Friday, June 28, 2019

A Long Weekend In Nantucket



Clockwise starting at top left: Lol 41, Brotherhood, Provisions, Cru, Claudette, Lola 41

A few weeks ago we headed to Nantucket! It's one of my favorite places to travel to and one of the things that my fiancé and I bonded over early on in our relationship. I remember one of the first times I went to his house, I saw a Nantucket sign on his wall and I was shocked he knew about it. It's not a super popular place to travel to from Pittsburgh since it's harder to get to, so it's a rarity when I find other Pittsburghers who also love Nantucket! 

While it might not be my most favorite place on earth, it's definitely his favorite place on earth (but I absolutely love it). He spent summers there with his best friend (who will be his best man) working at the Juice Bar. They have so many fun stories from that time in their lives and I love hearing all about it. It's so much fun to go with him because we get backstage tours of the Juice Bar and he loves running into people he knows that still live on the island every summer. 

He actually ended up asking his best man while on Nantucket white a Juice Bar ornament from Anderson's and it was a success! 

We went together for the first time last year and decided to make a tradition out of it. This time, I wanted to make sure that we planned it around his 30th birthday which was on June 4th. We invited his best friend and fiancé and made a long weekend out of it. It's safe to say we had a blast. I think one of the best things about Nantucket is that it is perfect for every age group. Perfect for families, for groups of friends, teens, children, couples traveling together, etc. There is truly something for everyone. 

I am sharing the details from our trip and what we did each day so if you are planning a long weekend getaway to Nantucket you can check out some of the things we recommend. 
Where we stayed: We stayed at this Airbnb. I've mostly stayed in town when I'm on Nantucket and I love it. I think if you are staying for a week ++, then staying further from town makes sense, but if you are just there for a long weekend, having immediate walking access to town is what I recommend! I highly recommend our Airbnb. It was adorable and clean. It had all the amenities you could need and was very private. It even had a big yard with lounge furniture. It is a quick walk from town/the ferry. 

How to get there: I think this all depends on where you are coming from. I usually fly from Pittsburgh to Boston and then transfer to Cape Air to land on Nantucket. I have also flown Jet Blue which flies to Boston and then you switch planes and it flies you right onto the island. 

This time, we were visiting friends in Boston, so we drove with them to the ferry on Friday morning, parked the car in one of the paid lots and hopped on the ferry. It's an easy drive from Boston and the ferry is great. We took the fast ferry but there is a slower option, too. 

At Cisco Brewers
Dress//Sunglasses
Friday
Early afternoon: Arrive on the Hy-Line Ferry (the fast ferry). We headed to our Airbnb and unpacked and freshened up. We then headed to Cisco which is something I suggest doing every time you go. It's a brewery/winery/distillery outdoors and has food trucks/stands and often has live music! 

Evening: After Cisco, we headed to Brotherhood's outdoor patio in town for dinner. We had stayed at Ciscos pretty much all afternoon and had worked up quite the appetite. Their lobster roll is one of my favorites because the amount of fresh lobster that is on each roll is insane! It's so delicious and it's one of the cheaper rolls on the island, too! 

Night: We capped off the night with Juice Bar ice cream. My favorite this year was cookie dough! 



Saturday 
Morning: We enjoyed coffee at our Airbnb and got ready for the day. It was so nice to have a Nespresso with lots of pods, we really appreciated it and being able to lounge around in a cute setting. 

Noon: We headed to Something Natural, which in my opinion, is the best sandwich on the island. Their Portuguese bread is the best thing in the world.  It's an unassuming little shop set back from the road, so it's easy to miss, but it's so worth it. They have cute little picnic tables so you can eat there or take it to-go. 

Afternoon: We walked from Something Natural to Steps Beach which is one of the prettiest beaches! You can see how it got the name! We walked on Steps Beach, past Galley Beach to get to Sandbar at Jetties and enjoyed some cocktails at the beach bar. It was such a beautiful day we just sat around and chatted all afternoon! It's nice that we have all been to Nantucket before so we didn't feel like we needed to cram anything in so the entire weekend was very leisurely. We headed back into town to stop at Murray's Liquor to grab some wine for our Airbnb and did a little browsing in some of the shops. The shopping on Nantucket is next level. The boutiques are the cutest and curated with all of the best things. 

Evening: We got ready for dinner at our Airbnb and made a little snack try and enjoyed some bubbly while getting ready! For dinner, we headed to Lola 41 which is just outside of town and has the best sushi... they also have a burger (this is the same company as Lola Burger) so you can have the Lola Burger experience here, too. 

The sun was about to set so walked to Brant Point Lighthouse to take in the scenery. It's so beautiful there and under a blanket of orange and pink, it was even more beautiful than ever. 

Night: Can you guess how we capped off the night? Juice bar. Again. Did you know I love ice cream?! We were going to head to the Chicken Box, which is a bar with live music, but we are old now and decided to call it a night, haha!

At Galley Beach
Sunday
Morning: Another slow lazy morning enjoying our coffee at the house and then we walked to Blackeyed Susan's for breakfast. It's the cutest little spot right in town and the food is delicious. 

Afternoon: We headed to Sconset which is on the eastern side of the island and did the Bluff Walk which has the most amazing views of the ocean but also a great place to take in all of the adorable houses along the route. We headed down to the beach to hang out as it was such a gorgeous day! We worked up an appetite and went to Claudette's for lunch which is another sandwich shop and it's delicious, too! 

We headed back to the house for a nap but not before stopping at the candy store, which I think is a hidden gem... because I love candy! It's hidden in the back of Force 5 (which is a surf shop) and has all of the candy you could ever want and literally costs pennies. 

Evening: After our nap we freshened up and headed to Galley Beach for cocktails. I wrote a whole post on it, here, so check that out! We then went to the Club Car for cocktails, and just like the name suggests, the bar is literally in a club car! It's so cute and is a Piano bar at night where you can sing along! 

Night: We ended the night at Cru which is right on the Wharf! We celebrated my fiancé's birthday with champagne and lobster rolls. These are warm buttery lobster rolls and the roll I dream of. I can never decide if this is my favorite or if 167 Raw's roll in Charleston is my favorite. Nonetheless, the food is incredible. It's pricey and a little dressier so it's a fun place to celebrate!

Monday 
Morning: We headed to town to have an early breakfast at Lemon Press, which we loved. This was new to me and I loved their coffee and the smoothie that I got. My fiancé got overnight oats and loved that, too! We then did a little shopping and then headed back to our Airbnb to pack up! 

Afternoon: We headed towards the ferry but stopped at Provisions to grab sandwiches for the ride... the theme of this weekend was definitely lobster and sandwiches so needless to say it was perfect. Provisions is another really good spot- they have the best pickles but it's their Turkey Terrific sandwich that I am a huge fan of. It's like Thanksgiving all in between two pieces of bread. YUM.

More Posts About Nantucket:

No comments:

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure