Friday, July 12, 2019

Nordstrom Anniversary Sale 2019 Early Access

Nordstrom Anniversary Sale 2019

The Nordstrom Anniversary Sale is LIVE today at 12:30pm EST. The sale is shoppable to those with the Nordstrom Credit Card, this is also known as Early Access. If you do not have the card, you will be able to shop the sale on Friday, July 19th! See my post, here, for any other details you'd like to know about the sale!

Below you can see my thoughts and first impressions from the sale. There was a LOT of stuff this year and weeding through it took me so many hours, but it was fun to see everything.

My Thoughts
Overall, I think that the sale seems oversaturated with Nordstrom brands. There are SO many Nordstrom brands now, it's hard to keep track. In case you don't know, they are brands like Halogen, Caslon, 1901, Zella, BP, etc. You can check out this Business Insider article that talks about each brand and you can see where Nordstrom lists the brands, here. I feel like this year there were a lot less outside brands participating in the sale which makes me disappointed because that's usually where you get the best buys on brand name items. 

I also noticed a lot of repeat things from years past. Lots of the same cardigans, camisoles, boots, etc. I didn't love any of the bags or sunglasses that much. The makeup, beauty, skincare, etc. are the best deals and the best selection in my opinion! Now is the time to try new skincare or makeup that you have been holding off on. The prices are really good for what you get. I had been wanting to try this Estee Lauder serum- I have heard rave reviews and I'm going to snag it!

In terms of higher quality Nordstrom in-house brands, I really like 1901 which skews more conservative/preppy and then Nordstrom brand items which offer great higher end closet basics like cashmere sweaters. I also like Zella. I think some of their pieces/styles can be hit or miss, but I have found some real gems that are comparable to Lululemon for a lot less!

I am very discerning when it comes to sharing pieces from this sale. I am not going to show you a $30 t-shirt and rave about what a good deal it is... you can find way better deals elsewhere and I shared an example of this on my instastories earlier this week as well as an example below!

The pieces I select are what I believe to be the best buys. To me, the best buys are pieces that are nicely discounted and also classic items that you might have for years to come! I'll include things I already have and love, too!

Things I'm Excited About 
- I am so excited about this cashmere sweater. It looks identical to my most-worn Vince sweater. I hope it is comparable quality, I ordered! You can see me wearing the Vince version in this post, here.

- SO happy that this Giraffe throw is included in the sale. I promise you that this is the softest blanket you will ever have. It's so pricey, to begin with, but the sale price is definitely better. I am ordering this so that my fiancĂ© and I each have one for the basement and the living room! It comes in a bunch of colors and also different sizes, but the XL is the way to go. These blankets are not exactly 'chic' looking... so I have a basket (in both my basement and living room) for my non-decorative blankets that don't necessarily go with my decor but are so soft and cozy- that is where this gets stored when not in use. I am also dying because they make the blanket in a robe version. I imagine this is the coziest thing ever. I'm holding restraint because I already have so many great robes, but if you are in need of winter robe, this is it!

- I was hoping for more Vince sweaters than what was presented. I love this cardigan- I got something similar to it in years past and it has been one of my most-worn sweaters. I love to splurge on Vince pieces because the quality is so great.

- There is a great selection of Barbour overall! I like this brand because it is high-quality, beautiful, and functional!

- There is also a great selection of Patagonia- I own so many pieces and love all of them! They ar high quality and functional!

This navy dress is the most beautiful Kate Middleton lookalike dress I have seen! It's a classic and flattering silhouette that you can wear for a multitude of occasions and would be great for a more conservative office.

- Love my Hunter Tour Boots! They are packable so they fold up in your luggage so easily! I also find them easier to move in than regular Hunter boots. They look exactly the same as the originals! There are a lot of different Hunter styles available if the Tour isn't your thing!

- They had this diamond bangle bracelet last year and I'm including it again this year. The sale price is good- the full price is not a good deal and you can find better deals elsewhere, but the sale price is worth it!! I have a bracelet similar to this and I never take it off. It's one of my all-time favorite pieces of classic, understated jewelry. Bloomingdale's always has such good prices on their in-house fine jewelry... here's a comparable bracelet with double the carat weight for a similar price while it's on sale ($2300.. sadly, it is not on sale right now but goes on sale often).

- These Frye boots are beautiful. I think a nice pair of brown riding boots are a wardrobe staple that never go out of style and last forever. There are also the Tory Burch riding boots that are included in the sale each year. I have a pair from years past but they don't have the logo on them. The big logo on the boots kind of turns me off, to be honest! But, if you are OK with the logo, the quality is really nice.

This Chanel Chance gift set is such a good deal. This is one of my newest favorite perfumes. It's light and fresh and lasts all day!

This Dior Lip Glow set is amazing!! There are two sets, one in 'pink' and one in 'berry' which happen to be my two favorite shades that Dior makes in the Lip Glows. The pink shade is more of a balm because it doesn't have a ton of color. The berry color is definitely a purple-red shade with much more color. But both are great for everyday use because they are balms and overall the entire lip glow line does not have a ton of saturated color. No mirror needed to apply! This is one of my holy grail makeup products. 

These Dennis Gross Peel sets are truly amazing. These are the extra strength version and the price cannot be beaten. I actually find them to be too strong for daily use so you could easily use every other day or every few days. I plan on using these leading up to my wedding because I truly find that they make my skin as clear as can be, soft, and also make my pores look smaller!

- The price of these Frame jeans is SO good. The brand is usually very pricey, so if you can find them for under $150, it's a deal. I find Frame to have a nice fit and are of good quality...I ordered these!

This top is inexpensive and is so cute... It can be worn now with white jeans and later in the fall with dark jeans and heels for a cute date night look. This was one of the more inexpensive pieces that I loved! I ordered this.

These bras are great to lounge in. With a savings of $8, making them under $14, I find these to be a good deal.

The cashmere travel scarf is back again this year. This is a good deal.. under $100 for a cashmere scarf of this size is near impossible to find and because of the low price, it makes a lovely, generous gift. It won't be the most luxurious cashmere you have ever felt, but still a great purchase... If you can splurge a bit more, try this travel scarf from Bloomingdale's. It often goes on sale from time to time and is larger, more luxurious and more comparable to my favorite White and Warren travel cashmere scarves!

- Love the blue color of this winter coat so much.

Things I'd Pass On
- Jewelry like this pavĂ© diamond stackable ring is not a good buy.... .13 carats of diamonds is TINY. You can find a much higher carat weight at probably the same quality if not better at a better price! Same with this bracelet, still not a great price! If you're looking for Bony Levy at a better price, Nordstrom Rack usually has a big selection at great prices throughout the year.

- $1130 for face cream? No thanks. If you want a pricey luxury cream, skip La Mer and check out Augustinus Bader... I have been dying to get my hands on a bottle but just haven't taken the plunge yet...I mean it's a lot for a face cream!!

The Diptyque sets are not a good value this year. You're better off buying a full-price Diptyque candle instead of the shot glass sized set of candles. You will pay only a few dollars more and get a longer burning candle. The sets are only good if you plan on breaking them up into small gifts to give/have on hand to give during the holidays.

$24 for a turtleneck is a nice price, but I honestly don't think these are the type of deals that you need to rush and buy. You can find pieces like this at Old Navy and likely with similar quality for the same price if not less! Here's a turtleneck on Everlane's website for only $22 (and that's full price!) and as a bonus, Everlane's is mostly cotton whereas the Nordstrom version is a mix of synthetic materials.

This cardigan, which comes in a ton of different colors will be a big seller. Take a look at what it's made of... it's not made of the best fibers, but because it has a lot of nylon in it, it might be a great option if you are looking for a travel cardigan that will not wrinkle... the 5% cashmere will make it soft. They also have it in a longer version (like a duster).

- A lot of the Halogen brand pieces are made with 'acrylic', which usually equates with low quality/cheap feel and tend to pill. Who knows, they might be very nice in person, but this is a fabric that I just personally try to limit as much as possible in my wardrobe. This sweater is an example of a great piece coming from the Halogen brand- made with just wool and cashmere!

- There are a few cute J.Crew pieces included in the sale. I think if you 'need' the item right this second, then go for it. But, in my experience, J.Crew is always on sale, so there isn't really a rush to snag these on sale. They'll likely go on sale on J.Crew's site for less before it's even chilly enough to wear them!

More Pieces I Love:
More Anniversary Sale Content:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for your honesty and transparency. Among so many bloggers telling us we “need” everything from the sale, this is very refreshing to hear. I especially love your call outs on what may be a waste of money, and as always, your picks are timeless and beautiful. Thanks for continuing to be a blogger I enjoy following and whose advice I trust!

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure