Friday, December 2, 2022

Easy Ways to Stay Fit During the Holidays

Easy Ways to Stay Active During the Holiday Season

You all know about my love for Orange Theory classes and using my rower at home. Well, I had burned my foot in early October which kept me from getting in a good sweat. Only just recently did I start to get back into more traditional workouts where I am actually getting that sweat that I love.  I crave a really hard workout that makes me push myself to give it my all. I have anxiety and working out is the single best thing to help me alleviate that so that's the main reason I work out. But besides that, I find it helps me sleep better and truly feel better. 

But you don't have to do traditional workouts to stay active and get your body moving. I think it's harder to find time for traditional workouts during the holiday season because your schedule is fuller and it's cold outside! But I do find that if I put my mind to it, I can stay active by doing little things throughout my day.

My biggest tip on the below actionable items is to wear clothing that you are comfortable enough to move around in. If you are in high heels and a dress, you are obviously not going to want to do most of the things on the list below, especially if it is cold where you live. I find that if I dress with sneakers when out and about running errands, I'm more likely to make more active choices than if I am dressed up too much. This can even apply if you are in an office. Instead of wearing a dress one day, opt for pants and you can even change into sneakers on a lunch break or whatever! 

I wanted to share some of the ways that I stay active during the holiday season that are so easy that you might not even think twice about them! 

Walk Your Pet// Henry is what keeps me most active. It definitely gets tougher in the cold weather, but usually, during December, it's a bit milder. He loves long walks so that is what we do! It makes me feel good to be outside but it also makes me feel good because I know Henry is getting the exercise that he needs to be healthy.

Park Far Away// I don't just do this around the holiday season but I try to do this always. It's a great way to get a few extra steps in (or a lot more depending on the parking lot). I also think it's just considerate to take a far-away parking spot so that leaves spots closer to the store for people like parents with small children! I will admit, that if I'm really dressed up and it's frigid or if I have uncomfortable high heels on for an event, I'm a little more selfish and will park closer, but for the most part, I try to park far away. I guess I should also note that you should use your best judgment regarding your own safety, parking lots can unfortunately be dangerous! 

Take the Stairs// If you work in an office building, I'd be willing to bet taking the stairs up and down a few times each day would be SUCH a good workout. I often choose the stairs, I think it's a quick and easy way to spike your heart rate and tone the back of your legs! 

Stretch// Are you watching a holiday movie or bingeing the latest Netflix series? Stretch while watching! I do this SO often. I was a gymnast/dancer/cheerleader growing up and so stretching is ingrained in me and I think it's even more important now than when I was 16. It makes me feel SO much better. 

Shop In-Store// I personally prefer to shop online, but if you are willing to brave places like the mall or an outdoor shopping center, you can get a ton of steps in that way. I know there are walking groups at our local mall who get together to walk indoors at the mall during the winter months. Heck, if you push a heavy cart around Target for long enough, that's good, too!

Shovel Snow// If you get a lot of snow, this is a serious workout. Growing up in Pittsburgh, I totally understand what a workout this really is. Snow is heavy so it's a bit of cardio and weights at the same time. Bonus points if you have time to shovel your neighbor's pathways, too, it's not only nice but will lengthen your 'workout'. Even just walking in snow is harder, kind of like when you walk on the beach! 

Go Ice Skating// In Pittsburgh, there are so many great rinks. I especially love the outdoor rink at PPG Place with a beautiful Christmas tree in the middle. Ice skating is fun and kind of a novelty since I don't do it too often, but it is a great way to get moving and feel festive!  

Skip the Moving Walkways// I always skip the moving walkways in airports and opt to walk. Airports can be the best place to get your steps in and I always take advantage of this- hence why I always dress comfortably in airports!

Clean// Vacuum, wipe things down, change the linens, carry things around your house to organize and put away, mop, dust, and restock your pantry. All of these things require movement! 

Dance// I LOVE to dance in my kitchen when I'm cleaning up after dinner or cooking or whatever. It's such a good stress reliever and can be so much fun when you put on a great song. 

1 comment:

KimmieJ said...

I love your pullover; where did you get it from?

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure