Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Wedding Wednesday


Today's Wedding Wednesday comes in heavy as it is SO heartbreaking for all those who have had to postpone their weddings, cancel their bachelorettes, showers, etc. etc. I know I said that we would keep business as usual here on Summer Wind, but I would be remiss not to say something.

It's absolutely unimaginable, isn't it? If someone told you a month or two ago that you'd have to cancel anything wedding-related because of a global pandemic, we would have all gotten a good chuckle. It almost feels like we are all living some sort of sick nightmare.

Being a bride is supposed to be a period filled with excitement and joy and even if your wedding is a year out, this situation makes everything harder and really takes the joy out of things. However, I'm a big believer in looking for the silver lining, and honestly, that's all we can do at this point.

We ended up canceling our honeymoon, which was supposed to be mid-June. To be quite honest, that was the last of our worries. As excited as we were, we know that can always be replanned or rebooked. It's unfortunate, but again, there are so many bigger problems in the world right now.

I received so many sweet, thoughtful, and kind messages in regard to our wedding and it has meant so much. Something I think that is so important in this time (but really always) is to spread kindness and compassion. It has been so heartwarming to see kindness shine through and I only hope I can spread that kindness around as well. We all could use it!

To be quite frank, I have been an absolute mess. I have long dealt with anxiety but it has always been manageable. At this time, my anxiety is through the roof and it has become difficult to manage. Orange Theory has helped immensely with my anxiety but as that's closed, I've been trying to keep up with my at-home workouts for my mental health alone. 

 As of now, we have not canceled/postponed our wedding and are proceeding as such, but the news is changing daily, so who's really to know at this point. I will be continuing with my regular Wedding Wednesday posts. Like I mentioned in my previous post, I plan to keep as much normalcy here as possible and these posts bring me joy! Of course, the lingering of the unknown is constantly top of mind, as I am sure many of you can relate to- even if you are not planning a wedding. Taking it day-by-day is what I have been doing. At the end of the night, I try to think happy thoughts, like 'Ok, I am thankful because I got through another day.' 

I have had a few requests to be a resource to brides at this time on what to do. I know you all look to me for wedding advice and enjoy my wedding Wednesday posts. I know many who look to influencers/bloggers in general to be leaders, and I totally get that. But to be honest, I don't know anything more than anyone else does. I feel just as in the dark as you all feel. I so wish I could predict the future for every single one of you. The fear of the unknown is heavy to carry. 

Weddings come in all shapes and sizes and so there is no blanket advice that I could give to everyone. The news is changing so rapidly. I think the experts and leaders in this situation are your vendors/venue/church/etc. They will guide you and hopefully accommodate you in whatever situation you are in. And remember, the vendors are also in this, too, so be kind to them even if you are not getting the answers you want to hear. We are ALL in this together.

As always, you can e-mail me about anything at all. If you are a bride and just need a shoulder to cry on or need me to lend an ear, I am here and welcome your e-mails with open arms and will reply to you as fast and best I can. One of the biggest joys of my job is to be able to connect with all of you amazing women!

16 comments:

Gentry Adams said...

I’m a May 30 bride and we are in the same boat- proceeding as planned but having no idea what the future holds! We talked about our backup plan last night - something I never thought I’d have to do! I totally know how you are feeling & we are all in this together ❤️

Nann K said...

It is good to open up and communicate your feelings (whether good or bad). You have the support from people who know you, as well as, those of us you don't know at all. Love your site/blog. Amazing job! Also, let the readers know what you need. Like you said, we are all in this together.

Nann K said...

It is good to communicate and be open whether the information is good or bad. You have support from those you know, as well as, from those of us you don't know. Love your site/blog! Amazing job. Let the readers know what you need as well. We are all in this together.

Danielle said...

I am a long time reader and have been thinking of you and your wedding plans throughout this crisis. Thank you for your daily content. I am the mother of three “socially distanced” teenagers including a college sophomore who is now home completely moved out of his dorm and taking his classes remotely (“all of the work but none of the fun”). Your movie recommendations the other day were great and we watched Father of the Bride. None of the kids wanted to watch it but all three ended up howling with laughter throughout! I had forgotten how funny Steve Martin is. So thank you for all you do! Sometimes little things really do make a difference. Thoughts and prayers for everyone affected by this.

Kelly said...

I'm a June 6 bride and while that is a ways away, it's terrifying! Our church has closed its doors to Sunday worshipers (online sermons available) and our reception venue is cancelling all events for the near future. We need to send out the invitations soon and I'm worried that we'll need to half the guest list. It even occurred to me to include a separate card in the invitation, "Please understand that in the midst of a pandemic, our plans may change. We love you all and wish you the best of health at this time." or something of that nature. I haven't even thought about the vendor contracts that would all need to change... I had to cancel my Keeneland bachelorette and my fiance's bachelor party is more than likely out the window too. I can't even imagine how my friends are feeling who have weddings planned before ours.

I write this not for pity, but to let you know, you are so not alone and we appreciate you sharing your fears with us. We're scared too. We'll get through all of this. At the end of the day, we all found great grooms and will have flourishing marriages. That's what all of this is about. But gosh I do love a big wedding. Sending love and light to you, Sydney.

Kristen Kunk said...

Thank you so much for sharing and I do hope you can have your day as you planned it. I got married a year ago and cannot imagine having to deal with this on top of the usual wedding planning stress. You are in my heart and prayers and I hope you get the day you have planned but most importantly get a day where you can celebrate love, you and your fiance and happiness. You got this!

Gina said...

Thank you for sharing your feelings without going off the deep end. Your posts + IG's (especially Henry) are something I look forward to - to keep things somewhat normal.

Emily said...

I've been thinking of you as I thought I had an idea of when the date of your wedding was. I'm already a disaster thinking about my October wedding if things really take until fall to get back to normal, so I can't even imagine how you feel. I'd love to hear more about this, your feelings, how you're handling, etc. if you would feel comfortable sharing. I think it helps to be able to talk to each other!

I know this is trivial in comparison, but my bridesmaid dress orders have to be submitted by the end of the month, but now they can't get to the store to get measured! Trying to schedule our engagement photos in the midst of this & I was planning on flying to visit my fiance on April 2nd, but not sure if that will happen either.

I just keep praying there's a miracle and this all is over soon!

Anonymous said...

My fiance and I talked about it and decided that, come heck or high water, we are getting married on our wedding day. If that means just us and a priest, so be it. Hopefully we can include immediate family too, but no matter what I want to be married to this man STAT. This situation reminds me now more than ever that you never know what is going to happen, and while we can always celebrate later, there is no need to put off the sacrament of marriage. Is it disappointing? Absolutely. But as long as we can get married, we get our ultimate prize :) I hope that mindset consoles some brides.

Anonymous said...

Good luck. For someone so young, you show tremendous class and strength, and I thoroughly enjoy reading your posts. Stay strong, and know that you are loved. I hope that everything works out for you, and that we can all quickly and safely get past COVID-19. I just celebrated my 50th, and though it was not how I envisioned it, I was surrounded by loved ones.

Anonymous said...

Sydney, my thoughts have been with you during this time of uncertainty. The waiting is just the hardest part, isn't it? I hope you can find the silver lining in all this. Hopefully the church would allow a small amount of family for your small ceremony and perhaps let someone live-stream to your other friends? Ugh, my heart breaks just typing this, but as someone wrote above... the sacrament and your marriage is the most important thing. (and hopefully your Grandma being there!) And you can have the biggest party of all parties when we're all on the other side of this. As someone who struggles with anxiety too, I find it best to talk it out - the next steps, the plans, my worries, the solutions, etc. Even if it means talking to myself on the sidewalk! GOOD LUCK. (also this is from your instagram follower that sent you the cabbage ware at Savvy Fox :) :)

Unknown said...

You look incredible in that photo! So beautiful!

Anonymous said...

So sorry you are dealing with this as well. I am a May 23 bride and going through the same thing. Our plan is to wait until mid-April before making the final call to postpone. There is always the possibility that a vaccine or treatment will be developed in the next few weeks. In the meantime we have a note on our wedding website letting people know that we are moving forward as planned but will contact guests if anything changes.

We are trying to stay positive, but it is unbelievably hard to spend over a year planning, dreaming and working toward something only to have it completely blow up like this. You are not alone in feeling anxious and sad. I have really enjoyed your Wedding Wednesday posts, and no matter what happens I hope you will continue to share so that we can all feel less alone. <3

Andra said...

You are a very classy and elegant woman. I have enjoyed your blog and instagram so very much. You have a fantastic sense of style and always conduct yourself with the grace of an adult. You're going to get through this --- we all are. I have anxiety as well and the physical workouts have been helping me get through it. I am a swimmer and a ride my bicycle sometimes. Keep up the physical activity and you will be fine. I don't know if you're a religious or spiritual person. I have found taking a few minutes of reflection during the day helps to ease my anxiety as well. Take good care of yourself.

Jess said...

Oh no! Long time reader here and I’ve been following along with your wedding posts, especially as I have been planning my own wedding at the same exact time! I just had to cancel my wedding that was in early June due to state bans in NJ (where I was getting married) and my venue closing, so I totally empathize. Best of luck to you!! There is always a silver lining and your wedding will turn out beautiful no matter what happens.

sls1295 said...

Not wedding related but. Any chance you can use a darker font ? I find this too hard to read. Thanks

 

© Summer Wind Blog 2017 / site design by kiki and co. / disclosure