Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Thanksgiving Cocktail Ideas



Pineapple Cocktail Shaker  (similar less pricey version)

Do you have a favorite alcoholic beverage? My top favorites are champagne and an extra dirty Hendrick's martini. Gin has always been my favorite because I don't particularly care for vodka. However, lately, I've been trying to avoid gin- it's apparently the worst liquor for you (not that there is any liquor that's 'good' for you). 

Instead, I've been drinking tequila and soda with lime and I really like it. It's one of the lowest calorie cocktails you can have! 

This weekend, my sister, mom, and I popped into Pennsylvania Libations in the strip district. They did a tasting at our country club and my mom was there for it so she recommended that we stop in. The shop was really neat because all of the liquors that they were selling were made in Pennsylvania. They let us try whatever we wanted and it made me realize I can step out of my cocktail comfort zone easier than I thought!

With Thanksgiving coming up, I thought I would share a few fall cocktails that I am eager to try this fall and holiday season! 

Berry Little Cocktail// This is a champagne-based cocktail and I'm hoping it tastes as good as it is pretty! Traditionally, we drink champagne each Thanksgiving and this sounds like a fun twist. 

Christmosas// This is another champagne-based cocktail but this one is nice because you can make it in a big batch to serve it to many people! And how beautiful do all of the colors look? It's a conversation starter, that's for sure! 

Apple Cider Mule// Even though I'm not much of a vodka person, I do enjoy a Moscow mule from time to time and this one sounds delicious! 

Spiced Cider Margaritas// I'm all about a tequila-based drink and this one sounds so fun. 

Cranberry-Spice// This sounds really interesting and different than most cocktails because it combines ingredients I wouldn't normally use. Plus, the red color gives off a beautiful, autumnal vibe. 

2 comments:

TLA said...

I'm respectfully curious as to your source for the claim that gin is "one of the worst" liquors. I've heard that multiple places, but am thinking it must be propaganda from the vodka industry! ;) Gin actually has numerous health benefits due to the juniper berries, which are full of antioxidants and flavonoids. https://www.businessinsider.com/7-surprising-health-benefits-of-drinking-gin-2017-10?r=UK&IR=T

Thank you for sharing these recipes--can't wait to check out a few of them over the next few months! My family tradition is Beaujolais Nouveau at Thanksgiving and Champagne + oysters every Christmas Eve. I've been making this spiced cranberry sangria for the last few years as an apertif at both Thanksgiving and Christmas, and it's a *huge* hit! Bonus: once you cook the cranberries and strain the liquid for the syrup, chill the solids and you have a delicious, perfectly spiced cranberry-orange sauce to add to your table, so this recipe is like a two-for-one! You could also spoon the sauce into a pretty jar and tie a ribbon to give as a hostess gift if you are a guest at someone's holiday meal.

I use a half-cup of the fresh-squeezed orange juice that's available in the produce section of specialty markets (as a shortcut to squeezing oranges) for the two oranges called for in the recipe. I do use fresh cranberries and orange slices as a garnish rather than apples, which can easily brown and not look as appetizing. Depending on the size of your party, I would also at least double, if not triple the recipe, because it goes fast! I have used both Pinot Grigio and Cabernet Franc in this recipe with good results, but Pinot Grigio seems to be the most popular. GranGala orange liqueur is a more affordable but still good quality substitute for Cointreau. Let us know if you make the sangria and like it! Cheers!
http://www.pbs.org/food/fresh-tastes/spiced-cranberry-sangria/

Maitland said...

We usually make Kir Royales but use chambord as the liqueur!

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure