winter is going to be busssssy. I'm blissfully enjoying every second at home before things start to pick up. It will (scarily) be January before I know it.


Eating: Does anyone else LIVE for Bruster's ice cream? I really think it's the best ice cream in the entire world. Graham central station is my favorite flavor. I have been trying to get my fill of it before it starts to get chilly! 

Sale-ing: Did you hear?! The Lilly Pulitzer After Party Sale is COMING! Details in this post, here.

Sale-ing II: Tory Burch's sale is chugging right along. The deals are really good and there are even some fall pieces thrown in there.

Sale-ing III: Did you catch my post the other day sharing the amazing Sailor Sailor sale?!

Wanting: This navy blue leather tote bag looks stunning for the price! L.K. Bennett has a new pair of flats out right now that looks SUPER similar to the classic black and camel Chanel ballerina flats. Scroll through the widget above to see more pieces I am loving.

Watching: This recommendation comes with a caveat- if you want to go about your daily life and not second guess what you are eating, then do not watch the What the Health documentary on Netflix. I honestly wish I never watched it. It's a really eye opening and an interesting look into the meat and dairy industry. I eat both dairy and meat, however, I try to limit dairy. Meat, though?! I'm a total carnivore. I love beef tartar, filet, flank steak, burgers, chicken of all kinds, alllll the fish (I live for sushi), pulled pork, etc. etc.

But this documentary is scary and basically makes you feel like you need to be a vegan right away or else you'll die. I love scrambled eggs and in the documentary, it says that one egg is equal to 5 cigarettes. WHAT! It's also frustrating because it's like... 'ok, but what CAN I eat?!' I noticed myself at the grocery store yesterday buying things I don't normally buy because of the documentary... and in turn, my bill was WAY more expensive that usual.

However, if you are vegan already, this is worth the watch because it will confirm your lifestyle choice is a good one!

Listening: No words for my excitement about all things Taylor Swift. Is anyone following along with the social media craze? Not only am I a big TSwift fan, but I really do think she surrounds herself with brilliant minds. Her concerts are always well done productions and now, her PR stunt is making its rounds all over social media-without any paid advertising! It's pure brilliance. 



Loving: I was invited to the 33rd Annual Harriman Cup this year. I have always wanted to go, unfortunately, I already have travel plans for that weekend that I can't rearrange. However, if you are free Saturday September 16, you're definitely going to want to check out the amazing event! It's a polo match featuring Yale vs. University of Virginia at Bethpage State Park on Long Island. You can buy tickets, here (all are welcome!). They're very affordable and the event promises to be a good time! All proceeds from the match benefit Yale and UVA's polo programs. I hope some of you attend and then fill me in with photos afterward (so I can live vicariously through you!).

Loving II: Can we just talk about how AMAZING Talbots fall line is?! It's centered around all things Paris- umm swoon. They sent me the most fun Paris-themed package and it's pretty timely since I'll be in Paris in less than three months! Scroll through the widget above to see some of my favorites! 


Pittsburgh-ing: I met one of my friends for lunch the other day at a new Pittsburgh chain, Corelife Eatery. It's an order-at-the-counter type place but everything is 'healthy' and super fresh. I had the tuna poke bowl which was kale, quinoa, edamame, etc. with fresh tuna poke on top with a miso ginger vinaigrette. It was really good and the price was low for what I got!  

Quoting: 'Whatever makes you feel the sun from the inside out, chase that.'// See more of my favorites, here

3 comments:

Dragana said...

I never comment but wanted to say that while eating more fruits & veggies and less meat is great for you, that documentary is SUPER misleading. The eggs stat for example is from a study on cardiovascular health ... so yea one egg is (in this ONE study) as bad for your cardiovascular health as 5 cigarettes, which is to say, not that bad for you. The meat stuff is super misleading too - they don't explain what a class 1 carcinogen is so they make it seem like eating processed meat is as bad as arsenic, which is completely false. Class 1 refers to how much of a correlation there is between the substance and cancer, not how harmful it is. So, yeah, processed meat is bad but it's not arsenic.

ANYWAY, all that to say, don't be scared of food.

Casey said...

Here's an interesting article about 'What the Health':
https://www.plantbasednews.org/post/time-magazine-fact-checks-science-behind-what-the-health-and-gives-its-verdict
Honestly, watching 'Forks over Knives' did a better job of scaring me into a vegan lifestyle, especially if you have health problems, or a family history of health problems you want to avoid. But it's hard to change eating habits. I love beef, ice cream and cheese, chocolate, sweets.....

Molly said...

I'm a librarian in a rural town in Michigan and we had over 200 people watching the eclipse on our lawn! Everyone was so friendly and patient with each other--it was so refreshing to see.

I keep hearing about "What the Health" but I haven't watched it yet. I've been vegan for the past year and really love it (but I still miss sushi!).

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure